new-body.jpg
star-post.jpg
bumper-body.jpg
lift.jpg
upper-before.jpg
spinner-distruction.jpg
left-kicker.jpg
line-of-death.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider practicalsteve.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#38 11 years ago

Great job on the restore vid! Just amazing work. I have been contemplating removing my Mylar and have two quick questions. Did you lose a lot of playfield paint when you pulled it up? I know you typically can lose a lot of the insert art. Second, how necessary is clear coating afterwards? Will regular cleanings and waxings in a HUO setting be sufficient? Thanks in advance!

#40 11 years ago

Thanks vid, I really appreciate the info. This is only my second machine and while I have learned a lot about pin repair and done a full teardown on the top of two playfields the underside teardown still really intimidates me. Gave me a lot to think about, thanks again.

8 months later
#46 10 years ago
Quoted from Ed731:

1. How the heck do you get at all the flashers on the backside of the PF? Only 2 work!

Pop the playfield up about halfway and hold it, now here is the tricky part. You have to reach blindly behind it there is a little board back there with the flashers, there are two wing nuts one at each end, remove those. You also have to unplug the board. Often times traces get burnt out on the board so test continuity with your dmm to see if each light is getting power. Otherwise you may replace with all new bulbs put it back in and find that some do not work.

Quoted from Ed731:

2. I saw on a post somewhere that the dome lights were in a Service Bulletin and they are not supposed to work? Non of mine light up at all.

Are you talking about the beacon lights on the very top of the backbox? Those should all work unless something is wrong with yours. The service bulletin refers to the top two flashers at the top of the playfield right beneath the horseshoe loop you make to raise the bonus. Unless you happened to buy an early prototype chances are that when you go look you will see two clear domes and there will not be any flashers, not even sockets for flashers.

Not sure where to best direct you on how to troubleshoot #3 and #4. You may want to start a new thread for your problems, people tend to ignore older threads. I would start a new one and make sure you choose tech help for the group

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider practicalsteve.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-14-tomcat-restoration?tu=practicalsteve and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.