(Topic ID: 87800)

F-14 Tomcat: VUK ball popper varies widely in ability to kick up = multiple hits

By Pac-Fan

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Gorno
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

One of the last mechanical problems on my F14 is the upper right VUK ball popper.
- About 20% of the time it kicks it hard and straight and the ball quickly flows off into the tray on the left.
- Another 25% of the time, it kicks it up and the ball trickles very slowly finally making it in the tray.
- 5% of the time it kicks it up and the ball can't make it to the tray and slides back down into the shooter lane.
- The remaining 50% of the time it takes 2 to as many as 5 kicks to get it up -- with the ball not making it out of the vertical portion of the wireform.

Things I've tried to improve it:
- Zip tied the VUK wireform to the ball shooter wireform in the middle. This lifted the shooter form and slightly lowered the VUK one so that a slow kick tends to have a better shot at getting to the left side (more angle of decline when dropping, less angle of incline once dropped)
- Moved the angled plate on the back of the VUK hole as far back as possible to ensure it's not hitting that
- Realigned both metal side lane guides leading to the VUK (pushing as far out as possible next to it)
- Slightly shifted the VUK wireform
- Completely disassembled and cleaned and rebuilt (new coil sleeve, spring, coil stop) the VUK assembly.
- Made the activation switch more as well as less sensitive

My best guess is that the ball hitting the catch is just enough to trigger the switch but the catch hasn't fully 'fallen' onto the base of the plunger / sitting at an angle, and therefore when it pops it binds against the wood or loses some of the kick. However one would think it would take at most 2 kicks then given how hard the ball falls back on it after a failed one. But the top moves nicely and I don't notice anything when testing it by hand, and without a high speed camera, it's hard to tell exactly what's happening when it doesn't work.

Any ideas to improve this? It really makes for getting the 3 landings during multi-ball to win the jackpot hard, when there is a ball constantly being kicked with no room for a second one

PS: SIde question since I mentioned shooter lane: Why did F14 have a red colored (high tension) shooter spring? I found that very annoying (and apparently the cause of some cracking on the upper left diverter tray at the impact point), so I replaced it with a used plain silver one that has even less tension than a new one, and the game works perfectly fine that way and could even go at least one lighter on that I think. Anyone else experience this?

#2 10 years ago

I've only had the re-kick problem and the ball get stuck at the transition area between the wireform and diverter tray. It's been a long time since I've had to fool with this, but what I think I can remember is there was something going on with the flap on the diverter tray. After repairing that and reassembling I've had no problems with it.

The default shooter rod spring is blue, I think - at least that is what I see the most. The high tension blue one is usually required for any of these sys 11 games with a 'ramp up' in the shooter lane. Even more so if you jack the back of the game up. This is why I have the red version highest tension spring on Taxi, because it has a ramp up, and the spinout, and I pitch them slightly higher for faster play. I don't have my F-14 in front of me, I might even have the red spring on it, I know it's either red or blue.

#3 10 years ago

It's one of those things were something is off slightly. When things like this happen, I just stand over it and keep loading balls into it, watching, until something eventually triggers visually as the possible problem.

Not much melp, but it's that kind of problem given what you have done.

#4 10 years ago

When this was happening to me, I bent the metal plate backwards and that fixed the problem.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

I might even have the red spring on it, I know it's either red or blue.

Verified, I have a red spring on it, and black rubber shooter tip. Nice smooth and fast launch - as I think it should be.

1 month later
#6 9 years ago

hi, i have exactly the same problem as yours and it drives me mad. would you be so kind to make a picture of the ball popper so i can see if mine is the same ? where can i buy those red springs ? thanks alot !

9 months later
#7 9 years ago

I am having the same issue. Has anyone found anyother ways to get it working correctly? My vuk was working correctly prior to disassembling the playfield, but I can't see any changes.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from gismo31:

hi, i have exactly the same problem as yours and it drives me mad. would you be so kind to make a picture of the ball popper so i can see if mine is the same ? where can i buy those red springs ? thanks alot !

Manual page 41 has diagram, parts list for the ball popper. You can buy the red springs at just about any pinball parts distributor such as Marco Specialties.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/10-148-2

#9 9 years ago

Mmm after repositioning the coil (it was sideways), replacing the sleeve and bending that metal backstop back; it's hammering the balls now. So much better. Sadly, I found that my launch habitrail (wire form ramp) has two broken welds.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-14-tomcat-vuk-ball-popper-varies-widely-in-ability-to-kick-up-multiple-hits and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.