(Topic ID: 79182)

F-14 upper center flasher wire colors/connections?

By Pac-Fan

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Big_Bob
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

before.jpg
meeting pat 2013 novembre 057.JPG
someelsesj14.jpg
f14flash2.jpg
f14flash.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I am rebuilding mine I bought stripped (which literally had the entire PF in a baggie and box ) and Snux has sent me pictures of the flashers above the pop bumper on his machine. However I believe I have somewhat different wire colors (white (most are dirty but white when ends cleaned) instead of grey or brown) and they don't match the information in the manual.

Below are two pics showing what I have. My machine has all clear flashers on the upper right back, so an 'earlier' version. My PF actually had dimples for the screws for the two red flashers immediately behind the targets but no screws appeared to ever been installed there. I found the wires wrapped up underneath, plus a dangling yellow wire in the bundle on the right one.

Anyway, before I go buy two more sockets (and insulate them ) and solder things up, a quick assistance from anyone who really knows this area would be much appreciated.

f14flash.jpgf14flash.jpg
f14flash2.jpgf14flash2.jpg

Switched:
01C FL1 BLK=BRN / GRY-BRN Q33 (VIO-BRN) Middle left
02C FL2 BLK-RED / GRY-RED Q25 (VIO-RED) Lower left flipper
03C FL3 BLK-ORA / GRN-ORA Q32 (VIO-ORA) Lower right flipper
04C FL4 BLK-YEL / GRY-YEL Q24 (VIO-YEL) Middle right bottom (Red)
05C FL5 BLK-GRN / GRY-GRN Q31 (VIO-GRN) Middle right center (clear)
06C FL6 BLK-BLU / GRY-BLU Q23 (VIO-BLU) Middle right top (Blue)
07C FL7 BLK-VIO / GRY-VIO Q30 (VIO-BLK) Upper left loop (Red) / Upper right loop center (clear)
08C FL8 BLK-GRY / GRY-BLK Q22 (VIO-GRY) Center target

Controlled:
09 FL9 BRN-BLK Upper right loop left (Blue)
15 FL10 BRN-VIO Upper right loop bottom (Red)

From another pic I saw, it looked like for the set of 3 on the upper right:
Left (Blue): 2 reds + Yellow short one then plain white
Center (Clear): 2 oranges then 2 white+purples
Right (Red): Short yellow from the left one then a grey w/black

someelsesj14.jpgsomeelsesj14.jpg
#2 10 years ago

I have an early F14 with the clear back board flashers but my wiring has different colors than yours, but doesn't match the manual either.

I have re-wired mine with the extra red flashers and think I can piece your wiring together for you.

You mention that your PF is dimpled but no screw installed however, this isn't totally true. You have wiring and it looks like a socket was screwed in on the left side. The service bulletin that went out would have the wiring and socket removed from that side entirely. The way the later machines went out was only the clear and blue flasher and no flashers on solenoid 7. So here is my assumption on how you should wire this baby up:

1) Left Red Flasher - Orange pair to socket, White w/purple to bulb dimple.
2) Right Red Flasher - Orange pair to socket, White w/purple pair to dimple.
These 2 flashers should flash together and be on Flasher (solenoid) 7

3) Yellow wire gets soldered to the same lug as the 2 red wires on the blue flasher. (alternatively you could try the yellow wire on the Orange wires of the red socket)
4) Clear Flasher - Other end of Yellow wire to socket, white wire to dimple.

You have 2 sets of flasher power in your area, orange and red. On mine, I only have Red flasher power and all 4 flash bulbs are powered by the same red wire. Not sure why you have Red and Orange but I'm not sure it makes all that much difference anyway.

Can you tell me what color wire is soldered to A7 on the right side of the diode board under the playfield?

#3 10 years ago

its mine...

meeting pat 2013 novembre 057.JPGmeeting pat 2013 novembre 057.JPG
#4 10 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

I have an early F14 with the clear back board flashers but my wiring has different colors than yours, but doesn't match the manual either.... Not sure why you have Red and Orange but I'm not sure it makes all that much difference anyway.

I also have early version (clear flash/clear dome/44 sockets under arrows) and I also wired the extra flashers in. I just reversed the service bulletin that disabled the flashers
http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/804/Williams_1987_F_14_Tomcat_Service_Bulletin_41.pdf

When reversing the mod the red pair and yellow wires stay on the blue flasher, remaining untouched basically.
The orange pairs should be found tucked away, taped somewhere near where the original flashers were mounted. One pair provides flasher power for RED1, the other to CLEAR. What you should end up with is this:

before.jpgbefore.jpg

There is also a handy youtube video on the subject:

#5 10 years ago

When I reversed the service bulletin to wire up the red flashers, there were no wires tucked away and it was obvious that the red flashers were never installed (dimpled holes never had screws in them). Also, there wasn't a wire on A7 on the diode board.

Looks like pinballfan's machine is wired just like I told the OP to wire his up!

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

When I reversed the service bulletin to wire up the red flashers, there were no wires tucked away and it was obvious that the red flashers were never installed (dimpled holes never had screws in them). Also, there wasn't a wire on A7 on the diode board.
Looks like pinballfan's machine is wired just like I told the OP to wire his up!

I didn't go over it thoroughly, but when I skimmed it it looked to be correct. It's been a while since I did mine, the orange are just going to originate from multiplexed solenoid power somewhere and you are correct that it probably doesn't matter, on mine they were just taped and tied up the the harness near the flasher area. I don't even think they are on the game schematics.

#7 10 years ago

I generated a schematic for all PF flashers including the diode board and Proto flashers. I will post soon.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-14-upper-center-flasher-wire-colorsconnections and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.