(Topic ID: 300481)

F-14 Tomcat - Is it worth it? EDIT: Bought a HIGH SPEED instead!

By Greenfun13

37 days ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 133 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 23 days ago by Knxwledge
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20210930-201149_OfferUp.jpg
Screenshot_20210930-201144_OfferUp.jpg
IMG_20210926_171151.jpg
IMG_20210926_085212 (resized).jpg
image_2021-09-24_235729.png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1745 (resized).JPG
IMG_20210921_053055~2.jpg
IMG_20210920_052949~2 (resized).jpg
Capture.PNG
BB 8 (resized).jpg
BB 9 (resized).jpg
BB 7 (resized).jpg
BB 6 (resized).jpg
BB 5 (resized).jpg

There are 133 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 33 days ago
Quoted from Greenfun13:

I sure did!
I will start by saying the cabinet looks MUCH better in person. When the seller originally picked it up the cabinet was in rough shape. Instead of attempting to find a stencil and repaint the whole thing, he touched up the side lettering on the "HIGH SPEED" but left everything else alone. He then sanded, stained and clear coated it leaving a glossy finish. It is totally smooth to the touch. It has a "vintage" look and is definitely not for everyone, but shockingly my girlfriend actually really likes the way it looks, go figure. I think I still might do a light sanding and have her repaint what she can (she is seriously an artist with a paintbrush).
I can own the fact that I am most likely the least experienced one on this thread, but I can tell you that the seller was a total pinhead and very much cares for his machines (and other arcade games in his collection). This was not a flip job.

Agreed on the LEDs.. I don't mind ALL of them, and appreciate the reduced electrical draw on the original circuitry, but I definitely want to change some of them back to incandescent bulbs, or at least warm white LEDs. Also, some of the flashers are WAY to bright when in multi ball. I am still assessing how I feel about the shift knob shooter rod, I very well might change it back to a standard one.
The clear ramp also doesn't bother me, but I think it would look a WHOLE lot better with the decal mod:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-freeplay40-ramp-road-decal-set
The wrinkle charcoal grey powder coating on the lock bar, side rails, legs, and coin door do not bother me over the original offerings. I guess I am a fan of the "restomod" theme.
All in all, I am happy with my purchase, and super happy to have my first pin! I probably could have found a better deal by waiting, but considering I only have room for one pin, MAYBE two, I am rather picky about which games I want and opted for instant gratification with this High Speed.

Good choice! I think HS is probably about the best starter pin I can think of.

It has a fun, simple ruleset so it’s very approachable to family/guests. It has a fair amount of mechs and electronics, but is not overly complicated. You’ll have to fix things at some point and that’ll give you the opportunity to learn a lot of the maintenance/repair basics that you’ll need down the road. Good luck!

#102 33 days ago
Quoted from Greenfun13:

I sure did!
I will start by saying the cabinet looks MUCH better in person. When the seller originally picked it up the cabinet was in rough shape. Instead of attempting to find a stencil and repaint the whole thing, he touched up the side lettering on the "HIGH SPEED" but left everything else alone. He then sanded, stained and clear coated it leaving a glossy finish. It is totally smooth to the touch. It has a "vintage" look and is definitely not for everyone, but shockingly my girlfriend actually really likes the way it looks, go figure. I think I still might do a light sanding and have her repaint what she can (she is seriously an artist with a paintbrush).
I can own the fact that I am most likely the least experienced one on this thread, but I can tell you that the seller was a total pinhead and very much cares for his machines (and other arcade games in his collection). This was not a flip job.

Agreed on the LEDs.. I don't mind ALL of them, and appreciate the reduced electrical draw on the original circuitry, but I definitely want to change some of them back to incandescent bulbs, or at least warm white LEDs. Also, some of the flashers are WAY to bright when in multi ball. I am still assessing how I feel about the shift knob shooter rod, I very well might change it back to a standard one.
The clear ramp also doesn't bother me, but I think it would look a WHOLE lot better with the decal mod:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-freeplay40-ramp-road-decal-set
The wrinkle charcoal grey powder coating on the lock bar, side rails, legs, and coin door do not bother me over the original offerings. I guess I am a fan of the "restomod" theme.
All in all, I am happy with my purchase, and super happy to have my first pin! I probably could have found a better deal by waiting, but considering I only have room for one pin, MAYBE two, I am rather picky about which games I want and opted for instant gratification with this High Speed.

