image.jpg
IMG_0436.JPG
IMG_0437.JPG
IMG_0433.JPG
IMG_0431.JPG
IMG_0430.JPG
IMG_0425.JPG
#1 11 years ago

Hey guys, came across this awesome site and this is my first post on this, so just wanted to say hi and thanks for reading! I really do appreciate any help I may get.

This is my first pinball machine, and it is a beauty! This F 14 Tomcat I got about a 6 months ago, and played quite a bit in the first few months, but an issue with the ramp right has limited my play quite a bit... and than some stuff came up and I never got around to fixing it. But now I have time, and want to clean the whole machine and do some refurbishing on the playfield.

Now, when I first got the machine, I thought to myself "Hey, it is in pretty good condition! Its not perfect at all, but it plays fine, everything seems to work, fine with me!". After looking online, it turns out mine is indeed in pretty rough shape, but like I said, everything seems to be working perfectly, so I am pretty happy! I am indeed an EXTREME newbie to pinballs, and electronic games in general. I played them when I was a kid, but never EVER tried to fix a pinball machine before. So please excuse my ignorance in advance, and be as clear as possible when explaining things to me haha

So my first order of business is to fix the ramp issue. As you can see in some of the pics, the ramp off the start had the left "ring" attached on top of the rail instead of on the outside of the rail like it is on the right side, and it must have broken off during play, and I did not notice it for the longest time (it is so small, hard to notice, especially when inexperienced). So I would plunge the ball, it would hit this divot in the rail, bounce around slightly, lose all its speed and momentum, and would not make it all the way up the ramp. I thought it was an issue with the shooter, and replaced it, but that did nothing.... So this would happen at least 75% of the time, meaning the game would become very frustrating when you were trying to lock a bunch of balls in a row, but couldn't plunge the ball into play. It almost looks like it was soldered or super glued onto the top of the rail, and it works perfectly fine when it is held in place (with the glass off and manually held in place) but it just doesn't work good if the divot is exposed. Has anyone else had this happen before? I am not sure what exactly I should do. I though about super gluing it back into place, but it just seems like a very odd place to have it. Maybe I could fill the divot? But with what? Any ideas what to do?

Secondly, I am thinking about removing the mylar and doing a thorough cleaning/waxing/paint touch ups/clear coating. I am fairly confident in my ability to remove the mylar based on some videos I have seen, clean the playfield, paint any necessary areas (me and my gf love to little crafty stuff like that, she is fairly artistic, so I am not worried about that) and finally, a solid clear coat on top of it all. The only thing i am worried about is taking everything apart and not being able to put it back together, or screwing it up entirely and not having it work anymore. Just looking underneath the machine gives me chills, and I am just not confident that if I remove everything, I will be able to put it all back together and have it working properly.

Now my playfield looks like crap right now, especially the areas not covered by mylar... its got horrible discoloration, worn out in many parts, raised inserts.. the whole nine yards! But like I said, if I got the mylar off, I would be pretty confident in being able to make it look at least half decent.

So, if I am going to go through with this, I am going to need a solid strategy going in, and going to need tons of help and suggestions. I am thinking something like this:

-Start with the biggest/easiest plastics to take off. than anything remaining that isn't connected to the game (flippers, targets, ect)
-This would be the scariest and would need most help with... removing flippers, targets, etc.. anything connected to the game through wires... how do I disconnect these and connect them back? do I just let the wires fall back through the hole and under the table? Whats the best way of tackling this?
-Freeze spray and goo gone the mylar. If this goes smoothly, I will be a happy camper!
-Magic eraser and alcohol to clean the table, hopefully get it looking semi-nice.
-Novus 2 to fix up some scratches, get the table looking good.
-Rubber mallet/piece of wood to get the raised inserts back into place
-Sand the inserts. I saw a few people sand them while still in the play field. I was thinking of doing this, because removing them might be difficult.
-buy and replace all decals on inserts.
-paint whatever is necessary, but I'm not going to go overboard. I want it to look nice, but doesn't have to be perfect.
-Clear coat - another scary part. Is there any way to do this simply? I don't want to half a$$ anything, but I don't need it to be pristine and perfect. This is played at home, won't be over used at all, and it is really just me and my gf playing, so it doesn't have to be bomb proof or anything. I just want a nice coating on top to give it a glossy look, give it a little more speed, and just seal everything up.
-Than put everything back together - easier said than done!

So, am I in way over my head? I think I can do this. I am handy enough to do some basic stuff, and can learn quickly, and I am crafty enough to clean/paint this baby up. It really is just a bit over whelming to start, but I think I can do it

Any and all help is greatly appreciated! Sorry for the ridiculously long post!

