Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Marcus
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayout440.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I dont have my manual handy, and can't spend the time to look on ipdb at the moment (at work), but I think relay K1 controls the power for the flippers.
Start investigating around that.

Yes this is correct. With the game off ohm out IJ19 1&2 and IJ20 1&2 to ground. If there is a dead short, the relay K1 is probably stuck closed mechanically. Then ohm out emitter to collector on Q67, if this is shorted then the relay is being pulled in by a failed Q67. There are other not so common causes, so if it is not either of those, then with the power on I would start by looking at the signal to Q67 to see if it is actually turning on and off when the game is told to start. If this doesn't change state, then the problem is likely upstream before Q67, if it does change state the Q67/downstream. Good luck.

#14 10 years ago

When I power mine on while holding the relay I can definitely feel the click - it is small but it is there. But no short at J19 J20 to ground when the power off doesn't really support stuck relay contacts. The game on pulling in the contacts during attract mode would suggest something else is turning on K1.

I would recommend to back up and check the solenoid side first to be certain.

First use your DMM to measure resistance (game off) from the anode side of D3 to ground. You should get a slowly rising resistance from around 100-150 ohms that creeps upward.
Then with the game on measure DC voltage on the anode side of D3 (non band side) directly above the relay. You should have 5VDC there when the game is in attract mode, and should drop to nearly 0V when you press the start button. If you don't have 5VDC on the anode side of D3 the problem isn't the relay. If you do have the 5VDC at that point I would just replace the relay.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from papazit1963:

Hmmm. My bottom diverter coil is melted and associated transistor and pre-driver is fried. I wonder if this is the same problem? Bad ic at u50?
Mike

Probably U50, just shotgun replace if you feel lucky, but I would make sure the problem doesn't extend further upstream myself.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from TVP:

I have a High Speed where the right flippers operate in attract mode. The machine works perfect otherwise. All switches and coils work/test good. Game plays great. No diverter problems. A local operator said there might be an issue with the relay or something was wired around the relay on MPU.
Not hijacking here, just watching...

Correct, if the problem is isolated to the flippers in your case - if it doesn't bother you to not have the game work perfectly as intended and there are no other problems it is perfectly fine to leave it alone. In Papazit1963s case he has a few other issues that may or may not be related. U50 feeds some other circuits and could be related to other problems. I think it is a good idea to track it down and resolve it in his case.

#25 10 years ago

Congrats! Nothing like a good game of F-14!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayout440.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-14-flippers-working-in-attract-mode?tu=wayout440 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.