Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Bigun
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Working on a machine, customer replaced the speakers with some car speakers he had in his garage. After replacement he smelt burning, and noticed the bottom segments of players 3 & 4 weren't working.

After looking over the display board (D-11610) I couldn't find anything that seemed ruined. I then started testing the components and everything seemed to be ok on the display board - R14 tested within tolerances of a 10K resistor, U15 was putting out anywhere between -19 and -80 volts on each output pin per spec. Wiggled the jumper, nothing seemed to be wrong.

In frustration, I started looking over the board for anything obvious, and I found Q77 looked burnt at one of it's legs. Tracing it back, it looks like it goes back to a solenoid. So it seems unrelated.

Planning on replacing Q77, but I don't know how a set of speakers could lead to all of this, or what my next steps should be beyond replacing Q77. Needing some guidance here.

#2 4 years ago

I'll give the same advice that PinballManiac40 gives ... please post a picture of the board. Please post close up pictures of the battery holder or areas around the battery holder. You can also post a picture of the burned solenoid if you want an opinion on that.

<sarcasm>Please be aware that EVERYONE on Pinside has an opinion so you won't be short on those.</sarcasm>

#3 4 years ago

You guys were right, the Q77 wasn't toasted, it looks like whoever replaced it, didn't clean the board very well when they replaced it. So I cleaned it up.

And before I go into this, the display board is a D-11610, it's not the board schematic listed in the F-14 Tomcat Manual over at Internet Pinball Machine Database - Look up the Space Station machine for the display specific schematic.

After looking at the display board some more, I found a trace that was nearly burned apart, after re-attaching, has fixed nearly 90% of the problem. The top displays (players 1 & 2) are functional again. I didn't mention it but they were illegible and segments weren't even lighting up in entirety. But that has been fixed.

Still having issues with players 3 & 4, but what I've come to realize, it only happens in the first few minutes of operation. Eventually, the lower segments on players 3 & 4 will eventually stay lit consistently. I shot video of the behavior, when it does happen, it seems to only happen when player 3 is lit up, then players 3 & 4 bottom segments go out. Starting to suspect U9 (4050) may be the culprit. Maybe after some use it starts working. I can reflow as a first troubleshooting step, just wondering if I need to go ahead and replace it.

Video of the behavior:

1 month later
#4 4 years ago

Got it fixed. I went ahead and replaced U9 (4050 hex buffer) on a whim thinking it was needing time to warm up and was wearing out. After replacement, it started working perfectly.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-14-tomcat-q77-is-toasted-but-display-isn-t-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.