17fe5089493d2bab71513e29075c3548caffce39 (resized).jpg
c3c98cabea35c3c087d155ef6284649fb061dbff (resized).jpg
IMG_0169 (resized).jpg
20170405_223645 (resized).jpg
20170405_220701 (resized).jpg
IMG_3007 (resized).JPG
IMG_0317 (resized).JPG
IMG_0011 (resized).JPG
There are 144 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 7 years ago

Sorry for the profanity holy fuck pantera is amazing. I miss a band like this, are there any left?

I can't play Cowboys from hell loud enough right now. That guitarist is insanely good.

#2 7 years ago

Oh I thought you meant the car; fuck the band.

#3 7 years ago

Fuck De Tomaso, the band did more good for the world than any car manufacturer ever could!

If your in to Pantera, you will probably like Down and Damageplan - both bands containing members of Pantera after the breakup. You'll probably also like other groove metal bands like Sepultura, Exhorder and Machine Head.

#4 7 years ago

Used to regularly listen to Cowboys From Hell and Vulgar Display of Power. Was fortunate enough to see them live semi-locally back in 2000. Great show.

My tastes have mellowed a bit since then, but I still give them a few listens on Spotify when I'm in the mood.

band2 (resized).jpgband2 (resized).jpg

#5 7 years ago

I liked Pantera back in the day, saw them live a couple of times. I will say though, their music doesn't stand up well to time. It's pretty corny and not particularly good. Except Vince... Vince could be the best drummer in rock history. Vince is a really good drummer.

#6 7 years ago

I saw them on the Cowboys From Hell tour. They were good but the headlining band Suicidal Tendencies was better.

#7 7 years ago

lruigq6 (resized).jpglruigq6 (resized).jpg

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from CentiZen:

Fuck De Tomaso, the band did more good for the world than any car manufacturer ever could!

Well I'll go as far to say they are def better than cock-rock bands like Iron Maiden & Motley Crew...so they have that going for them.

#9 7 years ago

How could Pantera's music not stand up well to time? Some of the best metal ever out of the 90's and still is. Lay off the drugs...

#10 7 years ago

Dimebag Darrell was the shit. Still hard to believe what happened to him.

DBD (resized).jpgDBD (resized).jpg

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

Used to regularly listen to Cowboys From Hell and Vulgar Display of Power. Was fortunate enough to see them live semi-locally back in 2000. Great show.
My tastes have mellowed a bit since then, but I still give them a few listens on Spotify when I'm in the mood.

Why are there heads all pointed skywards?? Some kid of chip on there shoulders

#12 7 years ago

Reinventing the Steel never gets old. Sure Phil is an asshole, but Dime was something special. Won so many Best Guitarist in TX contests (as a 16-19 yr old kid at that!!) that they finally told him he couldn't compete anymore. I sure miss him.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

I was JUST telling a friend about Pantera back in the day. I still Vulgar Display of Power is one of the top records of all time - and Cowboys isn't far behind!

The lyrics occasionally leave a bit to be desired, but the Abbott brothers were the Van Halens of the 90s. Just all groove, magic everywhere. And Phil Anselmo's voice on those records is just unmatched. He was a PHENOMENAL vocalist back in the day (look up their album "Power Metal") ... lots of cheese before they became THE Pantera but the vocals are in Rob Halford territory, then growling then grungy... full trip.

I have a hard time with Damageplan... that should have been on fire, but it's lacking a lot.. no groove, just strained shouting from Pat Lachman (who is an amazing guitarist). Down is a trip though - a lot of those tunes were written by Phil.

#14 7 years ago

Cowboys from Hell is my f***ing ringtone!

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Reinventing the Steel never gets old. Sure Phil is an asshole, but Dime was something special. Won so many Best Guitarist in TX contests (as a 16-19 yr old kid at that!!) that they finally told him he couldn't compete anymore. I sure miss him.

There's video of the last contest he won (at 17 I think) where he was barred from them because he just kept on winning! It's the one where he plays some of Floods (from Trendkill) in the solo

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Well I'll go as far to say they are def better than cock-rock bands like Iron Maiden & Motley Crew...so they have that going for them.

Maiden isn't cock rock though

What do you call that? Maiden!

#17 7 years ago

The outro on Floods. The talent man, the talent he had.

#18 7 years ago

Guess I know what I'm cranking up tonight.... cheers to you Mike, Dime, and metalheads everywhere.

#19 7 years ago

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

#20 7 years ago

Is that Revolution is my Name?

Did they make a video for Goddamn Electric?

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

The outro on Floods still brings a tear to my eye. Not really, but SO damn good. The talent man, the talent he had.

Word. Cemetery gates for me. I think that's still one of the best solos I've ever heard, in any genre

#22 7 years ago

Thirteen
Thirteen
Thirteen
Thirteen
Thirteen
Thirteen
STEPS

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

The outro on Floods still brings a tear to my eye. Not really, but SO damn good. The talent man, the talent he had.

Dimebag was the man! Period. Go listen to "13 Steps to Nowhere" from the Trendkill album. Simply a work of art. Backing vocals from Seth Putnam. Just over the f'en top when cranked to max!

