Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 284 posts
  • 55 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 days ago by mbwalker
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“F-150 LIGHTNING... who’s in?”

• Yes 15 votes
      16%
    • No 59 votes
      61%
    • Eventually, but not first generation. 22 votes
      23%

(96 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

jeep (resized).jpg
    unssdfgnamed (resized).jpg
    Ford-Mustang-Mach-E- (resized).jpg
    2022-ford-maverick-rendering-1610128093 (resized).jpg
    Untitlexasdd-1 (resized).jpg
    8250c6c3801c9fa9bfac8f01ac46264b (resized).jpg
    850309453452 (resized).jpg
    2021-05-27 12.36.29 (resized).jpg
    2021-05-27 12.27.36 (resized).jpg
    2021-05-27 12.38.16 (resized).jpg
    00100002002021 (resized).jpg
    htz26mu25n171 (resized).jpg
    Untitleddfas-1 (resized).jpg
    5d857ba14347f.image (resized).jpg
    8gi5bju2kh171 (resized).jpg
    09x9uca3kh171 (resized).jpg

There are 284 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.
    #251 23 days ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The feds are looking to raise the EV rebate to $12,500 for USA union made vehicles
    A $28k AWD 4-door truck would be a game changer, and support USA auto workers
    https://electrek.co/2021/05/27/electric-car-us-tax-credit-up-less-tesla-vehicles/amp/

Forcing it to union made vehicles is so stupid. Why not require it be for USA companies that use local labor, local materials and are headquartered here so the money stays here? Instead they will subsidize companies that then funnel the money abroad. Well whatever, I guess it will make foreign auto makers happy to be subsidized by the US tax payer then funnel that money back home to help their local markets.

#252 23 days ago
    Quoted from SadSack:

Your lightning won't do this in 9 hours! And I didn't even have to refill the gas tank!

That's for sure.

6 hours easy and that's if I stop to take a dump.

00100002002021 (resized).jpg
    #253 23 days ago
    Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Forcing it to union made vehicles is so stupid.

That's how politics work.

Ford Ranger was the #1 "most American made vehicle" for 2020

Chevy Camaro #2

Corvette #3

Ford f150 and Tesla3 tied for 9th

=

We'll see what percentage of components are USA sourced on the new Lightning in the Fall....

#254 23 days ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

That's for sure.
    6 hours easy and that's if I stop to take a dump.[quoted image]

You need a topper and 4wd. And I doubt the rubber band would hold up heading east out of Butte, MT.

2021-05-27 12.36.29 (resized).jpg2021-05-27 12.27.36 (resized).jpg2021-05-27 12.38.16 (resized).jpg
    #255 23 days ago
    Quoted from SadSack:

You need a topper

What is a topper?

Do you mean a truck cap? It came with one, but I took it off to transport a sit down SW.

With it's twin fuel tanks, it has well over a 500 mile range.

I remember when it was known as a fast truck, 0-60 in 7 seconds.

The new Lightning totally blows the old Lightning SVT away, but the SVT still makes SUVs look totally gay

850309453452 (resized).jpg
    #256 23 days ago

Of course, the F-150 Nitemare is a scary @ 0-60 in under 4 seconds, but at $80K, the price is a nightmare too
    8250c6c3801c9fa9bfac8f01ac46264b (resized).jpg

#257 23 days ago

Oregon is the cheapest place to buy the Lightning right now, says Fox News:

2022 Ford F-150 Lightning $39,974
    Federal Tax Credit -$7,500
    Maximum State Rebate -$5,000
    Effective Price In Oregon $27,474 (no sales tax)

Yep, no sales tax in Oregon, and a $5K state rebate!

#258 22 days ago

Wow, Maine only gave me a 1K rebate on my plugin Prius (and I spent over $3k in taxes)!

I guess it pays to live in a more progressive state.

#259 22 days ago

I'm not going to lie, I'm really not digging the fact that it has to be the full on super crew cab. I really would want one with the super cab and the longer bed.

Since there is a front trunk maybe the super cab isn't even needed.

#260 22 days ago
    Quoted from SadSack:

You need a topper and 4wd. And I doubt the rubber band would hold up heading east out of Butte, MT.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

You got two pins in there? Nice. I don't see why a ev truck wouldn't be able to do 4wd off road. In fact, I bet it would do extremely well with the instant torque, low center of gravity, and regen brakes.

#261 22 days ago
    Quoted from Pinash:

Wow, Maine only gave me a 1K rebate on my plugin Prius (and I spent over $3k in taxes)!
    I guess it pays to live in a more progressive state.

AND Oregon legalized cocaine, LSD, Molly....you could go ass-crazy with your new Lightning and a make some new friends.

-

Maine has a super sweet program for the Lightning too:

2022 Ford F-150 Lightning $39,974
    Federal Tax Credit -$7,500
    Maximum State Rebate -$5,500
    Effective Price In Maine $26,974

-
    If the feds succeed in raising the credit to -12,500 then Maine's effective price falls to $21,974
    -
    Untitlexasdd-1 (resized).jpg

I don't know why, but I love the mechanical shifter in this thing. Ford really knew what truck guys like, even if it's total fluff

#262 22 days ago
    Quoted from thirdedition:

I'm not going to lie, I'm really not digging the fact that it has to be the full on super crew cab. I really would want one with the super cab and the longer bed.

2 door, 8 foot bed would be my ideal configuration too

#263 22 days ago

This article shows the F-150 Lightning with much higher (potential) range than the current estimate. It will definitely be interesting to see what people end up actually getting in real life usage:

https://insideevs.com/news/510259/ford-f150-lightning-first-impressions/amp/

#264 22 days ago

Interesting, that in person, the truck gets 459 miles on a full charge

I wonder how much extra range they will squeeze out of it as the software upgrades over time?

You can fill the frunk with ice, then drain it by pulling a plug; super cool.

Look at the size of that Frunk; you could put 2 bodies in there.

#265 22 days ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Interesting, that in person, the truck gets 459 miles on a full charge
    I wonder how much extra range they will squeeze out of it as the software upgrades over time?
    You can fill the frunk with ice, then drain it by pulling a plug; super cool.
    Look at the size of that Frunk; you could put 2 bodies in there.

I think it's air conditioned too, to keep things fresh.

#266 18 days ago

Ok I might be in! Put down the $100 refundable deposit so we'll see where this goes. If the $12,500 tax incentive becomes true then this is going to be a great value. Even with the $7,500 it's still pretty good and is the only reason I'm considering it.

#267 15 days ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:Just a personal opinion but the SUV and pickup EV market will be owned by Rivian from what I have seen. I toured the plant last week and these guys really have some amazing stuff to change things up. Just an opinion again.
    https://rivian.com

What do you think of the interior quality? My stepson just moved to CA to work for them leaving FCA. His opinion of the Tesla cars interior were equal to a Kia. and don't get me started on "bulletproof glass"

#268 15 days ago
    Quoted from bob_e:

What do you think of the interior quality? My stepson just moved to CA to work for them leaving FCA. His opinion of the Tesla cars interior were equal to a Kia. and don't get me started on "bulletproof glass"

Congrats to him looks like a great place to work with some incredible technology and team. Sounds like he will do well. Not sure I agree on the Tesla seats as I find them to be the most comfortable seat I have ever had in a car personally. Model Y

#269 15 days ago

Ford announced their new Maverick, four-door Hybrid mini-truck today.

Starts at under $20,000

2022-ford-maverick-rendering-1610128093 (resized).jpg
    #270 15 days ago

Ford also announced that the Electric Mustang outsold the Gasoline Mustang this year.

I guess the Mustang badge gave permission to old people, allowing them to own an electric car.

Ford-Mustang-Mach-E- (resized).jpg
    #271 15 days ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Ford announced their new Maverick, four-door Hybrid mini-truck today.
    Starts at under $20,000[quoted image]

If it is anything like my ranger it will only fit one pin in the back. That being said, it may still be worth it to me. I'm still super on the fence about the Lightning.

#272 15 days ago
    Quoted from thirdedition:

If it is anything like my ranger it will only fit one pin in the back.

The nicer Rangers had 7' beds known as a **longbed**, so you could move 2 pins.

But as a first year offering, I bet a lot of people who only occasionally need to move a pin, lawnmower or Ikea furniture, will find the Maverick bed a perfect size.

unssdfgnamed (resized).jpg
    #273 15 days ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The nicer Rangers had 7' beds known as a **longbed**, so you could move 2 pins.
    But as a first year offering, I bet a lot of people who only occasionally need to move a pin, lawnmower or Ikea furniture, will find the Maverick bed a perfect size. [quoted image]

I have a long bed, but I can't fit two in there, they don't fit between the wheel wells. It is a 94 though. The bed is also too narrow to fit one sideways especially with a cap I don't know about the newer ones.

