(Topic ID: 258476)

F-14 no ball trough switches working.

By Beterthnyu

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pin2 (resized).jpg
    pin1 (resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

Got a good deal on an F-14 that needs a little work today. No battery acid damage at all and everything looks great on it.

The game boots up fine and goes into attract mode, but when you credit it up and press the start button it fires a few coils and sounds like it may be searching for a missing ball, and then it does not kick a ball out into the shooter lane and the game doesn't start. I made sure that 4 balls are loaded in the machine and inspected the trough switches to make sure they looked like they are being pressed.

First I ran the solenoid test and see that the kickers are all working that should be loading a ball into the shooter lane.

When I run the switch test I get no errors and every switch seems to be working throughout the machine except none of the 4 switches in the ball trough register at all.

All fuses in the pin tested fine and the only other thing I see physically wrong is that the right bottom flipper is burned out and doesn't work.

Anyone know what could be making the entire switch bank for the trough not work? Could one dead switch be causing them all to fail since they are daisy chained? Or could it be something further upstream?

#2 4 years ago

Looking at the switch matrix diagram in the manual, all four trough switches are in the same column, so I would look for a broken or disconnected wire at one of those switches or another in that column.

Do the other switches in the column work? Outhole, tilt, shooter lane, right eos? If none work, then it could also be the connector to the board.

You mention right bottom flipper is burned out? What do you mean? If that EOS switch is disconnected, it could be creating a problem with the other switches in that column, i.e., the trough switches.

#3 4 years ago

Weird, mine JUST did this a few weeks back after being on route. Driver transistor 2 was shorted out.

I would check for shorts at the transistors. Mine was transistor 2. Board repair shop thought (before it was sent in) that switch row #1 logic was blown. May not be the same solution, but we had the same problem.

Also check for any shorts under the pf that could cause the board to fail.

1 week later
    #4 4 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

Looking at the switch matrix diagram in the manual, all four trough switches are in the same column, so I would look for a broken or disconnected wire at one of those switches or another in that column.
    Do the other switches in the column work? Outhole, tilt, shooter lane, right eos? If none work, then it could also be the connector to the board.
    You mention right bottom flipper is burned out? What do you mean? If that EOS switch is disconnected, it could be creating a problem with the other switches in that column, i.e., the trough switches.

Finally getting a chance to work on this one. I have attached a photo of the flipper that I was talking about that didn't work. The switch on the flipper was all melted together because the plastic arms between them were melted. I went ahead and just replaced the entire flipper assembly and rewired it. I tested the continuity between all of the switches and the flipper to make sure nothing was disconnected.

It appears that it is the green and red wire that connects all of the switches in that column and that flipper. I traced it back to the board and found that some resisters were burned out. Im guessing that the flipper shorting caused that.

I am also attaching a photo of the src6 section that it has appeared to have scorched. I ordered the parts to rebuild that entire section (r-71 through r-78, c-49 through c-55, q-42 through q-49, and the replacement for the src6 itself.

Should rebuilding that section and replacing the offending flipper assembly correct the issue? Or do I need to make sure to check the driver transistor as well to make sure its not shorted since I don't know what caused the flipper problem in the first place? Anything else I need to check on before firing it back up?

pin1 (resized).jpgpin1 (resized).jpgpin2 (resized).jpgpin2 (resized).jpg
    #5 4 years ago

Update:

It was the burned out resistors like I suspected. Replaced them after replacing that flipper.

Works great now!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-14-no-ball-trough-switches-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.