17fe5089493d2bab71513e29075c3548caffce39 (resized).jpg
c3c98cabea35c3c087d155ef6284649fb061dbff (resized).jpg
IMG_0169 (resized).jpg
20170405_223645 (resized).jpg
20170405_220701 (resized).jpg
IMG_3007 (resized).JPG
IMG_0317 (resized).JPG
IMG_0011 (resized).JPG
There are 144 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 7 years ago

2005, Arlington TX

I don't look anything like that today

IMG_0169 (resized).jpgIMG_0169 (resized).jpg

#102 7 years ago

I'm not sure between #1 and #2, but I think I'd go
#1 - Vulgar Display
#2 - Far Beyond Driven
#3 - CFH
#4 - TGSTK
#5 - Reinventing the Steel

#103 7 years ago

Got this for Christmas

17fe5089493d2bab71513e29075c3548caffce39 (resized).jpg17fe5089493d2bab71513e29075c3548caffce39 (resized).jpg
c3c98cabea35c3c087d155ef6284649fb061dbff (resized).jpgc3c98cabea35c3c087d155ef6284649fb061dbff (resized).jpg

#104 7 years ago

Phil I believe you just put a small surge in sales on that book. Gotta have it. Funny our top 5 is reversed, with Vulgar being 3 and CFH being 5 for me.
I forgot there was a few Canadians on here that I liked.

#105 7 years ago

Really! Vulgar last!

It takes all kinds I guess, brother! I was really into BLS for a while too (saw your Zakk Wylde Marshall back there) but rarely think of listening to them anymore. Saw him with Ozzy a bunch of times, including one time he had to be propped up but could still play pretty good... didn't care much for his antics.
I don't listen to a whole lot of straight up metal much anymore actually, but Pantera I've really stuck with. The cream of the crop IMO, some of the finest american metal ever, created a whole new genre for better and more often for worse.

The book is really nice, there's quite a bit of reading material and the pictures obviously are awesome.

I also read the tell-all book by Rex... a lot of dirty laundry in there I'm not sure needed to be washed in public, but some very interesting insights anyway.

#106 7 years ago

Vulgar 3rd for me behind RTS and GSTK. Cowboys would be 5th for me. I've always thought that this was THE one band you could smell getting better and better with every album.

#107 7 years ago

I bought that ZW mini cause the Kerry Kings were sold out. Can't say I've ever really liked it.
WTT : ZW for KK.

#108 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Vulgar 3rd for me behind RTS and GSTK. Cowboys would be 5th for me. I've always thought that this was THE one band you could smell getting better and better with every album.

Oh! Sorry I misread... yeah I can see why somebody would put CFH last. They didn't quite have that heaviness and that groove yet.
To me they hit the sweet spot at Vulgar and FBD and then they got a little too far off after that (there's some songs I love on TGSTK though, RTS I feel they were starting to lose the inspiration and being heavy for the sake of being heavy)

#109 7 years ago

BLASPHEMY

#110 7 years ago

If you're Phil's buddy and yer texting him, and use an emoji, it's 100% certain that Phil is gonna punch you in the face later. Just realized that.

#111 7 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

I'm not sure between #1 and #2, but I think I'd go
#1 - Vulgar Display
#2 - Far Beyond Driven
#3 - CFH
#4 - TGSTK
#5 - Reinventing the Steel

#1 vulgar, tgstk, fbd, cfh
#2 Reinventing the Steel
#3 101 proof

#112 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

If you're Phil's buddy and yer texting him, and use an emoji, it's 100% certain that Phil is gonna punch you in the face later. Just realized that.

Bahahaha don't let that pic fool you I was trying to look like a badass back then but I'm just a geeky software developer with spindly arms that can't harm anybody.

#113 7 years ago
Quoted from mario_1_up:

#1 vulgar, tgstk, fbd, cfh
#2 Reinventing the Steel
#3 101 proof

I like 101 proof, was the only cassette in my Walkman for a long time...

#114 7 years ago

I was into bls but kinda feel out from listening to them. I still rock my coat from time to time.

20170406_215109 (resized).jpg20170406_215109 (resized).jpg

20170406_215120 (resized).jpg20170406_215120 (resized).jpg

#115 7 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Bahahaha don't let that pic fool you I was trying to look like a badass back then but I'm just a geeky software developer with spindly arms that can't harm anybody.

I was actually saying that because I just used a stupid emoji. I meant Phil A., but I ain't texting you any dumb emojis either killer.

