• Latest reply 6 years ago by GRUMPY
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

4600x (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

My F-14 has a random tilt issue, I believe that is what they call it. I can start a game and play, then randomly the game will return to a game over mode. Can anyone share some of the common issues that cause this?

#2 6 years ago

Game over mode sounds like a slam tilt, not a regular tilt.

Check the one on your coin door first to see if it needs adjusting.

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago

Or are you seeing a reset issue ?

LTG : )

#4 6 years ago

Echoing what Lloyd said, does it suddenly just kinda click and go back to attract mode? Does it seem to happen frequently and almost whenever multiball starts?

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Or are you seeing a reset issue ?

You need to check the 5 volt signal while playing a game.

#6 6 years ago

Thanks all, yes it suddenly go back to attract mode.

#7 6 years ago

Curse of the Phantom tilt...

#8 6 years ago

Ok- I had time to look up the info I think that will help you. I had this issue with my F-14 a few years back (long sold) and this fixed it. I have told multiple people this fix as well and it worked for them too. You need to replace SRC6. I am copying and pasting the next two little sections from elsewhere

"SRC6* (1k/470 pfd) = resistor/capacitor network for switch matrix columns. Has 1k ohm resistors with 470 pF caps in a single package.
Can not be tested in-circuit.

Replace with a 1k ohm x 9 resistor bussed (10 pins) with no capacitors. Cut off pin 10 (important!), and install pin 1 (common) in pin 1 of the board. The cut pin 10 of the resistor network does not go into the board's pin 10 position. See
notes below for more info on this. Mouser part# 652-4610X-1LF-1K."

This has the Mouser part number but may I recommend using Great Plains Electronics instead as they are good folk and have actual pinball knowledge and can be very helpful.

In laymans terms in case that went over your head. This is a little board work. See the pic below but ignore what is written on it (it may be wrong, I just did a google image search so you would get the idea)

See that little dot on the one end? That's the one pin refered to above (your correctly ordered part will have that dot). The 10th pin will be at the other end, you cut just that pin off. Remove the component at SRC6 on your board and replace with the one it tells you to above. Make sure when you solder it in there is no connection where that tenth pin you cut off is.

This should fix it.

4600x (resized).jpg4600x (resized).jpg

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from jojo97222:

Thanks all, yes it suddenly go back to attract mode.

This is a reset issue not a tilt issue. So the 2 slam tilts maybe set to close or you have low 5 volts.

2 weeks later
#10 6 years ago

Thanks all, replacing the SRC6 resister did not correct the issue. I did track the problem down to the 3J1 connector on the power supply board. I pinched all the female connectors closed a little tighter and the issue has not returned, the connector was also hot. I will order and replace those connectors to make it a permanent fix.

#11 6 years ago

If you post a pic of your power supply I can tell if its has been rebuilt. As you may also need to replace the caps.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-14-tomcat-random-tilt-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.