(Topic ID: 233527)

F-14 Pop Bumber Diode/Resistor/Cap Needed??

By BryanBPH

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by BryanBPH
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bryanbph.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I recently picked up an F-14, and like many other posts I've read, the single pop-bumper is SUPER WEAK. I replaced the coil as well as the switch, which barely made a difference. When I run a coil test, and/or activate the pop bumper by hand, it seems plenty strong enough, it's just when the ball hits it, the pop bumper barely fires the ball anywhere. I've adjusted the switch properly, so everything is adjusted/new. I've tried various adjustments of the gap between the playfield and the pop bumper by adding some small washers to the pop bumper hoping that would help, but still it's just weak.

I came across another F-14 and the pop bumper, while still weak IMO, was popping at at least an acceptable level to make the game enjoyable. I did notice that on that game, the pop bumper switch has a diode, resister, and capacitor soldered on to some terminals on the side of the switch. I can't find anything in the documentation that mentions this, and my original F-14 (the one with the weak pop) didn't have those on the switch when I obtained it.

So my questions are:

1 - Are those 3 components needed on the switch? If so, why / what do they do?
    2 - Is it possible that this is why my pop bumper is so weak?
    3 - What are the specifications for those 3 components? Best I have found is it's a 100 ohm resistor, but not sure about the diode/cap?

I was thinking about ordering one of these: https://actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=SW-11A-35 to see if it would solve my problem.

Any help / insight on this is greatly appreciated.

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from GLSP3022:

https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-pop-bumper-leaf-switch-assembly-populated.html
    100 ohm resistor 1/2 watt
    22uF 100v capacitor
    1N4001 or 1N4004 diode
    They are needed for a responsive pop on F14. This is why it is weak. I had the same issue.
    Plenty of pics online for the wiring schematic

Awesome. Thanks for the prompt response and information

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bryanbph.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-14-pop-bumber-diode-resistor-cap-needed?tu=bryanbph and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.