(Topic ID: 47277)

F-14 Tomcat Slingshots & Pop Bumper went out.

By dacompmandan

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC00514.JPG
#1 11 years ago

I am a new owner to a F-14 Tomcat, and I absolutely love the table. It is the talk of all the people coming by and we have had hours of fun playing it. Recently I noticed one slingshot was a bit weak so I got out a tweezer and bent it just slightly so it was closer to triggering (thus would activate more often when being lightly hit with a ball).

After about one game after that the slingshots will not activate, nor will the single pop bumper towards the top of the table. Wondering if someone could point me to some suggestions for fixing it.

Also it would be noteworthy that one game prior to it going out I did make some tweaks to the settings, but the only changes were to change from replay to extra ball, and set two reward levels, along with turning off attract mode and the knocker.

#2 11 years ago

Did you do this with the power on ? If so you may have done board damage to your switches.

Your game has a coil test and switch test, manual can guide you. Try both and first see which isn't working.

Also be sure that set of points isn't now stuck together.

LTG : )

#3 11 years ago

I will check into this and no the power was off.

#4 11 years ago

I am having the same issue, except I adjusted the pop bumper, but now all three aren't registering. If you figure out the solution please let me know!

#5 11 years ago

Hahaha. I have another thread (f14 solinoid issues) going right now with similar issues. I changed the pop bumper. Now the left sling locks on. It seems like a switch issue. I hope to dig into it again tonight.

#6 11 years ago

I worked on it a bit tonight but I did not get any further. I am trying to look through the schematics to find what controls it goes through tonight.

#7 11 years ago

Alright mine was a blown fuse underneath the play field. I think when I was adjusting the switch I made a complete connection, which, I'm assuming, applies a continuous flow of electricity. The fuse is a time delay fuse, so I guess it just took a few seconds of switch continuity to burn out. Anyway, try checking the fuse under the back right corner of the play field and possibly readjusting the switches to prevent a continuous connection (although that last part may not be imperative, I have no idea what I'm doing. This is my first pin, so you may only need to replace the fuse.)

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from 320Gigabytes:

Alright mine was a blown fuse underneath the play field. I think when I was adjusting the switch I made a complete connection, which, I'm assuming, applies a continuous flow of electricity. The fuse is a time delay fuse, so I guess it just took a few seconds of switch continuity to burn out. Anyway, try checking the fuse under the back right corner of the play field and possibly readjusting the switches to prevent a continuous connection (although that last part may not be imperative, I have no idea what I'm doing. This is my first pin, so you may only need to replace the fuse.)

This. Those solenoids are on a fuse under the playfield

#9 11 years ago

Found the blown fuse. Going to get some 2.5amp time delay fuse. Thanks for helping.

EDIT: Ok got replacements, it looks like the pop bumper gets stuck open (and the fuse pops after about 5 seconds)... That's weird I didn't even touch that but it looks like it's time to diagnose that.

#11 11 years ago

The transistor or pre driver is probably bad or the coil is shorted.

1 week later
#12 10 years ago

http://images.pwc-gaming.com/35/1367253344.jpg

Transistors look bad, don't they?

#13 10 years ago

Is the switch stuck, making contact? Put in switch test and see if its closed? The q77 and q 79 transistors are for the upper and lower ball diverter (dont ask how I know that) if the ball divertors still work then there still good, might have been replaced at some point.

#14 10 years ago

You can't really tell by looking at those. Yes, the rework itself doesn't look great, but that doesn't mean it is the problem. You really need to test the components and circuitry with a meter to be certain.

2 weeks later
#15 10 years ago

Just an update. I had a friend who works with electronics (repairing analog music equipment) put new transistors in the spot, and now it's working. New issue, the Yagov Kicker isn't working, it registers that it hits it, it sounds like it's trying to energize the solenoid but it doesn't. It also have a wire just hanging there. I believe in opening the playfield this was pulled and disconnected. Just would like a word from some other owners that it is for the kicker.

http://images.pwc-gaming.com/35/1368600173.jpg <-- Picture

#16 10 years ago

If no one chimes in I will check mine later.

#17 10 years ago

I have pics of the area on my laptop, I can upload one in about an hour.

#18 10 years ago

Here is a pic of the yagov kicker when I snipped the wires, it looks like that green one goes on the lower lug. Best pic I could find real quick on my way out the door to work, if you need a different one, I can look tonight. Just let me know.

DSC00514.JPGDSC00514.JPG

#19 10 years ago

That's the exact color, not too many use that color of green. I truly think opening it one time caused it to disconnect. Time for the fun of removing that part of the upper play field. Thanks so much and I am so happy you had that picture.

You all deserve medals.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-14-tomcat-slingshots-pop-bumper-went-out and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.