#274 15 days ago

What’s the range at -35 degrees?

#275 15 days ago
    Quoted from rwmech5:

What’s the range at -35 degrees?

The new Ford pre-heats the battery pack as it de-ices the windows and heats the seats.

My friends in Norway (where 89% of new vehicles are electric, and that lousy arctic circle ) say to count on losing 6% power to the pre-heat. They set the timers to finish the charging cycle within a hour of the morning drive. That way the batteries are warm without the pre-heat.

My combustion truck computer says I'm losing 16% in the coldest months. Lack of traction on the roads, and the anti-gel "winter mix" fuel would be my best guess.

No one will know exactly until a bunch of these trucks are out in the field.

**too new to tell** like they say in the military.

#276 14 days ago

Hadn't seen the EV Mustang before. Didn't know it was a hatchback. Anyone know if a pin will fit in it?

#277 14 days ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The new Ford pre-heats the battery pack as it de-ices the windows and heats the seats.
    My friends in Norway (where 89% of new vehicles are electric, and that lousy arctic circle ) say to count on losing 6% power to the pre-heat. They set the timers to finish the charging cycle within a hour of the morning drive. That way the batteries are warm without the pre-heat.
    My combustion truck computer says I'm losing 16% in the coldest months. Lack of traction on the roads, and the anti-gel "winter mix" fuel would be my best guess.
    No one will know exactly until a bunch of these trucks are out in the field.
    **too new to tell** like they say in the military.

Cabin heat usage is a bigger factor in winter battery capacity. My plugin loses a lot of range in the winter due to running the heat. If you crank it on max like in an ICE vehicle, it takes off about 20-30% capacity. At temps below 20deg F the heat pumps are ineffective, and you have to use resistance heaters. They are coming up with creative ways to combat this, but it's still a major battery draw.

#278 14 days ago
    Quoted from Pinash:

Cabin heat usage is a bigger factor in winter battery capacity. My plugin loses a lot of range in the winter due to running the heat. If you crank it on max like in an ICE vehicle, it takes off about 20-30% capacity. At temps below 20deg F the heat pumps are ineffective, and you have to use resistance heaters. They are coming up with creative ways to combat this, but it's still a major battery draw.

Agreed. And while you can warm the battery on really cold days the battery is the base of the car and instantly cold so range drops quickly. For EV cars expect to loose 35-40% range in the winter as a norm.

#279 14 days ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Agreed. And while you can warm the battery on really cold days the battery is the base of the car and instantly cold so range drops quickly. For EV cars expect to loose 35-40% range in the winter as a norm.

Looks like in this real life test, it was 20%

https://www.carscoops.com/2021/01/how-much-worse-is-a-tesla-model-3s-range-over-2000-miles-in-the-winter/

#280 14 days ago

Yup, not to mention that gas engines lose efficiency depending on the altitude, something that doesn't affect EV's. The Engineering Explained Youtuber is pretty cool, I watch his videos sometimes. He just put one out asking can you do 1000 miles in one day on an EV, an interesting video:

#281 13 days ago

You can buy the new Jeep EV directly from Alibaba for $2,400

Might be a fun adventure with 15 day delivery.

Is it free after federal rebates in the States?

Fun video of it in action:

https://electrek.co/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2021/06/jEExqgZOGxMK8379aos_273966619520_ld_hq.mp4

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Chang-li-Electric-four-wheeler-pickup_1600190966761.html

jeep (resized).jpg
    #282 9 days ago

Ford presold 100,000 Lightning F150 in less than a month!

https://amp.freep.com/amp/7633277002

#283 9 days ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Ford presold 100,000 Lightning F150 in less than a month!
    https://amp.freep.com/amp/7633277002

I heard they hired JPOP and Kevin to help with production planning and IC procurement.

#284 9 days ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Here is the entire **drive train**
    Batteries, motors, brakes, suspension
    No spark plugs, belts, hoses, pulleys, radiators, transmission, master cylinder, alternator, exhaust system, or.....engine
    [quoted image]

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a radiator. Tesla's have coolant lines for the batteries, and the motor itself, if I'm not mistaken. Probably the electronic boxes too.

This instructor does a really good job of going thru what's inside EV's (all makes). Well made videos and incredibility interesting YouTube channel.

There's a fair amount of heavy duty, big electronic boxes in a EV, wonder how that will affect repair costs out of warranty. Lot's of voltage and lots of current. I haven't seen that addressed in the thread - just mostly EV range vs. gas costs.

There are 284 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside