F-14 Tomcat Jet Bumper isn't very sensative

By Bok013

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

It works but sometimes that ball just rolls off of it without bumping off. Do I need to buy an entire assembly or is there just a certain part I can buy to make it react more? Thanks!

#2 11 years ago

Try adjusting it first.

Power off.

Clean the points. Be sure the plastic rod coming down from the skirt that rests in the spoon is clean, cot worn, and centered.

Now comes the tweaking work. The spoon should just be resting on the rod not pushing it. The point below that should be close enough so the slightest ball hit triggers it, yet vibration doesn't set it off.

A few tries, a little practice at it, and you'll get the hang of it.

LTG : )

#3 11 years ago

Awesome LTG. I am going to try it tomorrow. I am up way to late looking at parts and sleepy eyed to be messing with it tonight. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks!

#5 11 years ago

If you don't have one of these you need to get one for adjusting these types of switches. Not required but will make life easier

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1518

2 weeks later
#6 11 years ago

Wow, I have checked vid's forums but I totally missed that one. That guy is a beast. Great Info! Thanks. I am going to pick up that tool also. Looks like it will need it in the future anyway. Thanks fellas!

#7 11 years ago

mine is sensitive but not strong,what can i do?if i change the coil ,it can help?my voltage is correct. thanks!

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from pinballfan:

mine is sensitive but not strong,what can i do?if i change the coil ,it can help?my voltage is correct. thanks!

If plunger and coil sleeve are good, you could try a different coil.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from pinballfan:

A stronger coil will help, but first check does the ring move up and down freely, with no hangups or stickiness?

-the beast.

#10 11 years ago

my ring is ok.when i look some f14 on youtube i notice all pop bumper look weak like mine.maybe f14 is made like that?if i change my coil for stronger what model is most powerful? my coil is 23-800(-3). thank you!!

#11 11 years ago

F-14's pop bumper seems weaker than other games because it's alone, out in the open. Put three of those in an enclosed space and it's a different story.

#12 11 years ago

maybe ,but when i compare the power with my bally atlantis i see a good difference when i shoot manualy the ball on it,maybe thf14 is like that...thanks!

#13 11 years ago

I never met an F-14 with a strong pop bumper!

#14 11 years ago

My f-14 pop bumper is weak too.... And I even replaced my capacitor... still weak. Weak by design, I figure....

#15 11 years ago

The original design had a slingshot just above the pop bumper.

So if you think it's a crazy game now, imagine how SR wanted it!

#16 11 years ago

If the pop bumper is clean, clear and functioning normally -- maybe try some fresh rubbers on the opposing walls? Very sure that by design, the pop bumper is supposed to be playing pong with that upper-inner wall.

#17 11 years ago

if that pop bumper was stronger maybe a game was to easy,to much target hit in this area...

#18 11 years ago

I unwound 100 or so off my pop coil.. that fixed it!

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Try adjusting it first.

Power off.

Clean the points. Be sure the plastic rod coming down from the skirt that rests in the spoon is clean, cot worn, and centered.

Now comes the tweaking work. The spoon should just be resting on the rod not pushing it. The point below that should be close enough so the slightest ball hit triggers it, yet vibration doesn't set it off.

A few tries, a little practice at it, and you'll get the hang of it.

the stuff that Makes pinside cool. thanks

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-14-tomcat-jet-bumper-isnt-very-sensative and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.