• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by RonSS
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

Hi All,

So this is my first SS machine I've had it for a week and fixed a few issues but i'm mostly used to EM's

The Problem:
Machine works and is playable. When playing the game, the left flipper works but sometimes will also do a Yagov kill.
When some balls are locked, one or two will randomly launch without having achieved the 4 ball lock (but works when all 4 are locked and launches whatever balls are left locked).
On the very random occasion the machine will tilt when the ball is in the upper playfield. Has happened 3 times in about 40 games and I don't bump the machine.

Troubleshooting done:
I've gone into the switch diagnostic and pressing multiple times the flipper only shows the flipper and EOS switched being enabled.
Shaking/banging the machine does nothing (maybe didn't bang hard enough)

I've watched videos on understanding the switch matrix but unsure where to go from there.

#2 1 year ago

Check to see if you have any diodes broken or touching a center lug on the micro switches. For leaf switches, ensure that the two matrix wires are not connected by the diode as the diode should only be on one of them (hope that makes sense) if it’s intermittent I’m betting you have a diode very close to touching a part it shouldn’t and during specific movements are causing a momentary short

#3 1 year ago

I had the same thing happening to me and it took forever to find. Turned out to be a broken wire on the Yagov kicker coil. It’s a pain to get to, but has been problem free since.

#4 1 year ago

I had a similar problem with a different pin. One of the pops had a loose wire.

I found the issue easier to find in the service position. Start a game/diagnostic playfield up with door open (usually cuts killing voltage) and start moving the harness around. You may be able to narrow down the wire.

Also what color wire is common to flipper and Yag?

Good luck.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

Check to see if you have any diodes broken or touching a center lug on the micro switches. For leaf switches, ensure that the two matrix wires are not connected by the diode as the diode should only be on one of them (hope that makes sense) if it’s intermittent I’m betting you have a diode very close to touching a part it shouldn’t and during specific movements are causing a momentary short

I checked and nothing seems to be broken or touching or even close for that matter. I banged and shook the machine really hard this time and it wasn't doing anything. But I have noticed that the Yagov coil fires sometimes when it actually does a "kill" and will also randomly gives 10 points when using the left flipper (but not related to the yagov kill)

Quoted from ShaunF:

I had the same thing happening to me and it took forever to find. Turned out to be a broken wire on the Yagov kicker coil. It’s a pain to get to, but has been problem free since.

I managed to get to the coil, everything is solid and soldered correctly

Quoted from RonSS:

I had a similar problem with a different pin. One of the pops had a loose wire.
I found the issue easier to find in the service position. Start a game/diagnostic playfield up with door open (usually cuts killing voltage) and start moving the harness around. You may be able to narrow down the wire.
Also what color wire is common to flipper and Yag?
Good luck.

So I tried that, wiggled every part and wire, got electrocuted a bit in the process when touching a flipper coil haha, but nothing was registering in the switches. As for the common wire, they're all different colors between both lower, upper and yag coil...

Do I assume there's a diode somewhere that it just bad?

#6 1 year ago

make sure you push on every coil diode. Front and back. Sometimes they look good, and just crumble apart with a little pressure. I had 4 diodes do that on the same game one time.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from NickNitro:

I checked and nothing seems to be broken or touching or even close for that matter. I banged and shook the machine really hard this time and it wasn't doing anything. But I have noticed that the Yagov coil fires sometimes when it actually does a "kill" and will also randomly gives 10 points when using the left flipper (but not related to the yagov kill)

I managed to get to the coil, everything is solid and soldered correctly

So I tried that, wiggled every part and wire, got electrocuted a bit in the process when touching a flipper coil haha, but nothing was registering in the switches. As for the common wire, they're all different colors between both lower, upper and yag coil...
Do I assume there's a diode somewhere that it just bad?

A small jolt is good for your system!

Bummer no common color. That really helped me.

Sorry.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-14-tomcat-left-flipper-does-more-than-flip and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.