Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 451 posts
  • 76 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by jeffro01
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“F-150 LIGHTNING... who’s in?”

• Yes 21 votes
      17%
    • No 75 votes
      60%
    • Eventually, but not first generation. 29 votes
      23%

(125 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ford (resized).png
    got a date (resized).png
    windpower (resized).jpg
    AlJLPhq (resized).jpg
    68d3ae4a-6864-44bb-9718-98704a9b0861-2021FordF150_062420_ES19.JPG
    L (resized).png
    870E9BDF-4D6B-446A-94E1-18FC7D7C66B0 (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 10.10.47 PM (resized).jpg
    51kRuAVth6L._AC_SL1443_ (resized).jpg
    Thk5pJ1i2xEYBsOEMnlkzd153WRwC8HeQ1BDGn1gHko (resized).jpeg
    jeep (resized).jpg
    unssdfgnamed (resized).jpg
    Ford-Mustang-Mach-E- (resized).jpg
    2022-ford-maverick-rendering-1610128093 (resized).jpg
    Untitlexasdd-1 (resized).jpg
    8250c6c3801c9fa9bfac8f01ac46264b (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jeffro01.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#89 2 years ago

As a current Tesla owner who's completely fed up with how corrupt and incompetent that company is, I put in a reservation for the F-150 Lighting. I rarely tow, I just need a truck to haul basic things and pins on occasion. Also going to get a Jeep Gladiator later this year to tow behind the motor home.

Jeff

#115 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Statistics dont lie but liars love statistics.
    Power does not go out for 49 minutes in storm areas.
    Days and weeks are normal.

Where do you live where "days and weeks" are normal to lose power? Come on... Also, if the power is out, you can't pump gas either so what exactly is your point?

Jeff

#120 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

What makes you think I dont have supplies on hand?

Again, where do you live where you lose power for days/weeks on end? Answer, nowhere.

No one is forcing you to buy an EV right now, and guess what? No one is forcing you to comment on this thread either...

Jeff

#134 2 years ago
    Quoted from loneacer:

It's not that uncommon in places that get ice storms. It's happened to multiple family members of mine in SW MO. Depends on your neighborhood and how many above ground power lines there are. Most I lost it for was 2 days, but there have been storms that kept kids out of school for 2 weeks at a time before the roads were in good enough shape to drive buses.

Those are generational storms, I'm from that part of the country and in my 20+ years growing up there I can't remember a single time the power was out for more than 48 hours. Are there occasional "mega" ice storms and such? Sure, but again, you're not pumping gas either...

Jeff

#160 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinash:

Maybe I am in the minority, but I fall into the "I use a pickup for the bed" not the "towing or bust" group. My Monday through Friday mileage is less than 25mi daily. Based on the above, I am very excited for a cybertruck competitor!

Same here, that's why I put my reservation in.

Jeff

#161 2 years ago
    Quoted from SadSack:

100% serious. The battery production/disposal and inefficiency of the grid waste MUCH more energy and are MUCH more destructive to the environment than burning hydrocarbons at the point of use. Things aren't always as marketers would trick you into believing.
    Consider the extra energy burnt carrying around a 1060lb battery vs. an average of 100lbs in fuel. Do you think that energy wasted comes at no cost?

Could you be any more ignorant? 100% serious. You're completely and totally misinformed as if you work for Exon Mobile or something. Like it or not, the internal combustion engine is on its way out and while the transition isn't happening overnight, it's happening. BEVs are the future, they are the now, and eventually you'll have no other choice but to buy one.

Jeff

#171 2 years ago
    Quoted from SadSack:

I simply reject the nonsense in my life and give it no attention. When the entertainment value of a thread like this wears off, I'll ignore it, too. But in truth, I usually just piss people off by slaughtering their sacred cows with common sense. It really makes people mad. You can tell by their emotional responses.
    It's much easier to fool a person than convince them they've been fooled.

I love it when people use the phrase "common sense" but clearly have none of it... Why is it that so many people today live by a goal of whatever makes someone else mad? Being a complete asshole is no way to go through life. Your last sentence is so horribly ironic...

Jeff

#174 2 years ago
    Quoted from SadSack:

I didn't realize that having an opinion that doesn't follow the crowd made me a "complete asshole" going through life. Thanks for clarifying that. I'll be sure to take your side of the discussion in all matters going forward. I guess lemmings don't only belong on Mars: http://pinballmd.com/why-we-cant-believe-nasa-rodent-on-mars-hoax-or-conspiracy-theory/

You really need to work on your reading comprehension... Wow...

Jeff

#180 2 years ago
    Quoted from SadSack:

All of this should tell you that "green" energy is a total scam. It's all about the Solyndra Benjamins... and convincing the free range slaves to pay the bill.

Could you be any more absolutely ignorant? Why are you here and why haven't you been ejected from this thread yet? [Removed]
    Jeff

#238 2 years ago

Problem with the Cybertruck is it's essentially vaporware at this point and given Tesla's long history of being years behind their production targets, who knows when you'll actually be able to buy one... Ford, deliveries start spring 2021...

Jeff

4 months later
    #302 2 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

lol. The range is 230mi or 300mi with the extended range battery. Do you live in the middle of Australia?
    My daily commute is about 40 miles so I'll be able to go days without charging. Even if I tow a trailer to the campground on a weekend and take a big range hit, I could still charge up to full with the standard 50A outlet at the camp site

Couple of things from someone who owned (past tense) Teslas for years... 1. You won't be able to go days without charging, 40 miles on pavement is not 40 miles on the battery and in fact it's not usually even that close. Then you take into account vampire drain (when the truck is just sitting there, it's still using electricity) and you'll find out pretty fast what you can and cannot do. 2. As someone who's had Tesla's at campgrounds (I have a big diesel RV, yeah I know), it's extremely hit or miss as to where you can and cannot charge. When we first started taking our Tesla (when we lived in CA and the lake wasn't that far) we had planned to just do what you're thinking, charge it at the campground... Boy did that not work as expected and I HIGHLY encourage you to ask BEFORE you plug it in, it's not worth the hassle of being "caught".

Not trying to dissuade you from from buying an EV, I'm on the list for the F-150 lightening (and just recently sold my last Tesla) but be prepared for a bit of a wake-up call... You'll adjust fine, we did, but in the beginning it was a bit of a challenge.

Jeff

#305 2 years ago

If it can't go multiple days driving 40 mi/day without needing a charge I am sure there's going to be a hell of a class action lawsuit I have no worries whatsoever as I would likely charge it regularly via a level 2 charger in my garage, but the option to go days without charging for my usage is real and true.

Okay but you're in WI so expect that range to be cut by 40% in the winter, the cold is brutal on the batteries but hey, you seem to have it all figured out so... Good luck...

Jeff

#316 2 years ago
    Quoted from insight75:

Its not 40 percent. Wear a jacket and keep the heat off. It helps. lol.

It ABSOLUTELY can be... Look, I'm not going to sit here and go back and forth but keep in mind you're recommendation here is to wear a jacket and keep the heat off which is also absolutely correct. However, the average buyer coming from ICE is going to have one rude awakening adjusting to these differences. I've seen as high as 44% battery capacity loss in the cold, it's real, it happens... You should do some light reading on TMC, it's a common winter complaint from new owners.

Jeff

#317 2 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

It's funny that the top 3 countries with the highest percentage of electric cars sold this year, are all in the Arctic Circle
    How did they figure it out?
    LOL
    [quoted image]

Ugh... I'm completely aware of that, are you also aware of the processes owners go through in those climates during the winter? Doubtful...

Jeff

#322 2 years ago
    Quoted from insight75:

Hey I own 2 and the first was bought in 2016. I've been through a few winters with them. I'm certainly joking about the jacket. You are correct that people need to be aware of cold weather and the reduced efficiency. The newer ones have a heat pump which is supposed to help but there is still work to be done on this.

Yeah none of mine had that new fancy function which is funny since the original Model S design had one before Tesla decided it was too expensive at the time. Such is life.

