• Latest reply 3 years ago by Brewchap
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200706_181407 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

I have a new to me F-14 Tomcat that I get 10 diagnostic flashes. I do know that means there is a problem with U27 ROM or its associated components and connections. I replaced the ROM today and still get the 10 flashes. I removed all connections except 1J17 and still get the flashes. So now I am at the point that I need to check the associated components, but I don't know what they are. I have never worked on any system 11 boards.

I believe that the guide that I'm working with is Clay's guide, but it don't go into depth on this subject, other than working with a dead board. I do have a logic pin and a Radio Shack probe style oscilloscope and would very much love knowing how to work on this board.

I'm going to double check the power supply, but what should I check other than that?

20200706_181407 (resized).jpg20200706_181407 (resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from Brewchap:

I have a new to me F-14 Tomcat that I get 10 diagnostic flashes. I do know that means there is a problem with U27 ROM or its associated components and connections. I replaced the ROM today and still get the 10 flashes. I removed all connections except 1J17 and still get the flashes. So now I am at the point that I need to check the associated components, but I don't know what they are. I have never worked on any system 11 boards.
I believe that the guide that I'm working with is Clay's guide, but it don't go into depth on this subject, other than working with a dead board. I do have a logic pin and a Radio Shack probe style oscilloscope and would very much love knowing how to work on this board.
I'm going to double check the power supply, but what should I check other than that?
[quoted image]

There is a massive amount of alkaline damage and residue on that board and is almost certainly the root cause of your problems. I'd suggest you consider sending it out to someone like Jerry Clause (I don't know if he's on here or just on the Facebook Repair Help Group), Chris Hibler or any of the others that do / would be willing to take this on. That's pretty bad looking and I hope they can save it.

#3 3 years ago

If you come up with the contact for him, I would appreciate it too. I have an F-14 board that had the same issues and I would like to get the original board working again, as the audio is better than the rottendog replacement I have in there now

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyohtay:

If you come up with the contact for him, I would appreciate it too. I have an F-14 board that had the same issues and I would like to get the original board working again, as the audio is better than the rottendog replacement I have in there now

I know chuckwurt has dealt with Jerry before so you might want to PM him for his contact info.

#5 3 years ago

FYI, Jerry Clause's e-mail is dragster_73 AT hotmail.com he's usually quick on turnaround and does good work, hopefully he or someone else can help you guys out.

#6 3 years ago

Thank you, I sent the board out for repair.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-14-tomcat-sys-11a-10-diagnostic-flashes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.