Congrats on the nice pick up! Its nice to see a rookie pinhead in the making with good taste too. The Mr tantrum decals look really good and hes a great guy to deal with. I've bought several items off him myself. For the LED's I would suggest not going back to incandescent bulbs but do the other thing you were saying and switch to warm white or daylight color. I recommend picking up 50-100 pack at comet pinball. Even if you don't use them all its nice to have spares. Change out anything that isn't lighting a playfield insert to regular white and ditch the colors all together. The LED flashers can certainly be overwhelming like you said, depending on which ones they are you could switch to a less powerful LED one or it would be ok to go back to incandescent on those.

#103 33 days ago

Congrats I am so jealous that you guys have these kind of options. Projects are so hard to find in my neck of the woods especially with all the price hysteria.

#104 33 days ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Congrats on the nice pick up! Its nice to see a rookie pinhead in the making with good taste too. The Mr tantrum decals look really good and hes a great guy to deal with. I've bought several items off him myself. For the LED's I would suggest not going back to incandescent bulbs but do the other thing you were saying and switch to warm white or daylight color. I recommend picking up 50-100 pack at comet pinball. Even if you don't use them all its nice to have spares. Change out anything that isn't lighting a playfield insert to regular white and ditch the colors all together. The LED flashers can certainly be overwhelming like you said, depending on which ones they are you could switch to a less powerful LED one or it would be ok to go back to incandescent on those.

I just sent the payment for the Mr. Tantrum decals, so that should be cool! When I got the pin home last night, I quickly eyeball leveled it (i'll set it up properly when I get home today) and started to get some play time in. I noticed that when going up the ramp the ball would sometimes bounce up like it was hitting something.. it looks like the PO (previous owner) either had some issues with the Freeplay40 ramp entrance sitting flush with the PF and used (im assuming) mylar squares to try and hold it down. I will note that it did not have this problem when I played it at the sellers house, so I'm thinking it might have to do with the leveling? Any suggestions on how to correct this?

When I get home from work I plan on figuring out what flashers are currently installed and try to figure out which ones I will need to order.

#105 33 days ago
Quoted from Greenfun13:

I just sent the payment for the Mr. Tantrum decals, so that should be cool! When I got the pin home last night, I quickly eyeball leveled it (i'll set it up properly when I get home today) and started to get some play time in. I noticed that when going up the ramp the ball would sometimes bounce up like it was hitting something.. it looks like the PO (previous owner) either had some issues with the Freeplay40 ramp entrance sitting flush with the PF and used (im assuming) mylar squares to try and hold it down. I will note that it did not have this problem when I played it at the sellers house, so I'm thinking it might have to do with the leveling? Any suggestions on how to correct this?
[quoted image]
When I get home from work I plan on figuring out what flashers are currently installed and try to figure out which ones I will need to order.

Yikes, I don't like those screws with washers. I would ask maybe in the f14 owners thread or reach out to freeplay40 himself. I'm sure theres a way where you can patch that up a little better

#106 33 days ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Yikes, I don't like those screws with washers. I would ask maybe in the f14 owners thread or reach out to freeplay40 himself. I'm sure theres a way where you can patch that up a little better

Neither do I.. The glass will be coming off when I get home from work today and I will see what I can do about it.

Also, I think I should start a new thread considering this was about a F-14 I was interested in buying and now that I ended up with a High Speed, it may be misleading to others going forward.

#107 33 days ago

Let's get this "back on topic". F-14 is now listed at $1200 OBO. His wishy-washy, condescending attitude and clearly checkered past must be making this sale hard because if this were posted by anyone else it woulda been gone by now.

AN EXTREMELY GOOD CONDITION PIN BALL GAME MACHINE.WORKS EXCELLENT, JUST HAVE NO ROOM FOR IT ANY MORE.AS YOU CAN TELL FROM THE OTHER PICTURES POSTED A BRAND NEW ONE GOES FOR $4,295.THATS ALOT FOR A BRAND NEW PIN BALL MACHINE.ONLY ASKING FOR $1,200.NEGITIONS ACCEPTED ALSO.

https://offerup.com/item/detail/1274506842

#108 33 days ago
Quoted from Greenfun13:

Neither do I.. The glass will be coming off when I get home from work today and I will see what I can do about it.
Also, I think I should start a new thread considering this was about a F-14 I was interested in buying and now that I ended up with a High Speed, it may be misleading to others going forward.

Yeah you’re going to need to pull the ramp and figure out what went wrong during the previous owner’s jacked up installation.

