(Topic ID: 300481)

F-14 Tomcat - Is it worth it? EDIT: Bought a HIGH SPEED instead!

By Greenfun13

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 133 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Knxwledge
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20210930-201149_OfferUp.jpg
Screenshot_20210930-201144_OfferUp.jpg
IMG_20210926_171151.jpg
IMG_20210926_085212 (resized).jpg
image_2021-09-24_235729.png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1745 (resized).JPG
IMG_20210921_053055~2.jpg
IMG_20210920_052949~2 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210920_052949~2 (resized).jpg
Capture.PNG
BB 8 (resized).jpg
BB 9 (resized).jpg
BB 7 (resized).jpg
BB 6 (resized).jpg
BB 5 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bellagio.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#101 2 years ago
Quoted from Greenfun13:

I sure did!
I will start by saying the cabinet looks MUCH better in person. When the seller originally picked it up the cabinet was in rough shape. Instead of attempting to find a stencil and repaint the whole thing, he touched up the side lettering on the "HIGH SPEED" but left everything else alone. He then sanded, stained and clear coated it leaving a glossy finish. It is totally smooth to the touch. It has a "vintage" look and is definitely not for everyone, but shockingly my girlfriend actually really likes the way it looks, go figure. I think I still might do a light sanding and have her repaint what she can (she is seriously an artist with a paintbrush).
I can own the fact that I am most likely the least experienced one on this thread, but I can tell you that the seller was a total pinhead and very much cares for his machines (and other arcade games in his collection). This was not a flip job.

Agreed on the LEDs.. I don't mind ALL of them, and appreciate the reduced electrical draw on the original circuitry, but I definitely want to change some of them back to incandescent bulbs, or at least warm white LEDs. Also, some of the flashers are WAY to bright when in multi ball. I am still assessing how I feel about the shift knob shooter rod, I very well might change it back to a standard one.
The clear ramp also doesn't bother me, but I think it would look a WHOLE lot better with the decal mod:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-freeplay40-ramp-road-decal-set
The wrinkle charcoal grey powder coating on the lock bar, side rails, legs, and coin door do not bother me over the original offerings. I guess I am a fan of the "restomod" theme.
All in all, I am happy with my purchase, and super happy to have my first pin! I probably could have found a better deal by waiting, but considering I only have room for one pin, MAYBE two, I am rather picky about which games I want and opted for instant gratification with this High Speed.

Good choice! I think HS is probably about the best starter pin I can think of.

It has a fun, simple ruleset so it’s very approachable to family/guests. It has a fair amount of mechs and electronics, but is not overly complicated. You’ll have to fix things at some point and that’ll give you the opportunity to learn a lot of the maintenance/repair basics that you’ll need down the road. Good luck!

#108 2 years ago
Quoted from Greenfun13:

Neither do I.. The glass will be coming off when I get home from work today and I will see what I can do about it.
Also, I think I should start a new thread considering this was about a F-14 I was interested in buying and now that I ended up with a High Speed, it may be misleading to others going forward.

Yeah you’re going to need to pull the ramp and figure out what went wrong during the previous owner’s jacked up installation.

You can always post in the HS club too, lots of great info there:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-club-dispatch-this-is-504-we-have-a-club-now-over

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bellagio.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-14-tomcat-is-it-worth-it?tu=bellagio and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.