#116 7 years ago

Revenge
I'm screaming revenge again!

if you are talking pantera you cant go past Vulgar Display of Power imo. soooo good. i saw them several times, whenever they made the trip down to NZ.

#117 7 years ago

I have those 2 VHS tapes from pantera (valgar video & ???) great stuff

#118 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

You make all of us other fans look like weak posers

Quoted from Gryszzz:

I thought I was cool with my 5 Maiden shirts...but yer shit's on a new level.

Gryszzz,

We know you ain't no weak poser.
20160529_150648 (resized).jpg20160529_150648 (resized).jpg
20160529_150807 (resized).jpg20160529_150807 (resized).jpg

Side story:
Were hangin out in the Indy 500 infield near 3rd/4th turns before the race started, and there are tons of people walking by.
All of a sudden Gryszzz yells out "AC/DC", "Yeah!" with a big fist pump when he saw a guy wearing an AC/DC t-shirt.
Just as the guy is starting to look up to see who called out and to give a cool acknowledgement back, Gryszzz hollers out "Best pinball machine ever!", and then the AC/DC dude and everyone around look at each other with sort of a blank wtf look on their face as the keep walking. I cracked up and was thinking to myself, that's a Gryszzz classic right there.

Ok, back to Pantera! Carry on.

#119 7 years ago
Quoted from pascal-pinball:

I have those 2 VHS tapes from pantera (valgar video & ???) great stuff

They made 3 vhs tapes. Cowboys from hell, vulgar display of power and pantera 3.

#120 7 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

2005, Arlington TX

Are you more bald nowadays?

#121 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Are you more bald nowadays?

Haha! Yes, but I've accepted it so I don't shave off what's remaining

13731507_10153576483690755_8969653681250721865_n (resized).jpg13731507_10153576483690755_8969653681250721865_n (resized).jpg

#122 7 years ago

Lol at Mike's pics up there. See ya next month man! I liked her friend with the semi translucent top too. Great race, I think.
CAM01799 (resized).jpgCAM01799 (resized).jpg

#123 7 years ago

Fucking love pictures with girls in em!

#125 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Lol at Mike's pics up there. See ya next month man! I liked her friend with the semi translucent top too. Great race, I think.

Hey Gryszzz, I have the exact same Maiden t-shirt yer wearing! Gonna go dig it out.

#126 7 years ago

Just picked this April 1994 beaut up

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#127 7 years ago

Picture of my band and I playing, I'm on drums, best feeling in the world

IMG_0183 (resized).JPGIMG_0183 (resized).JPG

#128 7 years ago

Back to Pantera

#129 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-DOOD:

Just picked this April 1994 beaut up

Wow I still have that issue from when I bought it in high school!

Also my mom just found an old Korg poster in my old stuff - it has Dime and Ace Frehley together - taken about the same time as that guitar world cover

#130 7 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Wow I still have that issue from when I bought it in high school!
Also my mom just found an old Korg poster in my old stuff - it has Dime and Ace Frehley together - taken about the same time as that guitar world cover

I know what you're talking about, man! Keep those! They are going up in value

1 week later
#131 7 years ago

After listening after the last few days I decided Cowboys from hell is my personal favorite.

I like vulgar display and I listened to it and Cowboys when they came out.
I like how they pushed to be harder continually.

Cowboys has heresy domination and shattered probably my three favorites.
It also had many others like cemetery gates, arguably the prettiest metal song ever made. It also has psycho holiday.

That guitarist is a loss to the rock world. No doubt. I'm on for Cowboys number one. I have to pick one.

#132 7 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

After listening after the last few days I decided Cowboys from hell is my personal favorite.
I like vulgar display and I listened to it and Cowboys when they came out.
I like how they pushed to be harder continually.
Cowboys has heresy domination and shattered probably my three favorites.
It also had many others like cemetery gates, arguably the prettiest metal song ever made. It also has psycho holiday.
That guitarist is a loss to the rock world. No doubt. I'm on for Cowboys number one. I have to pick one.

Art of shredding is awesome on that album, my favorite underrated tune

#133 7 years ago

I agree. Reinventing is my ALL time favorite though The record is scarily brutal the whole time

#134 7 years ago

I'd have to say Far Beyond Driven is my favorite, so heavy and dark.

#135 7 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I'd have to say Far Beyond Driven is my favorite, so heavy and dark.

I love the Sabbath cover at the end... Dime issues such a beautifully melodic solo at the end, it is out of this world

#137 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-DOOD:

I love the Sabbath cover at the end... Dime issues such a beautifully melodic solo at the end, it is out of this world

Agreed, awesome cover and awesome solo.

#138 7 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

2005, Arlington TX

Thats not only Dimes resting place, he's buried with Eddie VanHalens guitar. He wanted a copy of it and never had it built. Eddie Van Halen had the original 79 Charvel used to record the VanHalen II album put in the casket. I swore that story had to be bullshit when I heard it, gave me the chills when I found out it was true.

#139 7 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

Thats not only Dimes resting place, he's buried with Eddie VanHalens guitar. He wanted a copy of it and never had it built. Eddie Van Halen had the original 79 Charvel used to record the VanHalen II album put in the casket. I swore that story had to be bullshit when I heard it, gave me the chills when I found out it was true.

Yes, I read that in Rex's book

"Terry Glaze said at the funeral that if we'd told Darrell that he'd be buried with Eddie's striped Kramer off the cover of Van Halen when he was seventeen, he would have probably said, 'Okay, kill me now.'"

#140 7 years ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

Dude, you forget how many people here thing Rush would make a great theme for a pinball-- it's been at least 35 years since Rush was relevant. Trying to sell them on Pantera is going to be tough.
That said, I'm not a huge Pantera fan (I like them well enough in small doses, but it's a little heavy for my personal tastes), but when I was working in radio back in the early 90s, they did a couple of shows at a local venue that my station did a lot of promotion for and I did the stage introductions for them. I chatted with them a little bit in the backstage area before the show, and they were nice to me (even Phil...). Lots of good memories of those days, I got to hang out with a lot of up and coming bands. Would have stuck with it, but the pay was just awful.

Not sure but if you are saying RUSH has not been relevant for 35 years you are very much mistaken, but if so you are indeed totally and I mean extremely totally clueless. Clock Work Angels (2014) went platinum. I re-read your post and I see that you are indeed clueless. Check out total records sold, 20+ gold records from 1972-2014 and I would have to say you are clue less. But nice try. At least you love pinball, I do too, just not to clued in on music.

#141 7 years ago
Quoted from PinHead2112:

Not sure but if you are saying RUSH has not been relevant for 35 years you are very much mistaken, but if so you are indeed totally and I mean extremely totally clueless. Clock Work Angels (2014) went platinum. I re-read your post and I see that you are indeed clueless. Check out total records sold, 20+ gold records from 1972-2014 and I would have to say you are clue less. But nice try. At least you love pinball, I do too, just not to clued in on music.

They have a fanbase. They sell records. That doesn't make them relevant. Oh, and it's been more than 20 years since they had a gold record in the US. US releases require 500,000 sales to become gold, releases in Canada require a pitiful 40,000 sales to become gold records. US releases require 1,000,000 sales to become platinum, releases in Canada require a miniscule 80,000.

25 years ago I was working in radio and they were not relevant then either-- they were relegated to the "classic rock" channels, along with all of their shitty prog rock contemporaries.

I get it, you like them. That still doesn't make them relevant - they are a vestigial hanger-on of a sub-genre of rock that died in the early 80s. There are lots of bands that I like that aren't any more relevant than Rush. I like them because I like them... that doesn't mean they are "worthy" of a pinball. Rather than accepting the truth and moving on, you chose to personally malign and attack me. Grow up.

#142 7 years ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

I get it, you like them. That still doesn't make them relevant - they are a vestigial hanger-on of a sub-genre of rock that died in the early 80s. There are lots of bands that I like that aren't any more relevant than Rush. I like them because I like them... that doesn't mean they are "worthy" of a pinball. Rather than accepting the truth and moving on, you chose to personally malign and attack me. Grow up.

You not liking them doesn't make them irrelevant, either. Geddy Lee just played bass for Yes at this years Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame ceremony, filling in for the amazing Chris Squire. How many musicians who you consider irrelevant were on the stage that night?

#143 7 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

You not liking them doesn't make them irrelevant, either. Geddy Lee just played bass for Yes at this years Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame ceremony, filling in for the amazing Chris Squire. How many musicians who you consider irrelevant were on the stage that night?

I didn't comment on whether or not I liked them. Only that they are no longer relevant. I would consider Yes to be no longer relevant as well.

#144 7 years ago

Another way of looking at Rush... for the under-35 crowd, I'd bet more of them know of Rush from Alex Lifeson's appearance in The Trailer Park Boys than they do from the music.

There are 144 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-ing-pantera-nsfw/page/3?hl=pinhead2112 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.