You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

f14switchmatrix_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

This F-14 is new to me. I believe I have gotten all issues fixed except 2:

1. flasher 2 is not working, bad cement resistors located
2. The game resets when you get balls locked in both left and right center ejects. Credits are also added during game play
In switch level test all switches in column 3 green/orange will cycle through all switches in their row on the display when activated and held. Both the left and right center ejects are in this column. Unplugged the switch matrix connectors from the board and tested with jumper wire at the board connectors with the same results.
In switch edge test each switch in column 3 shows up as the switch in the same row, but in column 8 (20=60, 21=61, 22=62, 23=63) Switch 24 is the exception. It shows up as the switch in the same row but in column 7: 56. I am guessing this is because switch 64 is not used.

This leads me to believe the problem is with the board not the playfield wiring.

How do I narrow down and find the bad component?

I have a dmm and possibly access to an oscilloscope.

f14switchmatrix_(resized).jpgf14switchmatrix_(resized).jpg

#2 8 years ago

Since you have identified the problem as a board fault, I would check these resistor parts first. Pretty common for them to have issues that play havoc on the matrix scanning.

SR9/SR10* = 1k ohms x 4 resistors isolated/discrete (8 pins). Used for the switch returns (rows). Mouser part# 652-4608X-102-1K. Easy to test in-circuit.
SR11* = 560 ohm x 9 resistors bussed (10 pins). Used for the switch returns (rows). Mouser part# 652-4310R-101-560. Easy to test in-circuit.
SR3/SR15/SR17* = 4.7k ohms x 9 resistors bussed (10 pins). Used for the switch drives (columns). Mouser part# 652-4310R-101-472.
SRC6* (1k/470 pfd) = resistor/capacitor network for switch matrix columns. Has 1k ohm resistors with 470 pF caps in a single package. Can not be tested in-circuit. Replace with a 1k ohm x 9 resistor bussed (10 pins) with no capacitors. Cut off pin 10 (important!), and install pin 1 (common) in pin 1 of the board. The cut pin 10 of the resistor network does not go into the board's pin 10 position. See notes below for more info on this. Mouser part# 652-4610X-1LF-1K.

#3 8 years ago

Thank you for the quick reply. You say easy to test in circuit, can you tell me specifically how to test them?

Thank you again

#4 8 years ago

Where the test guides indicate the pack is "easy to test in circuit" means that other components in the circuit either do not affect the measurement or affect it very little. Some of these resistor packs should measure the designated value without physically desoldering or removing them from the circuit.

Find the common pin, designated by a dot or notch at one end of the device. Set your meter to ohms and measure from this pin to each of the other pins in turn. As an example, SR11 should measure close to 560 ohms from each individual pin to the common pin. Measuring 580 ohms on one of the pins would be an example of close, and over 1000 ohms would be an example of not close. If you get one that is way off, desolder it from the circuit and check it again with a meter. If it is out of spec, replace it.

#5 8 years ago

resolved; Q44 was shorted. hello multiball!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-14-switch-matrix-causing-game-reset-board-level and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.