F-14 Plays music on start up and other questions/ issues

By darcangeloel

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hi Pinside,

I bought an F-14 a few months back and have been having an awesome time cleaning it up. I have a bit of an odd situation. When I turn on my F-14 I almost immediately get music. It's kind of an odd sound as well. Kind of like circus music. I've also noticed that during game play the dots on the upper displays turn on an off as well (The dots above the commas used to separate the score for readability). For reference I have a rotten dog mpu and a led display (Orange) which came with the game. I also replaced the power supply board with a rottendog power supply board as I was having a lock up issue. I thought this had been resolved but when league came over it reared its head again. Subsequent attempts to reproduce the lock up have failed (Tested every switch, left the game on for hours and nothing, also put it in burn in mode for a while). Does anyone know which chip on the board calls for the music to start playing. I have ordered some replacement chips as they are socketed. My thought is one of them probably just got fried by something at some point.

#2 5 years ago

Afternoon bump

#3 5 years ago

Night time bump

#4 5 years ago

Something went bump during the day

#5 5 years ago

With my Tomcat I initially had issues with music randomly stopping and occasionally multiball not triggering. This was fixed when I replaced the CPU and Sound roms. It sounds like you may have ordered those? If not, they're available on Pinside:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1083-matt-s-basement-arcade/01179-f-14-tomcat-pinball-cpu-rom-set
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1083-matt-s-basement-arcade/01180-f-14-tomcat-pinball-sound-speech-rom-set

What exactly do you mean by lockup? What is not working?

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from atrainn:

With my Tomcat I initially had issues with music randomly stopping and occasionally multiball not triggering. This was fixed when I replaced the CPU and Sound roms. It sounds like you may have ordered those? If not, they're available on Pinside:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1083-matt-s-basement-arcade/01179-f-14-tomcat-pinball-cpu-rom-set
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1083-matt-s-basement-arcade/01180-f-14-tomcat-pinball-sound-speech-rom-set
What exactly do you mean by lockup? What is not working?

Interesting, so the game came with new roms from K's Arcade (Or where ever the rottendog board came from again it came with the machine). However I'm not opposed to buying some new copies of those roms just to see if it will resolve the issue.

Regarding the lock up. It happens almost randomly. The game stays on and the display stop displaying anything (However it is still on) the controlled lamps that are on stay on and the GI stays on. The music normally stops or plays on a loop. The flippers and slingshots continue to work but yeah it basically just sits there until I turn the power off on the game and then turn it back on after which the game plays like normal for a while.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from darcangeloel:

Interesting, so the game came with new roms from K's Arcade (Or where ever the rottendog board came from again it came with the machine). However I'm not opposed to buying some new copies of those roms just to see if it will resolve the issue.
Regarding the lock up. It happens almost randomly. The game stays on and the display stop displaying anything (However it is still on) the controlled lamps that are on stay on and the GI stays on. The music normally stops or plays on a loop. The flippers and slingshots continue to work but yeah it basically just sits there until I turn the power off on the game and then turn it back on after which the game plays like normal for a while.

Interesting. Have you tested voltages to make sure your wiring harness isn't causing some sort of drop to the CPU board? As for the roms, newly burned roms can be bad from time to time, and the CPU roms are cheap enough that I think it's worth replacing them just to rule it out. Other people on here might have a better idea though.

If might be helpful if you can try to take a video of it locking as well.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from atrainn:

Interesting. Have you tested voltages to make sure your wiring harness isn't causing some sort of drop to the CPU board? As for the roms, newly burned roms can be bad from time to time, and the CPU roms are cheap enough that I think it's worth replacing them just to rule it out. Other people on here might have a better idea though.
If might be helpful if you can try to take a video of it locking as well.

oddly I can't get it to do it again (Not from lack of trying). That could have just been a fluke although a weird one given how many times it reoccurred. I'll give the new roms a shot as well thanks for the help!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-14-plays-music-on-start-up-and-other-questions-issues?hl=darcangeloel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.