5ae34aa0d237c4f097294658340732a012fc5bb9 (resized).jpg
system 11 ps (resized).jpg
IMG_20180409_225716 (resized).jpg
inkochnito voltage readings (resized).png
20180314_211515 (resized).jpg
20180310_080021 (resized).jpg
Test point results (resized).png
#1 6 years ago

Hi all, after months of flawless play (thanks to GRUMPY and others) I've recently run into an issue with my #F-14 Tomcat. The game began to reset, frequently enough that you couldn't play a game. I knew this day was coming; all the caps and bridge rectifiers are original on the system power supply board. To prepare for this, I purchased an Xpin XP-WMS8345 Rev D, so that I could still play the machine while I fixed the original board. I also purchased the Inkochnito board as recommended in the System 11 Bulletproofing threads.

I installed both the power supply board and the inkochnito board without issue. When I powered on the machine, the system initializes without error. The lights and sounds work, but you cannot start a game.

Tested:
•All fuses (back box and playfield)
•In coil test only the following coils activate:
o Flasher 9
o Flasher 10
o Upper diverter
o Lower diverter
•In switch level test:
o Flippers work
o Credit button works
o Slingshots don't register
o Pop bumper doesn't register
o All other switches work
•In edge test:
o Same as above

No errors reported in these test modes.

The Xpin power supply has diagnostic LEDs and test points. I've attached those results.

Test point results (resized).pngTest point results (resized).png

20180310_080021 (resized).jpg20180310_080021 (resized).jpg

20180314_211515 (resized).jpg20180314_211515 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

I also checked the Inkochnito pins; in attract mode, they were all measuring high.

inkochnito voltage readings (resized).pnginkochnito voltage readings (resized).png

#3 6 years ago

Did you add credits? I've seen reset problems knock the memory settings out a mpu (even though the batteries were fine) restoring it to factory.

#4 6 years ago

Great idea, unfortunately, I just loaded it up with credits, and it still doesn't respond to the start button. Start button reads just fine in the switch test. Thank you for the suggestion though.

#5 6 years ago

Just a shot in the dark... Is there anything on the playfield that needs to be in a "ready" state before you can start a game?
On my Pinbot I could not start a game when the visor motor was malfunctioning and would not open or close completely. I would press the start button and no response and no real indication that this was the problem.

#6 6 years ago

Do you have a LED display? With -16 volts when you should have -91 volts I would think plasma displays are not working.

#7 6 years ago

Do you have 4 balls in the game?

#8 6 years ago

Grumpy, you solved step one. Doh.

Quoted from GRUMPY:

Do you have a LED display? With -16 volts when you should have -91 volts I would think plasma displays are not working.

I should have mentioned this. I have the LED display, very good point. With the old power board, I removed the F1 fuse after installing the LED display. Is -16v in the ballpark for the LED display?

Quoted from GRUMPY:

Do you have 4 balls in the game?

No, but I couldn't add them, because none of the solenoids are firing (other than the two listed above during test mode). So, I just manually added the four balls by pushing them up towards the trough. The game now responds to the start button, but will not load a ball to the launcher. The flippers are working. I think this means I've got an issue on the Inkochnito board side of things. I'll have to get the input and output voltages there (I only listed the output above).

Note:
In attract mode, all the lights are on, the sound is working, but the lights do not change. Normally, the backglass LEDs flash, and there is a light show on the playfield. Right now, everything is just on.

#9 6 years ago

I think you need to recheck the orange, purple and black wires on the output connectors on the new bridge board.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

I think you need to recheck the orange, purple and black wires on the output connectors on the new bridge board.

Ok, I may need some help there. I'm colorblind. I've taken another photo, that I thought matched Inkochnito's instructions for the same game, posted here:
http://home.kpn.nl/p.koch3/Tomcat_Proto_1.jpg
http://home.kpn.nl/p.koch3/Tomcat_Proto_3.jpg

IMG_20180409_225716 (resized).jpgIMG_20180409_225716 (resized).jpg

#11 6 years ago

It looks like it is wired correctly, but the x pin test readings show nothing coming out of in inkochnito board. But readings on inkochnito show it is working, so there must be a bad connection on the right side connectors or the connector on the new power supply is bad. With your Dmm check the upper right connector, it should be 38 volts DC. Then check the lower right connector, it should read 20 volts DC.

#12 6 years ago

The bridge board reads 38VDC on the upper right connector and 28VDC on the lower right connector.

#13 6 years ago

That's good, then follow the wires up to the power supply and check the connector on the power supply.

#14 6 years ago

The ride-side connectors on the Inkochnito bridge board feed 3J1 on the XPin power board. The backs of the connectors at the XPin board read the same as the values at the Inkochnito bridge board. If I unplug 3J1, and test the mating ends of those pins, my readings differ because now the connector is out. The values change from 38vdc and 28vdc to 28vdc and 18vdc. Both D9 and D14 LEDs go off when I pull 3J1. No change on D4 (off).

#15 6 years ago

The connector with the 2 black wires is the ground for each of the two bridge rectifiers. In your pic the connector is in reverse of the original board. This maybe the problem.

system 11 ps (resized).jpgsystem 11 ps (resized).jpg

5ae34aa0d237c4f097294658340732a012fc5bb9 (resized).jpg5ae34aa0d237c4f097294658340732a012fc5bb9 (resized).jpg

#16 6 years ago

Can you remove the 2 wire connector from the board and take a pic of the connector on the board. I think X pin might have mounted it upside down.

#17 6 years ago

Photo of 3J2 attached.

My 3J10 connector is homemade. If you could double check those colors for me, against yours (labeled 4), that would give me some confidence in that connector.

IMG_20180410_091215 (resized).jpgIMG_20180410_091215 (resized).jpg

#18 6 years ago

You need to send that back to X pin for a replacement board as they mounted the connector up side down.

#19 6 years ago

Your J-10 connector is correct.

#20 6 years ago

Grumpy, thank you very much. I'll keep you posted.

#21 6 years ago

New XPin board arrived today. Plugged it in, and everything is working. The rep at XPin says this is only the second board in four years that was released like this, so I would call this situation unique.

Thanks again to GRUMPY for the help in resolving the issue.

#22 6 years ago

Play ball

#23 6 years ago

Grumpy's the man..

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

Grumpy's the man..

That is the understatement of the year

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-14-tomcat-game-will-not-start?hl=puffdanny and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.