(Topic ID: 259725)

F-14 Tomcat Mysterious High Power Failure

By Theguyoverthere

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I got this F-14 Tomcat that came with a blown fuse (the 4A slow blow in the backbox that appears to be responsible for high power). It blew again after replacing it, of course. The first thing I did was rebuild all 4 flippers, I noticed on the upper right flipper the big yellow cylinder thing (capacitor?) was disconnected. I reconnected that, and now the fuse no longer blows.

However, now there is very strange behavior. The game will act fine for a while, but then at some point the flippers die, and plunging in to the lock ends the ball. Sometimes power cycling fixes it, some times manually removing balls from the lock fixes it, but some times it gets stuck in this state for a while. The only clue I have is that, as I said, when the flippers are dead, delivering the ball in to a lock goes to End of Ball Bonus. Very mysterious.

What sort of things should I be checking? Could this be the fault of a bad transistor doing all sorts of wonky things? Bad diodes somewhere? Where should I start?

#2 4 years ago

I had a similar ball lock problem with F-14 a few years back and used practicalsteve's suggestion in this thread to fix it:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-14-multiball-game-ender-strange-bug

As for your fuse blowing, maybe the disconnected end of the capacitor was touching the flipper assembly metal base plate and causing a short?

#3 4 years ago

Hmm interesting... which board is this on? If I can borrow a board from someone's game, which one should I swap out?

#4 4 years ago

The MPU board - the big one.

#5 4 years ago

I swapped the MPU with a working one and the problem persists. Must be in the playfield, or bad ROM chip.
If it's a playfield issue, should I look for bad diodes? Capacitors? General badness?

#6 4 years ago

I found out the outhole kicker is locked on (started smelling...) and sometimes the flasher #1 goes very very bright. Investigating D1 and D9 on diode board now... Could it be possible the entire Solenoid 14 relay is messing up? That switches between the A solenoids and the C solenoids?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-14-tomcat-mysterious-high-power-failure and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.