• Latest reply 9 years ago by LongJohns
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20150205_002405.jpg
dernet2.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayout440.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 9 years ago
Quoted from Gorno:

My SRC6 is not factory and has been replaced by some sort of resistor/capacitor rats nest.

As long as it is built correctly, using discrete components is fine. Does it look like this? Send a photo.dernet2.jpgdernet2.jpg

It could be a shorted switch or diode on the playfield elsewhere (it actually sounds like that outhole kicker switch could be related, so I would tackle that one first. I would first replace the diode, then replace the switch if no other wiring short is visible)

I had random tilts when I aquired my Tomcat and it turned out to be a Tomcat target shorting. If a transistor were failing, you would usually get a whole row or column failing the switch test, so I would put that at the bottom of my list of suspects.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from Gorno:

These are the days I wish I was an electrician.

It certainly can help.

Regardless, If the SRC6 is built incorrectly you certainly can have some problems!

Remember, the switch matrix tests are your friend. To divide and conquer, the first thing to do is to determine if you have a playfield problem, or an MPU problem. Start by checking the MPU reporting using the shorting method:

See:
"Testing the Switch Columns (all system 11 revisions)"
and "Testing the Switch Rows (all system 11 revisions)"
http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/wms11/index3.htm#switch

#8 9 years ago

The bigger problem with that thing is there is no insulation and no separation insuring that leads can't touch each other. I would recommend rebuilding it correctly with just the resistors first. Then test the MPU switch matrix directly with the playfield connectors removed to see where you stand.

#11 9 years ago

My suggestion would be to get the board sent out to a professional for an evaluation at this point.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from Gorno:

There is a diode board under the playfield the has some larger diodes on it. They are not mentioned in the manual or any of the guides. Not sure if I can test them like the others, or whether they could be a problem.

This is the diode switching board for the coils. Instead of having the diodes mounted on the coils where they are exposed to harsh vibration, they were moved to this board. Connections to it are indicated on the Solenoid table in the manual under the column "playfield cabinet connections"

#17 9 years ago

I also just noticed the socketed Q46. There's no good reason to socket those transistors, that's just asking for problems and certainly could be a contributor to some weirdness.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
2,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Clarita, CA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayout440.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-14-tilt-and-outhole-kicker-issues?tu=wayout440 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.