Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 451 posts
  • 76 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by jeffro01
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“F-150 LIGHTNING... who’s in?”

• Yes 21 votes
      17%
    • No 75 votes
      60%
    • Eventually, but not first generation. 29 votes
      23%

(125 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ford (resized).png
    got a date (resized).png
    windpower (resized).jpg
    AlJLPhq (resized).jpg
    68d3ae4a-6864-44bb-9718-98704a9b0861-2021FordF150_062420_ES19.JPG
    L (resized).png
    870E9BDF-4D6B-446A-94E1-18FC7D7C66B0 (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 10.10.47 PM (resized).jpg
    51kRuAVth6L._AC_SL1443_ (resized).jpg
    Thk5pJ1i2xEYBsOEMnlkzd153WRwC8HeQ1BDGn1gHko (resized).jpeg
    jeep (resized).jpg
    unssdfgnamed (resized).jpg
    Ford-Mustang-Mach-E- (resized).jpg
    2022-ford-maverick-rendering-1610128093 (resized).jpg
    Untitlexasdd-1 (resized).jpg
    8250c6c3801c9fa9bfac8f01ac46264b (resized).jpg

There are 451 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 10.
    #1 2 years ago

Anyone plan on getting one? Or already have it on order?

I will probably wait for the second generation (and to see when they announce 250 and 350 lines), but am def. going to do a test drive when they hit the show rooms.

Not sure what the range will be with a truck camper in the bed, but I love the idea of having marine grade solar panels on the truck camper roof and going boon-docking for a week or two while the truck recharges.

https://www.adventure-journal.com/2021/05/the-ford-150-lightning-ev-is-a-surprising-bargain-could-change-everything/

#2 2 years ago

I love my current F-150. I’m definitely going to give it consideration.

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from c508:

Anyone plan on getting one? Or already have it on order?
    I will probably wait for the second generation (and to see when they announce 250 and 350 lines), but am def. going to do a test drive when they hit the show rooms.
    Not sure what the range will be with a truck camper in the bed, but I love the idea of having marine grade solar panels on the truck camper roof and going boon-docking for a week or two while the truck recharges.
    https://www.adventure-journal.com/2021/05/the-ford-150-lightning-ev-is-a-surprising-bargain-could-change-everything/

Reports are the range is atrocious when towing or any substantial load. Under 100 miles was reported.

#4 2 years ago

Gahhh... maybe I wait for Gen 3 then.

Even as a daily driver around town, 100 miles is not much if you are constantly putting heavy things in the bed.

#5 2 years ago

Really disappointed in the name. The "lightning" was a hallmark performance truck for Ford. Not sure why they choose to go this route, either way, I don't like it.

As for price, I am a Ford employee in Canada and the MSRP on a hybrid PowerBoost F150 is $100,000. Now, its a beautiful truck with every option available and is amazing to drive, but its still $100,000!!

What you will get for the base model, in full electric, isn't going to be exciting. Expect to pay WAY more for something you would enjoy driving and using daily.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from c508:

Gahhh... maybe I wait for Gen 3 then.
    Even as a daily driver around town, 100 miles is not much if you are constantly putting heavy things in the bed.

Won’t matter which gen. Until battery tech and charging times come close to gassing up no huge sales will happen. I drive 660 miles a week for work. No fucking way I’m getting stuck waiting 3-6 hours for a charge if I’m lucky to be at a station.

Manufacturers can push tech and infrastructure as much as they want. Until mileage and charge time are fixed, rest is bs.

#7 2 years ago

All for electric cars, and own one. But less than 100 miles of range towing a full load? No thanks. A truck still needs to be a truck.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a36481590/ford-f150-lightning-range-towing/

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

Manufacturers can push tech and infrastructure as much as they want. Until mileage and charge time are fixed, rest is bs.

Yeah, I’ve read the Lightning will weigh in at 35% more than non-electric (with the battery alone contributing an extra 1800 lbs).

It’s one thing for an electric semi truck to just keep adding batteries to the stack in order to prolong the range, but not a practical solution for a normal truck.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

Won’t matter which gen. Until battery tech and charging times come close to gassing up no huge sales will happen. I drive 660 miles a week for work. No fucking way I’m getting stuck waiting 3-6 hours for a charge if I’m lucky to be at a station.

