DSC_0311.JPG
100_1748.jpg
flashlamp.gif
#1 11 years ago

I can't seem to find them in my manual...Thanks

#2 11 years ago

Pg 59 of the manual has should have this diagram: flashlamp.gifflashlamp.gif

#3 11 years ago

Thanks, found it, not sure how to read it.
10 watt 5 ohm, and 7 watt 330 ohm?
Are those resistors the ones in these pics, and which ones are which?

100_1748.jpg100_1748.jpg

#4 11 years ago

The two longer ones in the middle are the 5 ohm ones. The outside shorter ones are the 330 ohm ones.

#5 11 years ago

Being melted looking I assume they could be part of the reason some flashers don't work, and should all be replaced? How many of each go on the back panel of the PF? I don't want to take it apart to look untill I have the parts to fix it.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from cowman57:

Being melted looking I assume they could be part of the reason some flashers don't work, and should all be replaced?

They don't look melted, looks like someone used some sort of glue on them. Perhaps because they are known to vibrate loose and desolder themselves. (they get pretty hot)

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from cowman57:

Being melted looking I assume they could be part of the reason some flashers don't work, and should all be replaced? How many of each go on the back panel of the PF? I don't want to take it apart to look untill I have the parts to fix it.

+1 those don't look melted, they really can't - they're cement resistors. Does look like some sort of glue. What you will often see is the leads break right where the lead goes into the cement body, from the stress of vibration. If you very gently pull on the resistor body and the resistor pulls away on one or both ends you've located this problem.

#8 11 years ago

These resistors are notorious for breaking off.

#9 11 years ago

So, what you do then, remove all the 330W (Warming resistors) and swap your #89's for LED versions then you no longer need them.

In my F-14 I used color matched PBL flashers. Wear sunglasses.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

So, what you do then, remove all the 330W (Warming resistors) and swap your #89's for LED versions then you no longer need them.
In my F-14 I used color matched PBL flashers. Wear sunglasses.

I thought about doing this. Game's so bright as it is I decided not to. Do you wear sunscreen with the glasses too?

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

I did the same, took all the 330's off and even replaced the 5 ohm with ones that have better thermal performance and are 15 watt rated. I don't want to have to worry about overheating again.

#12 11 years ago

Yeah, you are just missing some in the middle of the pic, they must have broken right off.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

Yeah, you are just missing some in the middle of the pic, they must have broken right off.

Nothing laying in the bottom of the cab, but there were some soldered on that board at one time. I'll get some ordered. Half of the red flashers on the PF back panel don't work. Are there some resistors behind that back panel? One more question. By the upper TOM-CAT targets, there are 2 domes with no flashers under them. Have they been removed at some point in time, or are the domes just there for looks?

#14 11 years ago

The two missing flashers are intentional. Williams stopped putting them in because of shorting against the tom-cat targets. You can add them back in (I did). Here is a great video showing you how.

#15 11 years ago

As far as nothing in the bottom of the cab, they could have fallen off years ago and been thrown away, I would replace them, might get some of those flashers working again. I think those are for the middle playfield target, are those working right now?

They planned on putting those flashers by the upper tom cat targets at one point but decided not to (I cannot remember why, maybe cost?) A lot of people add them back in later. You can probably find other threads on how to do this.

As far as the red flashers along the back, there are not resisitors behind them, pics below of what is behind them when you reach back there and remove it. The resisitors for it must be elsewhere but I am unsure where. I had some flashers out on mine when I got it, and you can see in pics the traces were all sorts of burnt, I had a friend jumper them and they worked perfect. The bulbs may just be out though, its a pain in the ass to replace them and a lot of people do not bother. To get at the little flasher board you need to reach behind there (blindly, cant see what you are doing) and there are two little wing nuts holding it in place, also you have to unplug the connector.

DSC_0311.JPGDSC_0311.JPG DSC_0312.JPGDSC_0312.JPG

#16 11 years ago

The second pic above is the "before" repair pic, here is the after.

2012-12-14_20_17_24.jpg2012-12-14_20_17_24.jpg

#17 11 years ago

Thanks much guys!

#18 11 years ago

I had to do that same fix on mine. That first etch gets way too much abuse.

Those 6 back flashers are sharing the resistors of the flashers on the playfield. One trick is you can put all LED flashers on the playfield, and leave those as incandescent, and you do not 'have to' remove the resistors to use LED flashers on the PF.

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

I had to do that same fix on mine. That first etch gets way too much abuse.
Those 6 back flashers are sharing the resistors of the flashers on the playfield. One trick is you can put all LED flashers on the playfield, and leave those as incandescent, and you do not 'have to' remove the resistors to use LED flashers on the PF.

Never did the LED thing....Are there board modifications that have to be made to power LED's, or do you just pull out the incandesents, and install the LED's?

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from cowman57:

do you just pull out the incandescents, and install the LED's?

Yep. Mostly.

Some Williams and DE machines used 'warming' circuits to keep slight voltage to the #89 flashers just below the level where you can see them glow. That is those big cement resistors you see.

Problem is that with LED's needing so little power to turn on, the warming circuits cause them to show like the are always on.

If you go full LED flashers, you have to remove the 300ohm resistors.

However, if you have multiple incandescents on a circuit and leave one in and swap the other(s) to LED the load of the old bulb is enough to hold the voltage down so that the LED will not glow on. This is how my F-14 runs, I left all resistors in, left the old style bulbs in the domes on the back of the PF and all others swapped to LED.

3 months later
#21 10 years ago

I want to add all LED's to my F-14 Tomcat. You mention remove the 330 ohm warming resistors. Do I have to add wire to where there were installed?

#22 10 years ago

No. Just pull them.

If you look at the schematic posted way bad, you will see the resistors sit between the bulb and ground and are just there to keep a small current draw. You want to remove the draw. A jumper would be a BIG draw

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from sofakingfast:

I want to add all LED's to my F-14 Tomcat. You mention remove the 330 ohm warming resistors. Do I have to add wire to where there were installed?

No, just remove them and leave the spot empty.

#24 10 years ago

Thank you

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-14-flasher-resistor-value and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.