Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 451 posts
  • 76 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by jeffro01
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“F-150 LIGHTNING... who’s in?”

• Yes 21 votes
      17%
    • No 75 votes
      60%
    • Eventually, but not first generation. 29 votes
      23%

(125 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ford (resized).png
    got a date (resized).png
    windpower (resized).jpg
    AlJLPhq (resized).jpg
    68d3ae4a-6864-44bb-9718-98704a9b0861-2021FordF150_062420_ES19.JPG
    L (resized).png
    870E9BDF-4D6B-446A-94E1-18FC7D7C66B0 (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 10.10.47 PM (resized).jpg
    51kRuAVth6L._AC_SL1443_ (resized).jpg
    Thk5pJ1i2xEYBsOEMnlkzd153WRwC8HeQ1BDGn1gHko (resized).jpeg
    jeep (resized).jpg
    unssdfgnamed (resized).jpg
    Ford-Mustang-Mach-E- (resized).jpg
    2022-ford-maverick-rendering-1610128093 (resized).jpg
    Untitlexasdd-1 (resized).jpg
    8250c6c3801c9fa9bfac8f01ac46264b (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robotworkshop.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#27 2 years ago

I am definitely going to look at it. I wish they would be out by the end of the year but it looks like I'll be getting one more ICE vehicle in between. A lot of the posts are complaining about distance while towing. Definitely an issue for many but there are a lot like me that only tow occasionally and the rest of the time it gets used to move furniture, kids to college and back, pinball machines, and all the trips to Lowes and Home Depot for house projects. I use the truck a lot and the convenience of moving things is a huge help. For the way I'd use it the range isn't an issue so even the initial offering is great. I think it will only get better as battereis improve and it will open it up to more people and those that need to tow often.

As for the name I personally feel it is ideal. Not only Lightning for the electricity aspect but those that mentioned performance may be happy with the acceleration of the EV. Some are pretty impressive.

#73 2 years ago
    Quoted from titanpenguin:

Under ideal situations in a controlled environment, you too can have the luxury of avoiding a complete power outage for up to 10 days provided everything you use runs off electricity.

Well for most of the outages we’ve had it was just the power was out for up to a few days. We still had water, gas, and the internet was even available. The missing piece was the electricity. So this is a case where it could help. In the past I’ve used a small generator but would prefer to use the truck battery and only go to the generator if I had too.

Big things are the blower for the furnace in the winter, some lights (most LEDs now), and the refrigerator. Seems like a good option if you happen to have it sitting in the driveway anyway.

#77 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Yes, complete marketing BS to try and pedal a product the majority of people have little interest in.
    No one seems to have brought up the fact what happens when the truck battery is exhausted after running your home and the power is not back on?
    Now you have a dead home and truck and you are stuck.

It all depends on the how you use it and if it is your only vehicle. The current constraints are fine for some. We have other vehicles in our household so that isn’t a concern. You don’t have to use the truck to power anything if you don’t want to but it is a nice option to have if it is already wired for it. For the most part outages have been hours to a couple days around here due to trees down. This could cover those.

#225 2 years ago
    Quoted from SadSack:

Do you see a lot of lawn services, framers or roofers using battery operated equipment? No. Mostly housewives and weekend warriors. Real work gets done with FUEL! I know it's hard to admit your golf-cart teslas aren't cars you can efficiently travel in. Watch a video or two.. The only people who enjoy traveling in a tesla are drunks who want two 3-hour pit stops twice a day. Like I said, we'll both be dead in the ground while people are are still pumping stinky liquids into tanks. I remember when everyone thought we would have flying cars by the year 2000. This really isn't any different. Where's my robot that can clean my toilet? Technophiles really throw their common sense to the wayside in some sort of weird religious belief that inventions will somehow become their mommas.
    These trucks are junk to anyone who needs a truck. They'll be fine for picking up kids or groceries and an occasional trip to Lowe's. Tomorrow I'll drive almost 450 miles and pick up two pinball machines at a mountain hideaway. I'm thankful my V-10 Excursion will be able to do it on one tank.

It sounds like electric isn't a good fit for you and that's fine. They aren't for everyone. It is really about matching their use and finding a good fit. Electric has been getting a ton better. Remember when cordless tools sucked? Newer ones like the Dewalt 20V lithium are awesome and I never need to pull out the corded tools and don't even have to recharge them that often. They just work.

In regard to lawns a lawn service cutting lawns all day is a totally different use case from a home owner cutting their own lawn once a week. I still use a gas mower at home but my parents place has a smaller lawn and have been using a rechargeable electric mower over there for the last 4 year. It beats the the gas mower for that application no question. It is quiet, cuts great, charge on the older batteries still lasts cutting both front and back, and I no longer need to make trips to the gas station. It is very convenient. At some point may consider an electric for my own yard as the battery technology gets even better. Opens up cutting the lawn early or late without pissing off the neighbors. There are advantages. It is all about matching them to your particular application.

As far as the truck thing goes it seems absurd to say that if you don't tow every day or need to haul things every other day, etc that no one needs a truck. Much of the time I could get by with a car just fine. But there are enough times where I have to move things that having one truck in the family makes more sense than renting one (in addition to having the regular car to drive) or hassling/chasing down a friend with one. Depending on the usage the current range on the electrics are perfectly fine for some people. Gotta start somewhere. While the way you drive may not work well (or at all for you) that doesn't apply to everyone.

6 months later
    #372 2 years ago

I hope it doesn’t take months yet. I’ve been extending my current lease until I can get a lightning but if it is going to go on too long that may not be an option.

1 week later
    #384 2 years ago
    Quoted from jeffro01:

Just based on what Ford was reporting reservation count wise when I placed mine. My actual reservation number doesn't seem to align with any real sequential number so I guess you could say I'm taking an educated guess.
    Thanks,
    Jeff

I hope we can all get them soon! Really looking forward to it. Most of my driving is local so it should work well for me.

8 months later
    #406 1 year ago
    Quoted from SadSack:

80 miles range towing:
    I guess you'll need your wife's car for hauling pinball machines much more than 100 miles.

Towing may be an issue but many people rarely tow. For how often or far I’ve towed the range would be ok for me. Most games I’ve moved at once just fit in the bed of the truck so no need for a trailer.

The towing capacity is probably a show stopper for those that tow a lot. Just get a regular gas version. No or rarely tow with mostly short trips then an EV may be right for you.

Ask long as you match the vehicle to the use case it’s all good.

#426 1 year ago
    Quoted from ercvacation:

I'd think it would be a major issue for those that tow at all. I bought a tundra cause I tow my boat sometimes. If I can't do that for more than 200 miles, I'm definitley out. The time is not now for electric vehicles.

Doesn't sound like it would work for you. If I got another boat I would probably have to tow under 15 miles. For as often as I tow and for the distance it wouldn't be an issue. Only time that it would have been was when my daughters car broke down on the other side of the state. If I had an Electric I would have made other arrangements since that trip would have been an problem for an EV. That was the only time. The rest is pretty much all local for me so the range would be ok.

It is all about matching them up with the driving patterns. They can work out well for people. But, not for everyone and the states that mandate they all need to be EV across the board is crazy.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robotworkshop.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-150-lightning-whos-in?tu=robotworkshop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.