Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by GRUMPY
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I worked on the back playfield flash lamps - one had quit working and needed to resolder a solder joint. After repairing the solder joint, the playfield switch matrix row 1 is dead. Everything else is working fine. I first checked the connection at ij10 and it is okay. I next checked all fuses and they are okay. The white brown wire - row 1 switch matrix - also connects to a resistor under the playfield. Resistor checks out fine as do the wiring connections to the resistor. Finally I traced the wiring for switch matrix row 1 to each switch and saw nothing disconnected or unusual.

I also pulled ij10 and ij8 and jumped a wire from white/brown pin 9 on ij10 and each connector pin at ij8 while in switch test diagnostics to see if the switches in the row activated. All switches tested fine so it must be somewhere on the playfield. Correct?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Game has been playing fine for several months until this.

#2 6 years ago

Reach out to GRUMPY. He is the resident F14 guru around these parts.

#3 6 years ago

Yes, Grumpy is great. He helped me when I was trying to get this pin working.

#4 6 years ago

I got home a little early and continued to trouble shoot. The connector at 1j10 white/brown wire has continuity to the the first switch in row 1, the plumbob tilt. There is no continuity between the plumbob tilt and the next switch which is the playfield tilt.

#5 6 years ago

The switches are not wired in the same order as the switch matrix table. They are wired in such a way that Williams could save wire.

#6 6 years ago

Since you have continuity to the first switch, you should be able to make the first switch work in switch test. Does this hold true?

#7 6 years ago

Yes. I can make the plumbob tilt work - switch 1 - in the switch test. All other switches on that row do not work.

I also checked continuity between the row 1 switches on the playfield and all tested okay.

TEMPORARY fix. It is the playfield connector. Must need to be repinned. By the time it is all said and done I will have repinned the whole darn pin..

Thanks.

#8 6 years ago

Try to squeeze the connector together with a channel lock pliers on both sides at the same time as it may not be fully inserted.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-14-switch-matrix-row-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.