Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 451 posts
  • 76 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by jeffro01
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“F-150 LIGHTNING... who’s in?”

• Yes 21 votes
      17%
    • No 75 votes
      60%
    • Eventually, but not first generation. 29 votes
      23%

(125 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ford (resized).png
    got a date (resized).png
    windpower (resized).jpg
    AlJLPhq (resized).jpg
    68d3ae4a-6864-44bb-9718-98704a9b0861-2021FordF150_062420_ES19.JPG
    L (resized).png
    870E9BDF-4D6B-446A-94E1-18FC7D7C66B0 (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 10.10.47 PM (resized).jpg
    51kRuAVth6L._AC_SL1443_ (resized).jpg
    Thk5pJ1i2xEYBsOEMnlkzd153WRwC8HeQ1BDGn1gHko (resized).jpeg
    jeep (resized).jpg
    unssdfgnamed (resized).jpg
    Ford-Mustang-Mach-E- (resized).jpg
    2022-ford-maverick-rendering-1610128093 (resized).jpg
    Untitlexasdd-1 (resized).jpg
    8250c6c3801c9fa9bfac8f01ac46264b (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goodomens.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#99 2 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

Won’t matter which gen. Until battery tech and charging times come close to gassing up no huge sales will happen. I drive 660 miles a week for work. No fucking way I’m getting stuck waiting 3-6 hours for a charge if I’m lucky to be at a station.
    Manufacturers can push tech and infrastructure as much as they want. Until mileage and charge time are fixed, rest is bs.

The convenience is you charge at home overnight while you sleep. Commercial fast charges should get you a few hundred miles of range in <45 minutes.

#191 2 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I don't think I am part of the hive, but who knows.... Anyways, as battery technology increases, so does it's use in professional fields. My FIL has been a home builder for the better part of 40 years. I have noticed his arsenal changing as technology changes. Back in the day, I would help him frame and do finish work over the summers while I was still in college (late 90s). Everything was running off a generator back then.
    While his framing nailers are still air (He does have a couple of battery powered ones), almost all of his finish tools are battery. It isn't unusual to see 4-5 batteries charging in his trailer at one time.
    I think as the battery technology gets better, it will become more of a norm, pretty much everywhere.
    I think of a gasoline-free world much like a paper-less office. It sounds really good in theory, but there are just certain things that will always be the same.

Running their air compressors off the excess battery from their trucks will be the new norm for builders. There is a reason home builders switch from generators to the wall outlet once power is hooked up to one of the houses they are building. It's cheaper to run off the grid then via a gas generator. Same case here.

#195 2 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

My FIL'S newest work truck has like 5 electrical outlets to plug directly into. Granted that truck is still diesel, but the fact that he could in theory run off the truck instead of the generator is something he has already done many times for smaller jobs.

Yea if the 120~150 kWh battery pack estimates are accurate, running a 15 amp air compressor all day (assuming it's actually only running the motor for about 3~4 hours), will only take like 5% of these batter packs. Meaning you could easily have 3-5 compressors or whatever running off one truck with little impact to your daily range.

Cool stuff for sure. I could see some of the larger contractors interested in these.

#197 2 years ago
    Quoted from PrinceOfPinside:

Performance metrics ≠ Fun factor. A good example would be a first gen Miata. Although It would get blown out of the water performance-wise by a modern day minivan, I guarantee most (all?) enthusiasts would still prefer to own the Miata.
    Certainly not opposed to trying one. Will be a while before that happens though. The newest vehicle I've owned was 8.5 years old when I purchased it.

All your torque at zero RPM is an experience for sure that only electric offers. It's the reason why freight trains are diesel electric. The only major expense will be chewing through tires if you are heavy on the pedal at lights.

#203 2 years ago
    Quoted from PrinceOfPinside:

In the short term maybe. How much will a set of replacement batteries cost 10-15 years from now? What about disposal costs? Will the other electrical systems prove to be reliable amongst that time frame also? All of these questions should have a clear answer in order to obtain buy-in from those who intend to keep their vehicles long-term.

I think a lot of that has been proven with other electric cars. It's still a gamble but battery tech and recycling ability is only improving so costs are continuing to decline. There are shops replacing older gen LEAFS with newer batteries and better range for ~$1000. There are Tesla's with 200k+ miles with negligible degradation in range (Mine at 33k miles actually has ~4% more range then when I bought it due to firmware efficiencies they have pushed).

#213 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hammer3246:

Wouldn't a solar panel make more sense?

A panel that size would have negligible effect on range. Like maybe a 2-3 miles of range if parked in the sun all day at work.

#215 2 years ago
    Quoted from thirdedition:

I wondered how large the front storage area would be, that looks great. I'm getting really close to putting my name down on one of these. I just need to know/ see how much it will cost to install a charging station at the house. I have 220 run to the garage so hopefully that helps.

If your panel is in the garage and there is room, probably only $4-500 (always get multiple quotes). If you need panel upgrades etc its more but there is a 30% tax credit to offset the installation of EV chargers up to $1000, inclusive of other costs (panel upgrades etc). The credit expires in December but I bet they will extend it. Curious if they will itemize the included charger so you can claim that as well on taxes.

It cost me about $1200 to trench a 60 amp line about 60 feet from the panel to our caport, which I thought was a decent deal.

#229 2 years ago
    Quoted from thirdedition:

I believe the panel is in the basement, but my house isn't exactly huge so I'm not sure how much that would change things.
    Thanks for the info, I may have to get some quotes to see what it is going to end up costing me.

Got it. Yea if that 240v line is unused (what amp?) - you should be good to go, I just assumed it was. Maybe just $100 or two to have them connect the charger if voltage that can kill makes you squirmy.

I’m assuming the 80amp charger they include can be set lower for folks who don’t have that hookup.

#241 2 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

I still think the Cybertruck is the ugliest vehicle I have ever seen. Dread the day I have to see them on the road. The Lightning at least looks like a real truck. I know Tesla has a following but hard to believe they will take out the top selling truck in one swing. Plenty have tried and failed. Ford has tons of options and the dealer network to not only sell trucks but also service. Where do you even take a Tesla if you need service?

Tesla has service centers across the country or will actually come to your house or place of work to do certain maintenance. Kinda nice really.

#245 2 years ago
    Quoted from Fytr:

Spring 2022.
    Tesla's most recent launch was actually earlier than expected (Model Y). But yeah, there are a LOT of shiny new design elements in the CyberTruck, new battery cells, exoskeleton, made in a new factory, etc. I don't think I'd want to be one of the early adopters unless I lived very close to a Tesla service center. Going to be some bumps along the way I think.
    But I would bet real $ that Tesla will produce more Cybertrucks by the end of 2022 than Ford does F-150s.

Y's produced in Austin will use the new battery's that integrate with the structure so yea Cybertrucks are on the path to being produced.

This F150 though is a solid offering, and other then the lower range, will be good competition to drive progress.

1 year later
    #415 1 year ago

I do wonder if the price increases and rising interest rates are going to kill demand for most of this. 80k starting price with the extended battery is steep. Specially considering that Pro/XLT models are impossible to get.

#431 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

You just described marketing for every car, ever

No, not really. You can order base models of any car and get one. You might wait but its an option. The PRO and XLT are impossible to order, even if you get an invite. Maybe that will change when they open their plant in TN.

#435 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Er, how is ordering a base model and waiting indefinitely any different ?

Because you can't actually order them. The way their system works is you get put on a waitlist to order. When your time comes you can only order what's available and the XLTs and Pros are not options you can select or put money down to actually order. So you'd have to defer until the next wave of orders go out and hope it's an option or be tricked into placing an order for a Lariant and waiting for it to be manufactured.

I'm also not aware of any manufacturer making base models that they don't produce, if that was your point?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goodomens.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-150-lightning-whos-in?tu=goodomens and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.