To be clear to anyone reading this, EVs are great, they really are. Once you own one it's very difficult to go back to an ICE and any actual drawbacks in the cold can be handled either by preconditioning (charging before you leave for work in the AM to get the car/batteries warm), or by not using the cabin heater and relying on heated seats and/or steering wheel if you have one (the reason why we didn't get a Model 3 and stuck with the S and X). I can't say we were ever "cold" in the car but there were a few times where we needed that range and so chilly had to be acceptable. Either way, I can't wait to get my F150 Lightening...!!!

Jeff

#324 2 years ago

The latest info is that orders will open on Oct. 26th. I'm in for a Pro (looks like they followed Stern's lead on calling the base-level a Pro ) and am definitely getting the Max trailer tow package. This seems like a no brainer even for those that wouldn't tow, since it adds "enhanced battery and motor cooling" for only $865.
    The only option I'm hung up on is the Towing Technology package. It's a bit pricier at almost $2k but you get the following: 360-degree camera; Pro Trailer Backup Assist, Integrated trailer brake controller; Pro Trailer Hitch Assist; Smart Hitch; Onboard scales; Smart Trailer Tow Connection; Trailer Reverse Guidance; Trailer Camera
    I'm really only interested in the 360 camera and onboard scales..... tough call for me.

All in man... I believe that's the Platinum Edition? If there's a bell and whistle checkbox I can check, I'm doing it... LOL

Jeff

#330 2 years ago
    Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

Naa...I’ll stick to mine..........Joey[quoted image]

What's the purpose of this? Awesome, you don't want an F-150 Lightening... THEN WHY ARE YOU HERE??? I can't say what I want to say otherwise I'll risk the consequences but what the actual fuck...???

Jeff

#344 2 years ago

Looks like 300 kWh based on the fine print here:
    [quoted image]

I'm so excited about this feature, it's something Tesla always refused to do (and still does because of Powerwalls).

Jeff

#346 2 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

It's probably going to cost $60k - $70k for the version of the Lighting that can power your home for 3 days. If having the ability to power your home during a power outage is critical it's probably a better "deal" to buy the $40k Pro or $50k XLT and purchase a proper home home generator for $8k - $10k instead IMO. Even if you are in an area without natural gas you can run a whole home generator off propane.
    Another option is to buy a transfer switch and gas generator for probably $1k - $2k that can power your most critical appliances along with some lights / outlets. I recently went through a 3 day power outage and a $300 transfer switch along with a $500 generator helped power my networking equipment, 3 fridges / freezers, TV, some lights and a few outlets.

Our power rarely goes out here so for me, I'd rather pony up the extra (since I'm going to do it anyhow) and buy the top end trim package and then put the transfer switch in as a separate cost. Yes I agree this route costs "more" but since I was already going to buy the Platinum Edition it's not much of a difference. Now if I was stretching to buy the Platinum Edition just for this purpose then absolutely you're 100% correct. Buy a generator and a transfer switch and save a lot of money... LOL

Jeff

#348 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Don't mean to steer the thread away from the original topic, but one thing to consider w/the generator vs. truck discussion is you have to be home to utilize using the truck to supply power to the house. We have a well behaved basement w/respect to the sump pit - but if we were out of town and the power went out, just wanted peace of mind w/a whole house generator.
    Just food for thought.

Yeah totally hear you there but we don't leave the house much, it's more of a convenance for the rare times we do lose power than anything else. But... Absolutely if your goal here is to provide reliable backup power to your house then being able to take your battery with you isn't much help...

Jeff

2 months later
    #371 2 years ago
    Quoted from starfighter:Looks like I'm out of luck on my order. Just got this from Ford.
    "Orders start at the beginning of the new year, and because of unprecedented interest, we’ll be sending invitations to order at staggered times.
    Now, this kind of demand means many of you won’t get a 2022 F‑150 Lightning™ truck, but rest assured we will hold your reservation so you’ll have A CHANCE TO ORDER A FUTURE MODEL YEAR.
    We’ll stay in touch with you throughout this process and let you know when we’re sold out of the 2022 model. We’d hate for you to cancel your reservation, but if you do, you’ll get a full refund from your dealer.
    The excitement and demand for this history‑making vehicle is incredible, so we appreciate your patience. And we’re committed to keeping you up to date right up until your F‑150 Lightning is plugged in and ready to take this revolutionary leap forward."

Yeah same here. I'm in the low 50K's so I'm going to take a wait and see approach... If Ford really can't deliver my vehicle next year (and I mean reasonably next year not 12/31) then I'm out and will go get a 2022 Sierra Denali Ultimate, yeah it's gas but it's one hell of a nice truck for essentially the same price. Based on what I'm seeing it's likely impossible I'll see my F-150 Lightening until 2023 which means I'm out but going to hold onto that shred of hope...

Jeff

#374 2 years ago
    Quoted from Robotworkshop:

I hope it doesn’t take months yet. I’ve been extending my current lease until I can get a lightning but if it is going to go on too long that may not be an option.

Ford said they can only make about 70K Lightening per year max right now due to production constraints. They've cancelled their other BEV offerings outside of Mach-E and Lightening for now because they just can't meet the existing demand for those two models much less additional demand for any other. They claim to be aggressively working on increasing BEV production to 600K units per year over the next two years but I think we all understand the massive undertaking that's going to require and it certainly won't happen overnight. So doing some napkin math at 70K per year that means roughly they'll produce 35-45K Lightening in 2022 since they don't seem to be really ramping up production until late spring/early summer. Since I'm in the 50K range I think my post has made it clear even to myself that I'm not getting one next year and so I'm almost certainly out.

Jeff

1 week later
    #383 2 years ago
    Quoted from BoZack:

Just saw this thread pop up in the new topics, curious how you know what number you have in line if you are in the low 50k's? I thought I got in pretty early but didn't know if there was a way to see what place I am in line?

Just based on what Ford was reporting reservation count wise when I placed mine. My actual reservation number doesn't seem to align with any real sequential number so I guess you could say I'm taking an educated guess.

Thanks,
    Jeff

1 month later
    #386 2 years ago
    Quoted from sd_tom:

[quoted image]

Congrats!!!!

No idea when I'll get my call...

Jeff

#391 2 years ago

Got my email from Ford that I will not be getting a lightening this year... Bummer... But I was expecting it.

Jeff

1 month later
    #396 2 years ago
    Quoted from BoZack:

Dealers actually have a little control in this, it is NOT first signed up get the first spots this year. The first few get them but the dealer then can also select a few from their list.
    We will see as I get closer to my order date. The dealers should get their "show" trucks in the next 4-6 weeks, folks will still get notified along the way this year to order. I have a great relationship with my dealer and have spoken to them many times the past year and they have kept me updated.

Which is yet another great example as to why stealerships need to go and people should be able to order from Ford.com whenever they want. Case in point, my local stealership called me back in Jan or Feb to talk to me about my reservation and when I made it clear I wasn't in the market for another new car right now beyond the F-150 Lightening, suddenly I was looking at next year for delivery. It was abundantly clear what was going on and this wasn't one of those things where the lower margins are being pushed to the back of the line, I'm in for a full Platinum pick every option I can order.

Jeff

3 months later
    #399 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Ford raises the price of the F150 Lightning $6,000 - $8,500 due to "significant material cost increases and other factors”. This will impact existing preorders according to the article.
    https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/08/09/ford-increasing-price-of-electric-f-150-lightning-.html

Of course... Although it's a bit of a scam as commodity prices are already falling and so Ford will make extra profit here as I highly doubt they'll reduce their prices...

Jeff

1 month later
    #411 1 year ago
    Quoted from SadSack:

80 miles range towing:
    I guess you'll need your wife's car for hauling pinball machines much more than 100 miles.

All I'm going to say here is one ounce of research would have told whoever made that video what was going to happen... Anything that adds weight or drag reduces range, add cold weather on top of that and it's a double punch. Doesn't mean I'm not getting one but I understand the limitations going in. If you tow regularly, EV trucks currently are not for you... Furthermore, until anyone other than Tesla builds a reliable national high voltage charging network you're just wasting your time anyhow. I LOVE EVs but they do not fit every use case yet, they just don't. Yet.

Jeff

#412 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Those weekend fun folks that pull ski boats and ATVs may need to take a pass on this. Is a gearbox the solution because the problem isn't a lack of power? Hoovie said the F-150 pulled the trailer effortlessly, but rang drooped 3 miles for every one driven.

Depends on how far you're going and all of that but yeah, it's a cautionary tale. No, the issue is the amount of electrons needed and a gearbox isn't going to solve that problem not to mention the torque you'd have to build it to withstand. The cost alone wouldn't be worth it.

Jeff

#430 1 year ago
    Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Ford's charging Network is huge, possibly larger than Tesla's.

I gotta push back on that one... EV chargers come in all sizes so far as maximum current goes. Sure Ford may have "access" to "more" but Tesla is the only one that's a consistent experience (mostly) no matter where you go. They also have far fewer issues with down stations than other vendors. I'm not here to do a Tesla commercial but IMHO, if you plan on regularly traveling further than the round trip capacity of your EV Tesla is the ONLY option right now. Right now is the key phrase in that sentence but still... What good does it do you in a Ford if there are 20 chargers around you but they are all Level 2...??? You'll be sitting for hours...

Jeff

2 months later
    #442 1 year ago

I cancelled my reservation... Too expensive. As to the cold weather stuff, yep, welcome to EVs... It's real, it affects all of them and no Tesla is not magically immune to this either.

#444 1 year ago
    Quoted from danisme:

Ready or not our overlords here in Calif are requiring it. 10% to those in charge

Honestly CA is the perfect place for this. The weather is almost perfect everywhere almost all of the time and the reduction in smog will be a welcome thing for everyone. Loved my EVs before, would buy them again, even in the cold. Most popular Tesla market is Norway... Clearly EVs work in the cold... LOL

#446 1 year ago
    Quoted from danisme:

I'm fine with EV, but there's so much not okay with our state. So much. I've gotta move unfortunately cuz of it.

As a former resident who did leave, no arguments here...

3 months later
    #451 1 year ago
    Quoted from SadSack:

Budget 4000 a year for your 8-year battery replacement. If you aren't barbecued in the truck or burnt up in your house before you need a new one, you'll have to reduce your sales price by at least the price of the battery pack. I guess that means people will have to pay to safely dispose of them These things are garbage.. period. For EVERY application there is a MUCH preferred alternative.
    $32,086 every 8 years... Oh and when the grid goes down and you need to evacuate an area... good luck with that. Can anyone pipe in and tell me how satisfied they are with it after a year or two? I want to like them, but every time I look, they are bigger P'sOS than the last time I looked.
    THat sneaky little south-african tricked everyone into thinking disposable vehicles are normal. I'll stick with my 2000 Excursion V-10 with a 450 range on one tank.

It's hard to shove so much ignorance into a relatively short post but congrats, you managed to do it. Allow me to retort...

Do you budget for an engine replacement every year? No. No one needs to do so for EV batteries either.

ICE don't catch on fire? That's a new one to me...

Last time I checked gas pumps also needed electricity to... You guessed it... Pump gas... So... Not sure what your point with this one is. Oh, and if you happen to have solar/battery storage at home, then you win the game. Easily.

LOVED my EVs when I owned them, so again, not sure what you're talking about here... Clearly you've never, ever, driven one. Only reason why I don't own one now is because I needed a 4X4 Jeep where I live in the mountains so it was a use case situation, nothing more.

EVs have the most advanced tech of any cars on the road, bigger POS's? LOL... I'd say your 2000 Excursion is about as much of a POS as anything on the road today.

40% of Americans buy a new car every year, this is not a new trend... So again, I don't know what the hell you're talking about here with this "disposable vehicles" crap...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jeffro01.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-150-lightning-whos-in?tu=jeffro01 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.