Topic Stats

• 61 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 54 days ago by TOKYOSANDBLASTER
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 13 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20190524_015520 (resized).jpg
no doide (resized).PNG
dirty (resized).PNG
20190523_092919 (resized).jpg
20190523_092927 (resized).jpg
20190523_092949 (resized).jpg
20190517_035702 (resized).jpg
20190517_035716 (resized).jpg
20190517_012537 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
CPU (resized).PNG
20190509_003822 (resized).jpg
20190506_084902 (resized).jpg

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 57 days ago
Quoted from TOKYOSANDBLASTER:

That was mentioned one other time. Ive soldiered in the past but I'm not sure I trust myself enough for this type of thing. If I was positive which wires to use I would probably try it. I've read that the red wire is supposed to come from the pop bumper?

Yep so the short sweet version. there will be a red wire attached to the pop bumper. there is purple and yellow on the diverter. you remove the purple yellow wires from the diverters (they are on a daisy chain so your essentially removing a section and then hooking the power back in at another 50V coil. Yagov is closest ). Then you run a wire from where the red wire is on the pop bumper over to where you removed the purple/yellow wires. I promise if you take some good pics me and grumpy can get ya sorted. This is what I did with mine. I went back to the fuse so everything looked close to stock but you can just add 1 wire from pop to diverter and accomplish same thing.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-f-14-tomcat-2/page/2#post-4867195

#52 57 days ago

That was mentioned one other time. Ive soldiered in the past but I'm not sure I trust myself enough for this type of thing. If I was positive which wires to use I would probably try it. I've read that the red wire is supposed to come from the pop bumper?

Your divertors are already wired to the red/white 25 volt power wire.

#53 57 days ago

I need to look at the pictures harder. I saw it was mentioned then looked at the blown up picture and somehow thought it was the diverter coil my bad. So yes you are good on that aspect. I guess I’ll ask the question. What are your plans for the machine. Are you just trying to get it playable or are you looking into more of a restoration? If you wanting to restore it to good working order I would start by making sure all the fuses are the correct values. Then start pulling individual coils and rebuild them. Enough diodes (coils) for the entire machine would only be a few bucks. Also willing to bet a good majority of your coil sleeves need to be replaced. You do this all at once. One coil at a time. The first couple will take a little while but once you get the hang of it it is not that bad. I did all mine over the course of a week Couple hours a night getting roughly 4 done. If you just wanting to get it playable look at all the coils and make sure they have diodes like grumpy had mentioned. Once that’s sorted run the coil tests. Test a single coil and let it fire several times to see if fuse pops. The balls getting lost in the right lkickout start with switch tests. I had the same issue with balls being lost over their and it ended up being the switch at the top of wireform that leads to kickout.

#54 57 days ago

Yours is already wired to the 25V from the factory. Some came this way. I just had an early sample F-14 late last year and it was wired 25V from the factory.

25V is the Red wire with the white stripe
50V is the Purple wire with the yellow stripe.

#55 57 days ago

tried to repost OP's picture from post #47, didn't work.

#56 57 days ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

Yours is already wired to the 25V from the factory. Some came this way. I just had an early sample F-14 late last year and it was wired 25V from the factory.
25V is the Red wire with the white stripe
50V is the Purple wire with the yellow stripe.

Looks like it is the 50v wire

20190524_015520 (resized).jpg
#57 57 days ago

Looks like it is the 50v wire[quoted image]

In that case the diverters have nothing to do with the blown fuse.
Normally on most F-14's the diverters wired up to the 50V is an issue and needs to be corrected.

#58 57 days ago

The 50v from that fuse on yours is used to drive the Jagoff kicker and the 3 ball lock launchers and I think the top right VUK(all through relays) and maybe something else (the flippers are through the fuse on the 50V board (in the bottom left of that picture.)

#59 54 days ago

So my diverters are actually hooked up with the red wire so those should be good. Once again I put a fresh fuse in and nothing went wrong. I ran the coil test and every coil popped 20 times with no fail. So something has to be shorting under the playfield or like somebody else said a pinched wire.

#60 54 days ago

Something must be moving around when you put the play field down.

#61 54 days ago

This is getting insane. I don't know how many games I've played but it's been fine. This is with the playfield down. I finally close the back box and put the glass on and it doesn't go one game without blowing the fuse. Something has to be catching in the backbox. The glass wouldn't change anything would it?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 279.95
$ 221.00
Cabinet Parts
Tilted Pinball
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 36.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
1,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Morristown, NJ
There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside