View topic image gallery

B527B83E-EF9B-48EC-92BC-BF27CDE1B359 (resized).jpeg
C2B1018E-737F-4A74-932A-A598DE570A54 (resized).jpeg
display2 (resized).jpeg
display1 (resized).jpeg
missing display segment (resized).JPG
#1 5 years ago

Hi Pinside,
I recently picked up a F-14 Tomcat. When I got it home and set up, I noticed that the player 4 display is missing the "f" segment. Its consistent across the one display, and the other segments are nice and bright.
I tried removing the cable and connections from the display and reseating them back on, but it didn't change anything. Later tonight I will try to switch the connections for display 3 and 4 and see if the symptom switches to 3 and if 4 works perfectly. Until then, any advice on what I should be looking at fix the missing f segments? Maybe corrosion on a pin responsible for the f? maybe a poor ribbon cable? I'm pretty new to pinball machines so any help is appreciated.
Thanks!

missing display segment (resized).JPGmissing display segment (resized).JPG

display1 (resized).jpegdisplay1 (resized).jpeg

display2 (resized).jpegdisplay2 (resized).jpeg

#2 5 years ago

I had the display out to check its pins and board. Everything looks good, so I’m thinking it’s on the driver board maybe?

C2B1018E-737F-4A74-932A-A598DE570A54 (resized).jpegC2B1018E-737F-4A74-932A-A598DE570A54 (resized).jpeg

B527B83E-EF9B-48EC-92BC-BF27CDE1B359 (resized).jpegB527B83E-EF9B-48EC-92BC-BF27CDE1B359 (resized).jpeg

#3 5 years ago

Is the F segment out in display 3 too? Check the resistance of R-47 on the display driver board.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Is the F segment out in display 3 too? Check the resistance of R-47 on the display driver board.

Thanks for the response!
Display 3 is working perfectly.
R47 looks good, but I’ll check it’s resistance ASAP.
I was also given the suggestion to give the src resistors a bit of a wiggle, but that didn’t fix the f segments.

#5 5 years ago

If display #3 is working correctly then you have a bad connection on the display board. This bad connection will be after R-47. After R-47 this signal splits and goes to both #3 and #4. Somewhere after the split there is a poor connection. I would start with reflowing pin 39 on #4 display and then retest it.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

If display #3 is working correctly then you have a bad connection on the display board. This bad connection will be after R-47. After R-47 this signal splits and goes to both #3 and #4. Somewhere after the split there is a poor connection. I would start with reflowing pin 39 on #4 display and then retest it.

Thanks again Grumpy! I will definitely go in this direction and see what happens.

4 months later
#7 5 years ago

Ok, I have almost the same issue, but both display 3 and 4 are missing "f" if it isnt r47 which I'm checking tonight, what would be the next step to check?

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from h8breed01:

Ok, I have almost the same issue, but both display 3 and 4 are missing "f"

Since its both displays are missing "F" I would check for the signal at the start. J-5 pin 3 on the display board, check it with a logic probe. There should be pulses when the F segment should be on.

#9 5 years ago

Grumpy, thank you for your help. I have pulses when f should be on, and the go off when I cycle through and f should be off.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Since its both displays are missing "F" I would check for the signal at the start. J-5 pin 3 on the display board, check it with a logic probe. There should be pulses when the F segment should be on.

Going through the schematics, I have a pulse at leg 10 on the 4050 chip and a pulse on leg 16 of the 7180 chip, but it reads completely different like a lot faster.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from h8breed01:

I have pulses when f should be on, and the go off when I cycle through and f should be off.

And this is at J-5 pin 3, correct. Then repeat the test but check U-11 pin 10 for pulses when the f segment should be on.

#12 5 years ago

Then you need a new U-9 chip.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Then you need a new U-9 chip.

U-9 or u-15? U15 had the weird output.

Thank you so much for your help grumpy!

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from h8breed01:

but both display 3 and 4 are missing "f"

Since its the lower displays not showing the F segment then it would have to be U-11 or U-9, U-15 would be for the upper displays.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Since its the lower displays not showing the F segment then it would have to be U-11 or U-9, U-15 would be for the upper displays.

As I'm waiting in chips, I ordered new cd4050s, which I'm hoping is the replacement for u9, and a new 7180 chip. I realized I didnt check r47... because I cant find it on the system 11a/b display I have. Looks like the highest spot for a resistor is 35 or 37.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from h8breed01:

I realized I didnt check r47... because I cant find it on the system 11a/b display I have.

Do you have a early or late display board?

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Do you have a early or late display board?

I have the late board

1 week later
#18 5 years ago
Quoted from h8breed01:

I have the late board

And now it's fixed. It was cd4050

#19 5 years ago

Was this U-11?

1 week later
#20 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Was this U-11?

U-9, before the 7180. The chip was fluttering fast and I was learning.

Thank you for all the help, couldn't have done it with out you

#21 5 years ago

I think there is an error in the schematics or there is more then one revision of the display board.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-14-tomcat-player-4-display-missing-f-segments and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.