IMG_0425.JPGIMG_0425.JPG IMG_0430.JPGIMG_0430.JPG IMG_0431.JPGIMG_0431.JPG

#2 11 years ago

more pics

IMG_0433.JPGIMG_0433.JPG IMG_0437.JPGIMG_0437.JPG IMG_0436.JPGIMG_0436.JPG

#3 11 years ago

Be organized, be more organized than you normally are. Get a digital camera and take pictures of everything from more angles than you think you need. Take more pictures than you think you need, you will get to a point where you wish you had more. Label everything, I take ziplock bags and put all hardware from each section in it, label it throughly, take notes, draw diagrams of how things are connected, and I lay the bags on top of each other in order. Take note of the order of all of the steps you take and when you put everything back do them all in exact reverse order. If you take off a ramp first, you put it back on last. Things stack on top of each other, you will want to do things in order. Take more pictures, did I say take pictures? Consider doing things in sections, like remove all of the slingshot hardware do a deep clean and put it all back. I have never removed the whole underneath of a playfield so good luck with that, I find it too daunting.

I would be hesitant about removing the mylar, I have heard F-14 is one of the worst as far as play field paint and insert paint loss. Also, if you remove that mylar I think you better be prepared to follow through with clearcoating or reapplying mylar, F-14's get beat quick without protection.

I have never clear coated and it seems like something that is better left to people that have a LOT of experience. I have not tried it and don't think I will soon, but hey if you are confident go for it, please report back I would love to hear how its going.

Check this out if you have not yet:
http://www.edcheung.com/album/album09/pinball/f14.htm

#4 11 years ago

Your f-14 mylar looks better then mine did before I removed it. It's a scary process but I thinks was lucky and had almost no paint loss. Beware though cuz ya could loose lots of art work.

Your inserts have the usual ware, you can get decals to fix that.

http://www.edcheung.com/album/album09/pinball/f14.htm I also followed the advice here.

The right wire form ramp is messed. I think the proper fix would be a spot weld to fix it, but you might be able to super glue that back together. I would try 2part epoxi like "j b weld". You can sand it down if it globs on in the wrong place.

My first machine was f-14. It's a great project because there's so much that you can get for them. Search on pinside for f14 there's lots of info here

#5 11 years ago

You could also join www.pinballrevolution.com its a local forum and has many members in the GTA and throughout Ontario.

#6 11 years ago

Thanks for the advice so far. I have looked through tons of forums and stories about doing this kind of thing, and I feel confident I can do it I may mess up once or twice, but if I can improve my game, I will give it a shot!

Luckydogg420 thanks for that link! I will check it out.

#7 11 years ago

Welcome to pinside, soon you will be referring to your self as a pinhead.

Its hard to tell whats going on with the wire form (close up of pic in the shooter lane) It looks like the steal broke off. Is that what happened? If so, you may have a few options. Have it rewelded/ rechromed, find parts from another machine, or you could use Jb Weld and some touch up paint and live with the imperfection. I hate to discourage someone from improving a game, but another option is to sell it and find another. F-14's are fairly common with over 14,000 produced so there may be one you can buy, sell the one you have and spend less money/time in the long run. Unless of course you have a passion to work on a game, then I would say learn all you can and go for it.

Congrats on the game!

#8 11 years ago

the bad part of F14, is that they all look like that. There is no such thing as a nice original F14 playfield. All the inserts flake away, even on NOS. If it doesn't look like that. It will after about 500 plays if it's not clearcoated in first.

I think he has a good starting point. That playfield is better than many i've seen. Easily fixable all around with a little bit of time and love.

#9 11 years ago

Neo makes some great points here. Plus, if you put a lot of work into it and collect others without selling your first, you will always have your first game. Not a lot of us can claim that.

#10 11 years ago

My 2 cents.

Your first pinball machine will always hold a special place in your memory, that joy of getting it home, the first game you play, the first time you get the high score on "my machine". Then it brakes. You learn there's more to these things then just a ball rolling around. After learning how to get it working again you'll realize you can fix this thing up, make it way better then it is now, as good as, or better then new.

Personally I think F-14 is a great first game. There was 14000 made, everyones played one at one time or another. But most of them suck (yours looks in good shape) because the Mylar and inserts raise up making the playfield a gravel road, the ball doesn't roll in a straight line unless its being shot at you. A lot of the negative feedback about this game is either that it has a crappy playfield or easy rules.

Not many players have played on a smooth F-14. even though all of the parts are available many wont refurbish them because of how rough some playfields look. I like the easy rules, anyone can pick it up and have fun, the game is not easy though, there's great risk/reward shots. I bought mine a year ago locally for $800. Now their selling for 1200-1500. I've seen 3 in the last 3 months and if you take the time to level the inserts and repair the Mylar or clearcoat it, then you will have a great game to start your collection. F-14 is a very popular game and is underrated.

I've seen youtube videos with pretty crazy mods. One guy is working on a DMD mod. This game is great for beginners because If you can't spend a lot on a game you might as well get something popular, fun, and easy to upgrade

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from AnthonyM88:

Thanks for the advice so far. I have looked through tons of forums and stories about doing this kind of thing, and I feel confident I can do it I may mess up once or twice, but if I can improve my game, I will give it a shot!
Luckydogg420 thanks for that link! I will check it out.

U will get plenty I help here. Believe me I did. I kinda just did my own thing as far as taking mine apart, but I did use the "lay the parts out as they lay in machine method" haha. If there's anything I can try and help with lemme know. I just got my F-14 back together last night for the 2nd time. Very frustrating and very rewarding to work on something yourself. Be patient and do what peeps say here. I stayed up allll night one night because if my obsession with getting things done. Make sure you take pics like already mentioned. I didn't take enough but was lucky to figure it out.

#12 11 years ago

Here's some of my parts a week ago.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#13 11 years ago

Thank you all for the words of advice so far! I have looked over many forums/stories and I think I can do this! And since I HAVE to fix the ramp issue, I might as well go one step further and clean up the entire playfield.

Tonight I am going to start the process, but just starting slow tonight, starting to take apart some of the big parts, and starting to see if I can handle some more of the little intricate parts. I will be coming on here plenty to ask for some advice/help whenever I need it, and I will be taking TONS of pictures (as per everyones advice), so I will for sure be posting back here to show you guys how it is coming along.

#14 11 years ago

I bought mine for a steal - previous owner had already leveled the inserts but abandoned the project. The trade off was he never finished assembling it. I had bags of parts that were poorly organized, some of the parts didn't even belong with the game. On top of that no photos or docs. It took me the better part of a week to put it back together, mostly from looking at online photos. The net can really be your friend.

If you doc it well and take your time it is definitely worthwhile, I'd say go for it. It is the best pinball light show on the planet.

#15 11 years ago

Alright so I took the plunge this evening, set aside my nerves, and went to work taking apart my beauty It is sad to look at it now, but I just know it will look gorgeous when it is all said and done! Here are a few pics so far. If you guys have any advice on what I should be doing next, please don't hesitate to give me some ideas!

IMG_0654.JPGIMG_0654.JPG IMG_0668.JPGIMG_0668.JPG IMG_0657.JPGIMG_0657.JPG

#16 11 years ago

You removing the mylar? Very interested to see how that goes.

Good luck! I have an F-14 all put together so let me know if you forget where something goes.

#17 11 years ago

Also, are your domes in the back clear? Or just removed?
--nevermind, enlarged the pic, they are removed.

#18 11 years ago

@practicalsteve, the back domes are clear, they are no removed. I will post another picture to show you... and yes I am planning on removing the mylar, possibly tonight! Very exciting and nerve racking moment haha

#19 11 years ago

So for the mylar, I read a lot of different stories and peoples advice, this is the steps I came up with. Do you guys think this is the proper way of tackling it?

-use some gentle lemon based cleaner to get the initial dirt off the table. It is so dirty as of right now, that I just wanted to get it a little cleaner.
-Freeze spray the mylar, and than goo gone the adhesive.
-Magic eraser and alcohol to clean the table of any gunk/dirt.
-Novus 2 to fix up some scratches.

what should I use to clean the ramps, plastics, flippers and targets?

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from AnthonyM88:

what should I use to clean the ramps, plastics, flippers and targets?

Novus 2 for fine scratches, then Novus 1 to do final clean/polish.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

Novus 2 for fine scratches, then Novus 1 to do final clean/polish.

Awesome, thanks!

#22 11 years ago

I would avoid Magic Eraser considering you already have playfield wear and that's pretty abrasive. Maybe if the playfield were in better condition. Also, isopropyl alcohol and flour are much better solutions versus Goo Gone. See this video, the results are amazing.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I would avoid Magic Eraser considering you already have playfield wear and that's pretty abrasive. Maybe if the playfield were in better condition. Also, isopropyl alcohol and flour are much better solutions versus Goo Gone. See this video, the results are amazing.