Exactly.

Slightly off topic but it also shows the "realistic" expectations of climate change and those who preach it everyday. You cant just turn off the gas pumps and expect everything to be the same. It takes time to create reasonable options for this market. No one who tows a trailer/boat is going to buy a vehicle that can only travel 100-200 miles before needing to be recharged.

Right now, Hybrid is still the best option, just not at its current cost.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

Exactly I will continue to pull up to a gas pump and 3 min I'm back on the road. Don't be fooled in time it will cost way more to charge an electric car than put gas in, once the electric companies start seeing they can jam it up are asses. Its not free t o charge your car like some try to make you think and imo not very convenient.

#11 2 years ago

One thing I think some people that don’t own an EV may be missing is that you leave your house every morning with a full charge. We have used a Supercharger only two times in nearly five years of ownership despite owning to lowest range model. It’s nice not standing at the pump even for three minutes once a week in February in Chicago.

#12 2 years ago

I’d be in on an electric truck but, for me, it just comes down to range. I have a truck and need to to go from Minneapolis to my Wyoming place. A range of 200 or so miles just doesn’t work for that use. If they can get it to 350 then, I’m in.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jack8765:

One thing I think some people that don’t own an EV may be missing is that you leave your house every morning with a full charge. We have used a Supercharger only two times in nearly five years of ownership despite owning to lowest range model. It’s nice not standing at the pump even for three minutes once a week in February in Chicago.

Which is great for a car you drive to work everyday, not for a truck, used for work/towing. Totally different situation.

#14 2 years ago

I drive an EV already (Tesla) and put a deposit down on the F150. 300 miles will cover 95% of our needs as we don’t tow anything other than a boat short distances anymore. After owning our car for 3 years I can confidently say I will not own another gas or diesel vehicle.

I totally get the range argument when it comes to towing. For those who don’t tow, one of the things a lot of EV owners find is that once you get into the larger range EVs it’s way less of a concern than you’d think. We have done lots of road trips, and charging has never been an issue. We actually prefer taking the car over the truck we have now (F150) for lots of reasons...one being that supercharging get us out of the car to stretch our legs and grab a coffee or whatever.

Ford also patented a toolbox sized gas fired removable range extender that drops in the box. If they bring that to market it should take care of any range anxiety out there, including while towing. Total game changer IMHO. Fingers crossed they pull it off. Heck for most a rental service on that would work.

#15 2 years ago

I drive 3/4 of a mile to work. Other than doctor appointments the longest drive I typically take is no longer than 50 miles round-trip.

When a used Lariat or better becomes available for under $40,000 hell yes I'll be replacing my current F-150!

But honestly it won't be for the gas mileage rather for all that power

#16 2 years ago

I have a cybertruck preorder. 500 miles of range and costs less. Acceleration matches my P90D on paper. Don’t think I’d switch. Not to mention, i like the dystopian look of the cybertruck.

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from Krupps4:

I’d be in on an electric truck but, for me, it just comes down to range. I have a truck and need to to go from Minneapolis to my Wyoming place. A range of 200 or so miles just doesn’t work for that use. If they can get it to 350 then, I’m in.

I mean empty, may work

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from VolunteerPin:

I have a cybertruck preorder. 500 miles of range and costs less. Acceleration matches my P90D on paper. Don’t think I’d switch. Not to mention, i like the dystopian look of the cybertruck.

Have we seen full load tow range though?

#19 2 years ago

It’s going to be weird 20-30 years down the line telling grandkids, etc. that you used to be able to go to a “gas station” and put gas in a jerry can and take it home with you.

“But grandpa, that’s a controlled substance!”

I don’t think we’ll ever be seeing electric bulldozers bigger than a Bobcat. Main battle tanks and other “heavy” construction equipment will probably never operate on anything but diesel... but I bet it won’t be too long after mass adoption of EVs as daily drivers that increased federal regulations and taxes for gasoline and diesel will make it burdensome for the average person to acquire fuel.

