New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 130931)

F-14 Lamp Problems

By MrWizzo

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by herg
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Does anyone know if the lamp matrix changed on F-14 in the later models that went to the PCBs for some of the insert lighting?

I have a light on the RED GREY row that stays on mostly. Flickers, goes off in some attracts modes, but never turns off in game mode.

I have checked all diodes on the row and they measure okay. I have replaced some just for certainty.

The left bonus X is shown on the matrix as last row, maybe column maybe four or five, yet seems to be a terminal as row and column wiring go to but not from to the next lamp.

Also the three CAT lights mid playfield on the right are getting too much voltage and burn out in a day. I put 12 V bulbs in there as a stopgap until I figure out the problem.

There is a nearby resistor board with one of the 300 ohm 10% 7W sand resistors that immediately gets burning hot to the touch. Are these boards only for flashers or could this be related to the excess voltages to the CAT lamps?

Thanks,

Dan

#2 5 years ago

It's possible that a transistor has shorted on, that would cause a bunch of lamps to have 18v (rather than 6v), and thus burn very brightly!

#3 5 years ago

My guess is a short with a high voltage line somewhere. I don't know if the matrix changed, but I doubt it.

The big resistors are just for flashers I'm pretty sure.
Time to get the multimeter out

#4 5 years ago

The F-14 lamp matrix is the same as all other Sys11 games.

Hot sand resistors don't immediately clue me into a problem. They used sand resistors BECAUSE they expected them to carry a lot of power.

The CAT lights burning out, however, is a clue. Do you know that they're getting too high voltage, or is it possible that they're just being kept on too long due to a lamp matrix or transistor short?

I'd suggest using single lamp test and mapping out what you see. For example, set the test to lamp 11, and note which lamps are actually lit, then set the test to 12... I suspect you'll see lamps that are lit when they shouldn't be, and you may see a pattern.

If you like some help, I'd be glad to drop by some time.

#5 5 years ago

Thanks guys. Upon further inspection and consultation with the pinball pundits, all lamps in the column seem affected, so time to replace the transistor.

Dan

#6 5 years ago

Have you tested to make sure it's not a short under the playfield? Replacing the transistor, only to find out it's still not working would be a downer.

#7 5 years ago

Changing Q58 did it. Luckily, a Radio Shack in my area isn't closing and had the TIP 42s. Lights behaving with no multiple lights in single lamp test.

All problems fixed except for my insistance to set the game to EX. HARD.

Dan

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

insistance to set the game to EX. HARD

A brand new clearcoat on F-14 set to EX. HARD? I'm not sure if I can handle the torture.

I'm glad you fixed the problems.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Atlantic City, NJ
$ 17.00
$ 85.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 15.75
Cabinet Parts
Tilted Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside