3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by bobukcat
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bobukcat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Hmm, this is strange..If you grounded the transistor and it fired, that means the coil, transistor and wiring is ok. That only leaves the board itself.....perhaps you need to go back and look at the board, you may have another component on it that maybe bad. I'm a fan of Rottendog myself...I had a couple of friends who had problems after installing but almost always it turned out to be something else (connectors, ribbon cable etc).

Unless they are different on the RD boards grounding the tab doesn't actually test the transistor it just tests the coil, wiring, etc. I would venture a guess that the drive transistor or pre-driver is bad.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Oh okay, but If the transistor is shorted or bad wouldn't the coil be locked on?

Shorted yes it would lock on a coil but a transistor can fail open as well.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from FlaGeek:

Thanks. What test would you recommend to see if Q69 has failed open? I've also contacted Rottendog to see if I can get a schematic from them and any advice they have.

I'm sorry but I'm not familiar with their boards and don't know what transistor types they use in the game but it should be a NPN and the tab should be the emitter. With that in mind and the game off if you put a meter in diode test, black lead on the tab and the red lead on each leg you should have a forward voltage drop of about .8-1.2V from the base to the emitter and a very high reading from collector to emitter (one leg will be a dead short to the tab as they are electrically connected). I'd suspect you won't see the base to emitter drop and it will be open indicating a bad transistor. Also If you have a logic probe you could probe the base of the transistor (just be careful and don't put the probe on the high-voltage legs of the transistor, could seriously damage it) while the game is in solenoid test mode and see if it cycles, if it does the pre-driver is working and the driver transistor is bad, if not the problem is the pre-driver or further up the logic chain of the board. You'd have to follow that back up the chain with the logic probe if that's the case.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bobukcat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-14-jet-bumper-problem?tu=bobukcat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.