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

I mean empty, may work

Haha. That’s cutting it too close for my comfort, but you may be right.

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from VolunteerPin:

I couldnt bring myself to trust any EV other than Tesla, their engineers are light years ahead of anyone else.

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from jandrea95:

I couldnt bring myself to trust any EV other than Tesla, their engineers are light years ahead of anyone else.

Tesla is licensing a bunch of their tech to other automotive manufacturers. It’s going to be the new “INTEL Inside.”

#23 2 years ago

The concept of having the truck (frunk) up front is excellent. Some buyers will no longer be buying double, crew or extended cabs for inside storage. I Actually believe that this will really push new sales. To be able to buy a single cab truck, have a bed in the back and storage in the front, is a winning combination of options to have. Now if it only came with a real engine

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

Which is great for a car you drive to work everyday, not for a truck, used for work/towing. Totally different situation.

Totally agree.

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from c508:

It’s going to be weird 20-30 years down the line telling grandkids, etc. that you used to be able to go to a “gas station” and put gas in a jerry can and take it home with you.
    “But grandpa, that’s a controlled substance!”
    I don’t think we’ll ever be seeing electric bulldozers bigger than a Bobcat. Main battle tanks and other “heavy” construction equipment will probably never operate on anything but diesel... but I bet it won’t be too long after mass adoption of EVs as daily drivers that increased federal regulations and taxes for gasoline and diesel will make it burdensome for the average person to acquire fuel.

I seriously doubt it. EV have a long way to go to get to that point. Most people cannot afford any new car. EV cars are never cheap. Like you said, heavy equipment and commercial vehicles will probably never be ev. Time is money for a business so you can't afford downtime to recharge. Plus, petroleum used for much more than just gas. If govt forces oil prices higher you will see costs of just about everything rise. Don't forget there are already taxes on each gallon of gas for road maintenance. Govt already looking to shift that tax to something like tax per mile as demand decreases. As ev cars get more popular, you will lose tax incentives and start seeing added taxes just on ev cars.

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jack8765:

Totally agree.

I have a pickup and mainly daily driving is empty but when I need to tow excavators etc, it needs to tow. If I only towed in town, maybe it would be fine but having to drive out of town towing, that’s a no go. It’s like a niche market that the Honda truck hits. Small group of people the truck will be perfect for, but the bigger consumer market of real truck users won’t be able to jump ship

#27 2 years ago

I am definitely going to look at it. I wish they would be out by the end of the year but it looks like I'll be getting one more ICE vehicle in between. A lot of the posts are complaining about distance while towing. Definitely an issue for many but there are a lot like me that only tow occasionally and the rest of the time it gets used to move furniture, kids to college and back, pinball machines, and all the trips to Lowes and Home Depot for house projects. I use the truck a lot and the convenience of moving things is a huge help. For the way I'd use it the range isn't an issue so even the initial offering is great. I think it will only get better as battereis improve and it will open it up to more people and those that need to tow often.

As for the name I personally feel it is ideal. Not only Lightning for the electricity aspect but those that mentioned performance may be happy with the acceleration of the EV. Some are pretty impressive.

#28 2 years ago

I still believe hydrogen should be the focus, not electric.

#29 2 years ago

Honestly I think it's funny they advertise these like jobsite vehicles, most folks Using F150 pickup trucks for work are pool guys and nerds who walk around with iPads and deliver parts to their crews.

Most men building America use vans and minivans.

Hell most the trailers and boats I see being towed in my area are with Tahoe's or other big SUVs

That said I drive a 6.7 F350 for elevator work, it's actually decent on gas, I get around 14mpg desiel with 3500lbs in the back

#30 2 years ago

There's 3,750 lbs in the back of this used for testing weight, plus my tools and equipment in the sides, and the lift gate and the side body itself. I get about 14 mpg like this electric/batteries are years and years away from tackling this kinda weight. I would avoid like the plag if you're an actual tradesman. Just my 2 cents.

IMG_20210523_150738152_HDR~2 (resized).jpgIMG_20210523_150738152_HDR~2 (resized).jpg
    #31 2 years ago
    Quoted from lancestorm:

Hydrogen was the golden ticket but that damned heavy explosion upon impact...movie car blowups would be precise.

What is the ‘supercharge’ folks are talking about? 3 minutes or less? That would be comparable to filling up with gas but I can only imagine the heat and wear produced from constantly forcing amps into the battery.

#32 2 years ago

Unfortunately I think supercharge times are still between 30 minutes and 1 hour.

I found this guys video a while ago about electric towing and found it interesting.

#33 2 years ago

I looked at the spec sheet. It didnt state the pinball hauling capacity.

#34 2 years ago

Nah, I already have a 2002 Lightning sitting in the garage waiting to be finished, I don't think I need a less impressive 4 door version.

#35 2 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

Really disappointed in the name. The "lightning" was a hallmark performance truck for Ford. Not sure why they choose to go this route, either way, I don't like it.

They chose it because it's the quickest Ford truck ever. Even quicker than the Raptor

LIGHTNING (resized).jpgLIGHTNING (resized).jpg
    #36 2 years ago
    Quoted from Robotworkshop:

A lot of the posts are complaining about distance while towing. Definitely an issue for many but there are a lot like me that only tow occasionally and the rest of the time it gets used to move furniture, kids to college and back, pinball machines, and all the trips to Lowes and Home Depot for house projects.

Anything new, old men have to cry about.

I actually use my truck to tow a trailer probably a dozen times a year.

Otherwise, a few hundred pounds of pins is about all it carries....lol

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jack8765:

One thing I think some people that don’t own an EV may be missing is that you leave your house every morning with a full charge.

Exactly.

I have a giant Home Heating Oil tank behind my house, that used to run to the furnace before our neighborhood got switched to Natural Gas.

It's great running my truck on Heating Oil and never standing in the wind at a gas station. Cheaper than Diesel too.

#39 2 years ago

Also, no one seems to be talking about the fact that the Ford Lightning can keep your house powered for 3 days.

Great for people in Texas, instead of freezing to death in the next power grid failure

#40 2 years ago
    Quoted from lancestorm:

Probably not the best idea to name that one **Lightning**

image-placeholder-title (resized).jpgimage-placeholder-title (resized).jpg

#41 2 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Also, no one seems to be talking about the fact that the Ford Lightning can keep your house powered for 3 days.
    Great for people in Texas, instead of freezing to death in the next power grid failure

I have generator and off grid solar thanks.

We lose power all the time here.

#42 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

I have generator and off grid solar thanks.
    We lose power all the time here.

Over 100 people froze to death in Texas a few weeks ago because the grid went down.

They could have used a Lightning

#43 2 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

This is a super dumbass comment, show us some KW facts on the lightning output. Houses needed the furnace running, there is no way a lighting can hookup to the house to provide heat in that Kw magnitude for long let alone lights and so forth.

#44 2 years ago

And forget about it being easy todo so, hell I've met electricians that bearly know how to wire and outlet let alone a home owner knowing how to back Freed thru a dryer plug from car.

#45 2 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Over 100 people froze to death in Texas a few weeks ago because the grid went down.

Can't run a gas powered furnace with electricity.

#46 2 years ago
    Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

This is a super dumbass comment, show us some KW facts on the lightning output. Houses needed the furnace running, there is no way a lighting can hookup to the house to provide heat in that Kw magnitude for long let alone lights and so forth.

30kw a day for 3 days is what the news said.

That should be plenty to keep the furnace blower spinning, aquariums pumping and the fridge cold.

#47 2 years ago

I already have a 2000 F150 and I don't think I am interested in an electric truck.
    Sounds like a recipe for major problems.
    Also, from what I hear the truck will not run but around 300 miles without a charge.
    I am not even sure where I could charge the thing if I left the general area that I live.

#48 2 years ago
    Quoted from titanpenguin:

Can't run a gas powered furnace with electricity.

My NG furnace uses electricity to spin the motor.

The heat comes from NG or pellets (although I've never tried the pellets, furnace came with the house)

#49 2 years ago

The brake pads are going to last 400,000 miles Ford is saying.

#50 2 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

They could have used a $500 generator.

There are 451 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-150-lightning-whos-in/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.