New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 134049)

F 14 Tomcat Issue help needed!

By athenspin

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Mrjamma
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

My F 14 boots properly and goes into attract mode, when I push the start button all four kicker solenoids fire, but the game won't start. I switched out the mpu with a spare but the issue remains. I'm not sure where to start, any help would be greatly appreciated!

#2 5 years ago

Do you mean that the solenoids fire and stay locked on, or is it doing a ball search sequentially?

Can you get into diagnostic mode through the coin door switches?

#3 5 years ago

Sounds like it is doing a ball search. Make sure you have all 4 balls installed. Check in the switch test if all the switches in the ball through register correctly.

#4 5 years ago

The game is doing a ball search sequentially. All 4 balls are installed in the game. Due to the fact that I tried a for sure 100% working spare mpu, I'm thinking it is most likely 1 of the 4 switches in the ball trough not registering. Ill try the switch test this evening, unfortunately my top right display is gassed out. Thank you fellas very much for the help! I'll report back progress.

#5 5 years ago

Start with no balls, then drop one in at a time and make sure each switch registers.

Don't use your finger, only your balls.

1 week later
#6 5 years ago

Ok, I have little to no experience with doing a switch tests but when I get into what I believe is a switch test my display makes pulse noises as it reads
L Ball 05 14
LC Ball 05 13
Rc Ball 05 12
Upper 05 32
I'm not sure what this means or if this is the switch test? Any help is greatly appreciated.

#7 5 years ago

Download the manual here:
http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/804/Williams_1987_F_14_Tomcat_Full_Manual.pdf

Switch test switch numbers are listed in the Switch Matrix Chart

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Atlantic City, NJ
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Sale Pending!
Bethlehem, PA
Machine - For Sale
Suffield, CT
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside