Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 451 posts
  • 76 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by jeffro01
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“F-150 LIGHTNING... who’s in?”

• Yes 21 votes
      17%
    • No 75 votes
      60%
    • Eventually, but not first generation. 29 votes
      23%

(125 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ford (resized).png
    got a date (resized).png
    windpower (resized).jpg
    AlJLPhq (resized).jpg
    68d3ae4a-6864-44bb-9718-98704a9b0861-2021FordF150_062420_ES19.JPG
    L (resized).png
    870E9BDF-4D6B-446A-94E1-18FC7D7C66B0 (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 10.10.47 PM (resized).jpg
    51kRuAVth6L._AC_SL1443_ (resized).jpg
    Thk5pJ1i2xEYBsOEMnlkzd153WRwC8HeQ1BDGn1gHko (resized).jpeg
    jeep (resized).jpg
    unssdfgnamed (resized).jpg
    Ford-Mustang-Mach-E- (resized).jpg
    2022-ford-maverick-rendering-1610128093 (resized).jpg
    Untitlexasdd-1 (resized).jpg
    8250c6c3801c9fa9bfac8f01ac46264b (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from c508:

Anyone plan on getting one? Or already have it on order?
    I will probably wait for the second generation (and to see when they announce 250 and 350 lines), but am def. going to do a test drive when they hit the show rooms.
    Not sure what the range will be with a truck camper in the bed, but I love the idea of having marine grade solar panels on the truck camper roof and going boon-docking for a week or two while the truck recharges.
    https://www.adventure-journal.com/2021/05/the-ford-150-lightning-ev-is-a-surprising-bargain-could-change-everything/

Reports are the range is atrocious when towing or any substantial load. Under 100 miles was reported.

#41 2 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Also, no one seems to be talking about the fact that the Ford Lightning can keep your house powered for 3 days.
    Great for people in Texas, instead of freezing to death in the next power grid failure

I have generator and off grid solar thanks.

We lose power all the time here.

#50 2 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Over 100 people froze to death in Texas a few weeks ago because the grid went down.
    They could have used a Lightning

They could have used a $500 generator.

#54 2 years ago
    Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

This is a super dumbass comment, show us some KW facts on the lightning output. Houses needed the furnace running, there is no way a lighting can hookup to the house to provide heat in that Kw magnitude for long let alone lights and so forth.

Well I find myself defending the electrical vehicle guy.

ASSUMING it is not electric heat, a modest generator can run a oil or gas furnace without breaking a sweat.

That assumes you have gas to burn of course.

#55 2 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

If they planned ahead and bought one.
    The whole state seemed very unprepared. It looked like an icy Y2K on the news.

I prudent home owner would have one, almost standard issue here in New England.

A far more practical purchase than a 100k truck.

#58 2 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I hear ya.
    A lot of homeowner associations forbid their use. Would be a fun battle in court [quoted image]

You can buy a Honda that literally you cannot tell is even running.

We get it, you like EV.

The argument your making about hooking a house to a truck is beyond weak falling into the absurd. The average homeowner is confounded by a breaker panel let alone hooking an electric vehicle to the mains.

Edit: since you brought the Texas situation up I'd like to point out that it was a once in a century event which vastly bemused a number of people in New England who viewed it as "a typical nor'Easter " or business as usual around here.

EV have DRASTICALLY reduced battery life in cold weather, I doubt you would get the days of battery life claimed just as the miles per charge are also inflated to best case scenario.

#65 2 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You seem oddly hung up on this feature.

ahem, you are the one flogging that feature.

I do know a lot about building loads, generator sizing and generator maintenance.

Quoted from vid1900:

If someone is not handy, and is already having a fast charger port installed in their garage by an electrician, it would make sense that they would have a power transfer switch installed at the same time.

One is totally not in the same ballpark as the other (transfer switch vs charging outlet), not to mention having a licensed electrician do the work, having the town issue a permit and then having the town building inspector approve it before use.

Yes permit and approval process is normal around here and God help you if you do it yourself and something goes sideways the insurance company will hang you out to dry.

The town will issue a cease and desist order so fast your head would spin. I'll take a picture of the neighbor across the street who was having someone rebuild their porch, half way through the project the town showed up, stapled the order to the porch and it is still sitting there half finished a year later.

#74 2 years ago
    Quoted from titanpenguin:Under ideal situations in a controlled environment, you too can have the luxury of avoiding a complete power outage for up to 10 days provided everything you use runs off electricity.

Yes, complete marketing BS to try and pedal a product the majority of people have little interest in.

No one seems to have brought up the fact what happens when the truck battery is exhausted after running your home and the power is not back on?

Now you have a dead home and truck and you are stuck.

#75 2 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

It sounds like you should pay the $450 and have an electrician do your install.

Try at least twice that minimum plus the cost of the permit.

#78 2 years ago
    Quoted from Robotworkshop:

It all depends on the how you use it and if it is your only vehicle. The current constraints are fine for some. We have other vehicles in our household so that isn’t a concern. You don’t have to use the truck to power anything if you don’t want to but it is a nice option to have if it is already wired for it. For the most part outages have been hours to a couple days around here due to trees down. This could cover those.

Hurricane and n'oreaster zones power outages are common for a few days to as long as 2-3 weeks.

Sandy wiped out service to my area for two weeks.

#79 2 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

But I've got to admit that I have a morbid curiosity to see the house where the guy's 14 year old daughter probably got knocked up, and had to keep the baby.[quoted image]

I find the way you causally malign people whose only crime is not knowing to pull a permit despicable.

It tells me a great deal about you.

20210524_065358 (resized).jpg20210524_065358 (resized).jpg
    #82 2 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Lol
    You can't let it go.

You sir are the one flogging the dead horse

#85 2 years ago
    Quoted from slicknick13:

I like how the counterarguments here are "Well, if it can't drive 1000 miles on a single charge and power my house through a maybe once in a lifetime power outage, it's a piece of shit!"
    Look, 99% of the people that drive trucks use it to haul some plywood or trash or furniture around town. Most of us have an occasional brownout or a couple hours of power outage here and there. A whole house UPS would be great. I wish my Tesla did it, they've been pussyfooting around for years with car to home.
    You want to haul a boat, get a Diesel F-350, they're still there, but don't shit on an electric truck cause it can't.
    Cripes, it's a wonder that the small Rangers and S-10's even existed with the way some of you talk.

You offer a win or lose argument, which isn't the case.

I think most of the discussion is how Ford is advertising as being a replacement for a gas vehicle and its 10,000 tow capacity which is largely theoretical unless you want to tow under 100 miles and then have to charge again.

The truck fills a niche market which Ford advertising is trying to convince you otherwise.

Stay in the niche and you will be fine with it just like if you purchase a Ranger, S-10 or Dakota.

You know what you are getting into when you purchase one.

Ironically vehicle makers have little interest in making small trucks, the profits are smaller and costs to make them almost is large as a full size. My Dakota and Durango were fine vehicles which did the job well which is why I chose them, just enough truck to get the job done.

And then Chrysler killed them off for hulking monstrosities which were more profitable..

#92 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Internal combustion is dying and Ford wants a head start.

Rubbish.

Until energy density of batteries improve dramatically internal combustion engines are not going anywhere.

Regardless of what EV owners think.

EV fit a niche and are not a fit for all owners.

Hybrid is really the way to go for a variety of reasons but it is not the favored tech of various greenie groups.

#97 2 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Exactly.
    China has 5 million EV on the road right now,

With a population of 1.4 billion, 5 million is a rounding error.

#109 2 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Yes, negative Nancy

No I'm a realist while you are promoting electric vehicles to people who need generators when the power goes out.

You know for powering their homes and charging electric vehicles.

#113 2 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You REALLY can't let it go.
    Did you sleep at all last night?
    If you live in an area that regularly looses power for days at a time, I assume you already have bought and installed a whole house generator or got in on Tesla's solar panels (now only $1.48/watt, installed, permits included, after incentives)
    The AVERAGE power outage in the USA is 49 minutes.
    So the Lightning's 3 to 10 day supply should be fine for the AVERAGE person, living in an AVERAGE neighborhood.
    https://www.popsci.com/story/environment/why-us-lose-power-storms/

Statistics dont lie but liars love statistics.

Power does not go out for 49 minutes in storm areas.

Days and weeks are normal.

#117 2 years ago
    Quoted from jeffro01:

Where do you live where "days and weeks" are normal to lose power? Come on... Also, if the power is out, you can't pump gas either so what exactly is your point?
    Jeff

What makes you think I dont have supplies on hand?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-150-lightning-whos-in?tu=gdonovan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.