Yea I saw a similar video like this. Hmmm maybe this is the better and cheaper option. I will probably give this a shot. Thanks for posting this.

#24 11 years ago

And no to the magic eraser? What should I use instead?

#25 11 years ago

I wouldn't be the one to ask, as I don't do playfield restoration. Anyone else care to chime in?

#27 11 years ago

You can try Magic eraser, just try it first in an area that is covered by plastics or generally not visible to see what happens. Don't go too nuts at first, it will remove paint.

For glue removal after mylar removal, I used the orange goo gone spray and flour method on a Black Knight. Spray on the goo gone and let sit for a good ten minutes, then put a heap of flour at the edge of the glue and kinda bulldoze it through the glue.

#28 11 years ago

Patofnaud, thanks for that link. I read through it all.. Some great tips in there, but also plenty of "pro" tips that are clearly out of my league. But even though he warns at the beginning don't just do it for the sake of doing it, and don't half ass it, I am still going to go through with my plan. Although not as thorough as his, I think I can make my play field better than it is now, and that is the ultimate goal here. It isn't to make it perfect, but just make it better. Thanks for the link, I will use some of his advice.

practicalsteve, I am going to do just that. First use the magic eraser and some alcohol on a small hidden area, and see how it reacts. My play field isn't in horrible condition, so I don't think it will ruin anything. Also, I am thinking of using the alcohol + flour method first, because it is cheap and easy to try.

#29 11 years ago

Just a quick update, the mylar came off perfectly! I have only done half so far (because I only bought 1 can of air, D'OH! Needed 2 cans) But honestly, it has come off so perfectly, it is unreal how good this method works.

Than I started cleaning the adhesive, and man this is tough. I tried the alcohol + flour method at first. It works, but takes a lot of finger rubbing, and only works in really small portions at a time. I bought some goo gone, and am trying that right now.

#30 11 years ago

My Mylar also came off well. The glue is terrible. Let the goo gone sit for 10 min before you wipe it off, cover it with Saran Wrap if its evaporating to quickly.

Can't wait to see pics

#31 11 years ago

Luckydogg, do you put a lot of goo gone on? Just pour it on and let it sit? Or do you lightly apply it with a rag or something? And afterwards, do you have to scrub it off with a rag, or should it just come off with an easy wipe?

#32 11 years ago

I had the spray bottle of goo gone. Just a light coat each time, I needed to reapply it 4-5 times. It was a pain, but worth it. I picked up a pack of microfiber rags at Home Depot (20 of $15) to wipe it off. Final cleanup was with novus 2 and 3

#33 11 years ago

thanks for the advice. Did you use a magic eraser at all after the goo gone, or just straight to Novus?

#34 11 years ago

Perhaps just use a plastic razor to speed up the removal process and save your fingertips?

#35 11 years ago

Magic Eraser = sandpaper. It's really only used to remove deep swirl marks off the playfield and not something you use to just clean. Novus 2, then carnuba wax (without cleaners added!), unless your doing tough up, then wax after touch up.

#36 11 years ago

Crash, ya I am doing that tonight. Yesterday was a bit of a test on a smaller area, but I will try with a plastic razor.

Patofnaud, so no to the magic eraser eh? Thanks for the heads up!

#37 11 years ago

Glad it's coming along for ya. Heck I may havta dive into a Mylar removal.

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from Magicmike0:

Glad it's coming along for ya. Heck I may havta dive into a Mylar removal.

Don't get ahead of yourself lol...

If you can post pictures of how well the razor works.

#39 11 years ago

alright well the entire mylar is off. There was a bit of paint that came off, very tiny parts, an some of the inserts too. If anyone is going to try this, I suggest buying like 4 cans of the freeze spray and using a ton of it. I I used almost 3 cans, and it came off much smoother when I would spray it multiple times on the same spot.

I continued to use goo gone, and flour/alcohol on small part. I tried using a credit card for a bit, but I was too scared i would scratch the surface, so I stopped. I continued using rags and my finger, and I must say, this is much harder than I expected. It is going to take a lot of patience to get this all off.

#40 11 years ago

3 cans for 1 playfield? That seems excessive. I can usually get 3 playfields out of one can. For the glue, use plastic razor blades or a guitar pick (thicker style) Works great. Scrape and pile it all up in the center and pick it up with a paper towel.

#41 11 years ago

Well considering this I have to say if I had to, I could probably do a Mylar removal using the freeze spray method.

#42 11 years ago

Yea I used 2.5 cans of it. They were only 6oz cans, and I used A LOT... just to be safe haha

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-14-tomcat-newbie-cleaning-and-refurb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.