You can always post in the HS club too, lots of great info there:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-club-dispatch-this-is-504-we-have-a-club-now-over

#109 33 days ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

Let's get this "back on topic". F-14 is now listed at $1200 OBO. His wishy-washy, condescending attitude and clearly checkered past must be making this sale hard because if this were posted by anyone else it woulda been gone by now.

https://offerup.com/item/detail/1274506842

He messaged me again and said I could have it for $1000 like I originally offered. Almost feel like saying I'll take it off his hands for $600 and see what he says. Although I might be scared to go and pick it up! hahaha

#110 33 days ago
Quoted from Greenfun13:

He messaged me again and said I could have it for $1000 like I originally offered. Almost feel like saying I'll take it off his hands for $600 and see what he says. Although I might be scared to go and pick it up! hahaha

I like to think that the idea of prison as rehabilitation yet I still have that same instinctual gut-level fear of interacting with this guy lol. A bit hypocritical of me... something I will think about. It's funny how we kinda come back to my original post suggesting a $700 offer. If you want it I would do it and see what he says

#111 33 days ago
Quoted from Greenfun13:

I think it's time to cut that joker loose and stop talking to him.

He had a chance, got greedy, and now he's stuck with the POS.

You don't need that game and you don't need to piss him off by offering the $600 it's worth.

(though if you are really glutton for punishment tell him you miscommunicated with your dad and all you can offer is $600 now)

#112 33 days ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

(though if you are really glutton for punishment tell him you miscommunicated with your dad and all you can offer is $600 now)

Now THAT is what I would do. Love doing shit like that

#113 33 days ago
Quoted from Greenfun13:

Ehhh....even as an experienced buyer, I'd probably avoid and cut contact with this seller. If there's any question about walking into an unsafe situation, it's not worth it to me.

#114 33 days ago

Break off contact, block the number.

#115 33 days ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Hahhah! that is hilarious!

I have no intentions of making any additional communication with him, I did not even respond to his last two messages.

#116 33 days ago

I would have no issue going and picking up this game. I would leave the cash in my locked car until I saw the game and made the deal. Over the years I’ve been to some pretty sketchy places and have gotten some great deals with no issues. Just because someone is different or not polished doesn’t
mean you can’t deal with them.

#117 33 days ago
Quoted from Pintopia:

I would have no issue going and picking up this game. I would leave the cash in my locked car until I saw the game and made the deal. Over the years I’ve been to some pretty sketchy places and have gotten some great deals with no issues. Just because someone is different or not polished doesn’t
mean you can’t deal with them.

I would agree with you on that. But at this point I don't think the OP needs another game, certainly not a project.

I think the real issue is obviously plenty of folks have passed on this game at $1000 or whatever the hell the guy is asking for this day. It's probably a real piece of crap.

Decent projects of any non-EM game don't just sit around any more at low prices. There were dudes declaring this game was already sold early on in this thread, and that the OP was insane for taking so long to consider it.

#118 32 days ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I would agree with you on that. But at this point I don't think the OP needs another game, certainly not a project.
I think the real issue is obviously plenty of folks have passed on this game at $1000 or whatever the hell the guy is asking for this day. It's probably a real piece of crap.
Decent projects of any non-EM game don't just sit around any more at low prices. There were dudes declaring this game was already sold early on in this thread, and that the OP was insane for taking so long to consider it.

I agree with you that I probably do not need a project of this caliber, but I am starting to understand the addiction of collecting pins. I have owned my first pin for less than 48 hours, and yet, I still have the urge to find anther one. Oh man.. What would look good sitting next to my HS?

Also, I decided that the LEDs that are installed on my HS are WAY too bright and far to 'modern' looking for me, especially the flashers... Shocked I haven't had a seizure yet. I just placed an order for a bunch of warm white LEDs through Comet and I think I will be MUCH happier.

Lastly, I was able to remedy the ramp issue I was having. I used some canned air upside down to help remove the mylar squares covering the PO's interesting screw/washer selection on the ramp entrance. I tried a screw with a slightly larger head but it was causing the ramp entrance to slightly warp/buckle, which is why I think the PO used the mylar squares to try and hold it down... I found that it sat much more flush with the screws omitted entirely. The gameplay is much improved and does not seem to affect anything without them installed.

Before and after pictures:
IMG_20210920_052949~2 (resized).jpgIMG_20210921_053055~2.jpg

#119 32 days ago

You need to screw that ramp down, the ball will put incredible force on it. If it is not secured its going to have problems. Typically the head of the screw is slightly smaller than the hole on the ramp flap so it pulls on the plastic ramp not the flap. Just find the proper screw.

#120 32 days ago
Quoted from Darscot:

You need to screw that ramp down, the ball will put incredible force on it. If it is not secured its going to have problems. Typically the head of the screw is slightly smaller than the whole on the ramp flap so it pulls on the plastic ramp not the flap. Just find the proper screw.

This is from Freeplay40:

"Sounds like there is something under the ramp or the leading edge of the plastic on the ramp is not fitting down into the playfield inset. I of course have a ramp on my High Speed and I installed mine without hold down screws and no holes in the ramp for hold down screws."

I am going to check if there are any debris under the ramp like he said there might be. Otherwise I don't think I am too worried about running it with no screws if the man that made the ramp doesn't have any installed.

#121 32 days ago

Mine has gone close to 6 years without hold down screws. Whenever putting hold down screws in, you never want to torque them down too tight....just snug.

IMG_1745 (resized).JPG
#122 32 days ago

The sitting position of the ramp entrance is mostly driven by the two screws that attach the large left bracket. Looking closely at your photos, it appears the leading edge of the plastic at the ramp entrance might be fitting too tight or even not allowing the ramp to sit down into the playfield inset. This would certainly cause you issues. If that is the case, you can remove the ramp and use a Dremel sanding drum and sand back that leading edge....easy to do from the underside while holding the flap out of the way.

#123 29 days ago

I went to find the listing on Offerup where I had it saved and it wasn't showing up. I came back here where I had posted the link and turns out his account got deactived. Wonder what happened...
image_2021-09-24_235729.png

#124 28 days ago
Quoted from Greenfun13:

I don't think I am too worried about running it with no screws if the man that made the ramp doesn't have any installed.

Your ramp is designed for screws. They are wood screws with countersunk heads sized to fit through the metal flap and secure the plastic ramp to the wood playfield. There is a cutout on the playfield designed for the ramp entrance to sit. When properly secured there will be almost no movement of the metal flap against the playfield.

If you omit the screws the ramp entrance can move more, potentially scratching the playfield where the flap meets the playfield. If you have the ramp secure enough from other mounting points this will never be an issue.

It's your game, do as you please. Just try and understand the benefits and pitfalls of whatever changes you're thinking about.

#125 28 days ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

I went to find the listing on Offerup where I had it saved and it wasn't showing up. I came back here where I had posted the link and turns out his account got deactived. Wonder what happened...
[quoted image]

Like I alluded to in an earlier post… Nothing good.

#126 26 days ago

Just a little update on my High Speed:

Received my ramp decals from Mr_Tantrum and new warm white LEDs from Comet.

I removed the ramp and pretty much everything else on the playfield to gain access to the existing LEDs and also to make cleaning and waxing everything that much easier.

Way too many hours later, the ramp decals were installed, LEDs were changed out and the playfield was cleaned and waxed. Also, there was some sort of glue residue underneath the ramp entrance. Got that cleaned up and it sits much more flush on the playfield. I am much happier with the new LEDs and it actually makes the game easier and more enjoyable to play.

Before:
IMG_20210926_085212 (resized).jpg

After:
IMG_20210926_171151.jpg

#127 26 days ago

You're the rare new-to-pinball owner that reversed a color-bombed playfield rather than embraced it. Good work, it looks a lot better.

#128 26 days ago
Quoted from roffels:

You're the rare new-to-pinball owner that reversed a color-bombed playfield rather than embraced it. Good work, it looks a lot better.

I appreciate the kind words! I have nothing against LEDs, they are far more efficient and easier on our circuitry, but man, you can easily ruin the charm of these classic pins with the wrongs ones. To be honest, I wish the ones I installed were a little more dim.. There is something about the glow of an incandescent bulb that can't be beat!

#129 26 days ago
Quoted from Greenfun13:

I appreciate the kind words! I have nothing against LEDs, they are far more efficient and easier on our circuitry, but man, you can easily ruin the charm of these classic pins with the wrongs ones. To be honest, I wish the ones I installed were a little more dim.. There is something about the glow of an incandescent bulb that can't be beat!

I haven't tried these, but Comet does have a lower-brightness retro bulb that might meet your needs.
https://www.cometpinball.com/products/retro-smd-bulbs

#130 26 days ago
Quoted from roffels:

I haven't tried these, but Comet does have a lower-brightness retro bulb that might meet your needs.
https://www.cometpinball.com/products/retro-smd-bulbs

Yeah, I saw those and I know they aren't that expensive, but I don't want to pay for another set of bulbs right now. The warm white ones are much better than the color bomb special I replaced. I need to start saving my money for my second pin!! I wish I would have gotten into this hobby before prices started going through the roof..

#131 26 days ago
Quoted from Greenfun13:

I wish I would have gotten into this hobby before prices started going through the roof..

Haha yep - funny thing tho, people been saying that for years now. But the prices just keep going up and up.

#132 26 days ago

What a great change that made with the LED swap.

#133 23 days ago

It's back on Offerup, this time under a different account madr Apr 2021
https://offerup.co/TwYjtZtpZjb
Screenshot_20210930-201144_OfferUp.jpg
Screenshot_20210930-201149_OfferUp.jpg

There are 133 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside