• Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20200723_101139 (Large) (resized).jpg
20180927_150813 (resized).jpg
20180927_150751 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GRUMPY.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

I had debated whether to switch that 50V source at the fuse holder under the playfield to 25V and this might prevent the coils from melting and blowing the TIP102 transitors. Then I ended up with a Sample F-14 and found that those coils on that game were wired to the 25V red/white source. Same mech, same value coils. The game works fine and the diverter arms did not appear to get pushed out of the way when the ball hits them, so I'm not sure why the change occurred at the factory and at which point during the run they did it.

This game is what made me seek out a fix to the achilles heel of the system 11 board set and I've seen 2 different approaches, individual coil fuses and a one shot input board.

So long story short I believe that changing the coil voltage on the diverters on F-14 from 50V to 25 should help prevent the game from burning up those transistors randomly.

I disconnect the purple wire and run a red wire to the the pop bumper, then I add a 1 amp fuse to each coil wire and lastly I replace the tip122s to tip102s. Never had another issue after this.

#9 5 years ago

The purple wire has 50 volts on it. The red wire on the pop bumper has 25 volts on it. A Tip 102 is about 60% stronger than the Tip122. So if reduce the voltage by half and use a more robust transistor you fixed the issue. Also you add one fuse for each coil to minimize board damage if something should go wrong. One amp slow blow works.

1 month later
#11 5 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

dont want to make another mistake and melt more money away.

This has been talked about before in the F-14 Tomcat owners Club. Check out posts 3235.

Quoted from SUPERBEE:
Hey Grumpy, any way to modify the pin to prevent this from happening ?

Yes, Q-77 and Q-79 on the CPU board can be replaced with a TIP 102 transistor as they are 60% stronger then the factory TIP122. You can remove the ramp and diverters, disassemble it, clean and lubricate all moving parts and replace both coil sleeves. Adjust it according to the Williams service bulletin. http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/804/Williams_1987_F_14_Tomcat_Service_Bulletin_no_number_undated_to_resolve_binding_diverter_gate_assembly.pdf

You can install a inline fuse for each of the diverter coils on the power wire, 1 amp slow blow fuse. You can add snubber relays for the coils to remove all the stress from the transistor and place it on the relay. You can add a high current driver (TIP 36c) for each coil, this is a higher wattage transistor to take the place of the snubber relay. And the last thing you can do is to remove the high voltage (75 volts) from the two coils and wire them with low voltage (32 volts) from the pop bumper coil.

You only need to do one of the last three items, After this it will never melt down again.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Switches on either side of it on the matrix work so I'm hoping it's just a wire under the ramp that broke.

The switches in a row or a column in the switch matrix do not follow any kind of order. The factory wired them which ever way saved them the most wire. What you need to check is if all the rest in a row or a column work, if you find another switch that doesn't work it will help you pin point a location for the broken wire. Also it can still be a bad diode or switch too.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GRUMPY.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-14-wiring-differences-on-diverter-coils-50v-vs-25v?tu=GRUMPY and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.