• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
#1 5 years ago

Hey All,

I have an F-14 Tomcat that has been working perfectly. Well the other day when I started it, and same again today, I'm having problems. Was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

Symptoms:
Starts up and gives the beep indicating successful boot
The light show under the playfield inserts is basically frozen with some lit, and some not
The display has some letters working, some not, some flickering
If I restart a few times, it eventually starts the lights and the display starts working.
It's like it needs to warm up or something.

Does anyone know what can cause these problems to start happening all at the same time?

Thanks!
Kyle

#2 5 years ago

I've also discovered that once everything is working, turning it off and back on again, everything works fine. But after it's been off for a while, the problems come back. One other thing I found out that if I start it up and it has the problems, if I leave it on long enough, everything slowly begins working again but slowly. After a few more minutes the lights are all flashing smooth and quick like they should, and the display begins to start working. It's like it has to warm up or something, and I've never had this problem before.

#3 5 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f14-tomcat-owners-club-fans-also-welcome
Post in here as well. Lots of great info in that thread. I would not think your connectors are subject but is possible. Take them off and look for corrosion then reinstall if they look good. Re seating them some times helps. Doing this with the game off. It could also be, that some of the connectors need re flowed at the circuit board.

#4 5 years ago

I'd suspect the power supply, possibly the capacitors. Test voltages at all the test points on boards.

#5 5 years ago

"Use a DMM to test the DC outputs. Set DMM to DC 200 volts and stick black lead under the ground braid and use the red lead for testing."

I've put red boxes around the test points. Test point 1(TP1) is in the top box, and test points 2-4 are in the bottom box. The orange box has the two connectors to leave connected. I'm not sure which fuse is which, but you may have a fuse chart in the head that will show you which fuses are F2, F3, and F4.

MRudowsky posted this on my F-14 resto thread! Is deff helpful and a easy check!!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#6 5 years ago

TP1 5.062V
TP3 14.60V
TP4 -14.94V
Fuse 2 42.49V both sides
Fuse 3 19.66V both sides
Fuse 4 42.46V both sides
J5 Pin 3 -103.5
J5 Pin 4 104.6
J5 pin 6 5.062V
This is what your voltages should be around.

#7 5 years ago

if your voltage is good you may want to check the 6802's on the mpu and reseat them. One of them my be acting up or going bad. i had one go bad last week and it was doing as sorts of weird things until i replaced it. luckily i had another system 11 board to swap the chip out to test.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-14-system-11-insert-light-show-froze-display-partially-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.