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Dude, you forget how many people here thing Rush would make a great theme for a pinball-- it's been at least 35 years since Rush was relevant. Trying to sell them on Pantera is going to be tough.

That said, I'm not a huge Pantera fan (I like them well enough in small doses, but it's a little heavy for my personal tastes), but when I was working in radio back in the early 90s, they did a couple of shows at a local venue that my station did a lot of promotion for and I did the stage introductions for them. I chatted with them a little bit in the backstage area before the show, and they were nice to me (even Phil...). Lots of good memories of those days, I got to hang out with a lot of up and coming bands. Would have stuck with it, but the pay was just awful.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

Dude, you forget how many people here thing Rush would make a great theme for a pinball-- it's been at least 35 years since Rush was relevant. Trying to sell them on Pantera is going to be tough.

I remember when GNR first showed up on route. And guess what! The pinside pansies had nothing to do with it. Apparently it was a member of the band itself that was the major driving force in getting it done.

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

Sorry for the profanity holy fuck pantera is amazing. I miss a band like this, are there any left?
I can't play Cowboys from hell loud enough right now. That guitarist is insanely good.

welcome to the party! 26 years late. But welcome.

#27 7 years ago

Saw them open for Black Sabbath on their Reunion tour in '99 - both bands killed it.

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Maiden isn't cock rock though

It was a close call for sure; I almost didn't include them.
But when I really weighed everything, they still have the look, the whiny singing, & cheestastic guitar riffs...I had to put them in.

Even as I type it's a hard line...but I can;t give them a break just because they're British.

#29 7 years ago

I still play Walk, when i need to amp up for something......

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

I really tried to like that album but just couldn't get into it. Which is a shame since I loved GSTK.

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from Schusler:

I really tried to like that album but just couldn't get into it. Which is a shame since I loved GSTK.

Listening to it right now.
Suicide Note Pt II is the sickest.

#32 7 years ago

Ok I do need a little help. A friend of mine who is not on the internet once had the dime bag Donny guitar. He had to hock the thing at some point, I know he regrets it.

How hard will it be to replace. Is that an easy question.

Thanks for all the help and tips. I missed pantera live, but saw almost everyone else. I don't know what I was thinking.

#33 7 years ago

Hard to say what dean or Washburn one he had. My friend bought the dime bolt when we were in high school and still has it.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

Ok I do need a little help. A friend of mine who is not on the internet once had the dime bag Donny guitar. He had to hock the thing at some point, I know he regrets it.
How hard will it be to replace. Is that an easy question.
Thanks for all the help and tips. I missed pantera live, but saw almost everyone else. I don't know what I was thinking.

It really depends on which model. They're still selling them new.

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from Schusler:

Hellbound starts things off so nice though.

#36 7 years ago

Yesterday don't mean shit!

#37 7 years ago

I love Pantera. Such a great band. Saw them in either '99 or 2000 as a co-headliner for Ozzfest. Blew my mind.

I never cared for Down or Damage Plan. The vocalist for Damage Plan was garbage, and Phil was all doped out when he was in Down. Superjoint Ritual was surprisingly good though.

#38 7 years ago

When I looked at the thread title I thought you meant the Gottlieb pinball........"Panthera" - LOL

panthera (resized).jpgpanthera (resized).jpg

#39 7 years ago

Pantera is one band I regret not seeing. Here was one of the shirts I wore at TPF.

IMG_0048 (resized).JPGIMG_0048 (resized).JPG

#40 7 years ago

I've manged to save most of my pantera shirts.

20170404_194141 (resized).jpg20170404_194141 (resized).jpg

20170404_194058 (resized).jpg20170404_194058 (resized).jpg

20170404_194049 (resized).jpg20170404_194049 (resized).jpg

20170404_194040 (resized).jpg20170404_194040 (resized).jpg

20170404_194032 (resized).jpg20170404_194032 (resized).jpg

20170404_194024 (resized).jpg20170404_194024 (resized).jpg

20170404_194013 (resized).jpg20170404_194013 (resized).jpg

#41 7 years ago

Damn. B'dass.

#42 7 years ago

You make all of us other fans look like weak posers.

#43 7 years ago

Mf showed up with 20 t shirts and a Haunted House.
He ain't playin.

#44 7 years ago

Reinventing the Steel is the masterpiece homie. It's goddamn electric.

#45 7 years ago

I was able to see them once in either 1999 or 2000, can't remember which one. Absolutely incredible.

The band was unbelievable, but Dime was truly something special. Such a shame how he was taken.

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

"Walk on home, boy"

#47 7 years ago

I was able to see them 5 though out high school. Hands down my favorite band. And not a day goes by that I don't morn the loss of dime.

#48 7 years ago

Can't find any tapes of the 1990 Irvine show I went to so this will have to do.

#49 7 years ago

I went to a show in 1990. Not Pantera.
Was DRI and Indy legends Drop Dead. The DRI drummer threw his sticks at the end and I caught one with my face.

#50 7 years ago

I saw pantera in '93. Loved it! What was more impressive was this band no one heard of opening for them, White Zombie, they killed it! Became an instant fan. Still love to listen to both bands today.

There are 144 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-ing-pantera-nsfw/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.