Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by pdman
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

My F-14 Tomcat runs like a top and is generally in GREAT shape! Occasionally, at an unpredictable frequency, it will power down and right back up. Usually I notice it while I'm playing, it will just power down and right back up which happens over the course of probably 1-2 seconds then the machine resumes waiting for you to start a new game. I would guess it happens at most every 50 games or so. I just ran the burn in mode and it went for an hour or so then powered down and back up just like when playing it, the next burn in session it went about 2 hours and did the power down/up thing, on the final burn in mode it ran for over 12 hours at which time I turned the machine off. I turned it back on and there were no faults found and it obviously ran for over 12 hours with out having the power down/up glitch.

Anybody have any ideas???

Travis

#2 11 years ago

Try this first look for and test the diodes on the flipper coils,A faulty/loose/cracked diode on a flipper coil can cause this problem.Inspect every coil diode for cracks or loose/broken leads, especially the flipper coils.Pop bumpers take a beating and have diodes that can go bad.Also,Check the +5 volts on the CPU board with the game in attract mode. Should be 4.9 volts to 5.2 volts DC.Since you are saying it happens after many games is the game hooked up on its own power outlet with nothing else?

1 month later
#3 11 years ago

Okay I have more info to report that may help someone figure this problem out. I recently shopped the machine, replaced all four flipper coils and some other random stuff. Everything works great, plays as expected.

Here is what I have narrowed down:

It will randomly power down during attract mode or game play, but seems to be doing it more and more frequently (every couple minutes now). When it powers down the GI lighting stays on, but the flipper function, strobes, music and back box all stop working - power off. This will last for about 2-3 seconds then the game will come back to life, make a "ding" sound, as if you just turned on the machine using the power switch. I have watched the diagnostic light while it happens and nothing comes up In fact when it powers down the diagnostic & blanking lights turn off but the 5vdc light stays on.

It seems like another clue is that when it goes into attract mode it will typically power down just as the machine starts the attract mode with "Now you DIE!", it will at times power down as soon as it gets to this part of the attract mode (maybe coincidence). As I write this, it is starting to power down as above described, about every 1-2 minutes, cant stay running (other than the GI lighting which never so much as blinks).

Another clue, if it starts doing the power down every 2 minutes or so I can turn off the machine, wait 5 minutes turn it back on and it seems to last longer before it starts up the power down problem!

I am looking for any diagnostic advice, it seems to me that the power to the 5vdc is consistent and good but whatever other power supply for flipper, back glass, strobes, audio and such is faulty. There must be a common power supply or failure point for these systems?? Any advice is GREATLY appreciated!

Travis

#4 11 years ago

Last night I powered up the machine and as soon as the switch was flipped, it did this weird thing where it made a loud humming noise, the play field and GI lights dimmed then went super bright then flickered for about 10 seconds, then the loud humming sound stopped and the playfield/GI lights stayed on like normal and about 2 minutes later the back box turned on and it went into attract mode just like everything was fine. Played the music, flashed the lights the audio and everything was just like normal. So I took this opportunity to measure the voltages at the CPU and the power supply. Here is what I found:

On the CPU – IJ17 pins 4, 5 & 6 supposed to be the 5+vdc each had 4.84VDC; Pin 12 is supposed to be 12vdc but was only 10.4vdc. On the power supply at 3J6 I got the exact same readings as from the CPU, all 5+vdc was 4.84 and the 12vdc was only 10.4!!

So it seems like I am not getting the right voltage?? I'm really hoping that just replacing the power supply for one of the new age replacement power supplies is the solution!! Is replacing the power supply the solution if I don't want to replace individual capacitors and such on the original power supply?

Travis

#5 11 years ago

Travis

It sure looks like a power supply issue. Can't guarantee that a new one will fix your problem. You'd have to try a new one and find out.

Sounds like a Cap is going bad, leaky, etc

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-14-tomcat-power-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.