New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 143743)

F-14 Tomcat , No speech, No music, No Power On Tone

By JPscranton

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by donjagra
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Hi everyone. I just packaged up my system 11 MPU to send to coin op cauldron but before I do I figured I would give it one more try to figure out why I have no sound. Ive got all the proper power supply voltages, including -12VDC & +12VDC. The cabinet speaker ohm'ed at ~6 ohm, and the backbox left speaker about the same, the backbox right tweeter is blown and doesnt give me a reading. It should be noted that I do have speaker hum that gets louder and softer by turning the volume pot. Also the connections from speaker>soundboard and inbetween are correct.

Is there something obvious I could have missed here ? Ive got a decent desoldering station and was hoping to get this board up and running myself but my diagnostic skills arent great. If the background soundboard were working wouldnt I atleast have some sounds ? Im starting to worry that my problem lies on both the MPU & B'ground boards. My B'ground board has proto roms, and the MPU has Rev 1 roms, is there any sort of compatibility issue there ?

#2 4 years ago

I assume that you are not getting the "bong" tone at boot either, which is probably a problem with the background sound board. You really can't troubleshoot this efficiently without an oscilloscope. Just to be certain, have you already tried replacing the data ribbon cable between the MPU and soundboard?

I don't think that the difference in the ROMs will matter. I'm not 100% certain, but that seems unlikely. I would think you would hear something.

1 month later
#3 4 years ago

Did you solve this? I have the same issue on my diner

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

I assume that you are not getting the "bong" tone at boot

My F14 doesnt do that either, but other than that the sound works completely fine...

#5 4 years ago

Pictures of the boards would help.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sale Pending!
Bethlehem, PA
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 9.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside