pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
ddd (resized).jpg
20210104_170603 (resized).jpg
20210104_170610 (resized).jpg
20210104_170616 (resized).jpg
20210104_170620 (resized).jpg
F-14_Tomcat_F5_fuse (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grumpy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 3 years ago

Post a pic of your power supply. Measure the 5 volts on the power supply.

#8 3 years ago

I would assume that your game had reset due to low 5 volt. This may have caused one or more coils to lock on, burning the F-5 fuse. Someone has replaced the caps on the power supply in the past. They did not use the correct one for C-10, it should had been 18000 uf instead of 15000 uf. Can you test the voltage on IC1 pin 10.

4 months later
#10 2 years ago
Quoted from hanasu:

Dumb question, what/where is IC1?

Check pin 10, should be about 6.45 volts DC.

ddd (resized).jpgddd (resized).jpg
#12 2 years ago

You could remove the large connector above the IC1 chip, but it's not necessary.

1 week later
#15 2 years ago
Quoted from hanasu:

IC1 pin 10 - 5.81v

This is low. This voltage goes to the base of Q-5. Q-5 regulates the 5 volt line. So this is why you have 4.77 volts instead of 5.00. Anything under 4.85 volts will cause the cpu to stop running, when this happens coils lock on burning fuses.

Either Q-5 or IC1 could be bad, but before you replace anything do one more test. Test the voltage on IC1 pin 12, should be 26.7 volts. If this voltage tests is good I would replace IC1. If this voltage is low then I would replace D-1, D-5, D-6, C-7 and C-8.

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from hanasu:

Replaced IC1. Pin 10 is now about 6.05v which seems low still. Is the next step to replace D-1, D-5, D-6, C-7 and C-8 then? Or Q-5?

What does the 5 volt read now?

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from hanasu:

TP1 is right at 4.99v.

4.99 volts is a lot better then 4.77 volts. Try playing some games, see what happens.

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from hanasu:

The good news is we still have 5v right on at the MPU test point. Bad news is F5 still blows immediately.

Is this at power up or at start of game?

#24 2 years ago

So you have one of the transistors turning on or shorted out for the high voltage coils that are controlled by snubber relays. In the pic below I have high lighted the transistors for all of the snubber relays. If you leave the fuse out at F5 fuse holder and turn on the game, one or more of the snubber relays will turn on and stay on. This is not correct and why the fuse is burning. An easy way to find out which snubber relay is on is to do a voltmeter test. If you set your meter to DC volts and place the black lead under the ground braid, then use the red lead to test the transistors I highlighted. Touch the red lead to the metal tab of the TIP 122 transistors and you should get a voltage reading of @ 32 volts. The metal tab is the same as the collector lead of the transistor. If you find a transistor that reads zero volts, this will be your problem. Let me know what you find.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#27 2 years ago
Quoted from hanasu:

I have about 33-34 volts at all of those. The backbox siren lights and one of the relays were coming on intermittently while I was testing if that's a clue. All other fuses still check good.

Repeat same test but check Q-77 and Q-79 this time. These 2 are for the divertor ramp. Some games have these coils wired for 50 volts instead of 25 volts so if they are on 50 volts they will be on the same F5 fuse.

#29 2 years ago

Houston we have a problem!

Ok go under the play field and cut off the purple/yellow wires from the two coils and cap with a wire nut. Replace the fuse F5 with a 2.5 amp slow blow fuse. Power on the machine and start a game. Everything but those two coils should be working now. Let me know what happens.

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Some games have these coils wired for 50 volts instead of 25 volts so if they are on 50 volts they will be on the same F5 fuse.

So like I said earlier some games are 50 volt (purple/yellow) and some games are 25 volts (red/white). I have always suggested to people to use the red/white wires to reduce the stress on the transistors. But in saying this you need to keep the purple/yellow chain connected and insulated so the coils down the line still have power. You can remove the purple/yellow wire that is connected to both divertor coils and use it to splice the broken purple/yellow wire.
For the low voltage to work, the divertors need to work smoothly, the pivot points need to be clean and oiled, clean coil sleeves and polished plungers. There is a service bulletin you should look over too.

https://www.ipdb.org/files/804/Williams_1987_F_14_Tomcat_Service_Bulletin_no_number_undated_to_resolve_binding_diverter_gate_assembly.pdf

Also you still have issues on the CPU board that need to be fixed. After you get the purple /yellow wire fixed, then run a coil test to ensure every coil works but the 2 divertor coils.

1 week later
#35 2 years ago
Quoted from hanasu:

I can't seem to get into the coil test because of the PIA error message.

Test the 5 volts on the cpu board, let me know what you get.

Quoted from hanasu:

There's no way to keep the chain connected. The only purple/yellow wire I have that's not wired to anything comes off the left center eject coil.

This should go to the Yagov coil and then to the left outlane kickback. You can use any color wire but I thought you might have enough of the original wire to do this.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grumpy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-14-tomcat-blowing-f5-backbox-fuse?tu=grumpy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.