• Latest reply 7 years ago by terryb
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160910_220542_001a (resized).jpg
20160910_220510_001 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Yellowdog.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I finally have some time to go over my F-14. The upper diverter locked on and smoked the coil. I have replaced the coil and both transistors and it seems to be back. But I noticed a couple of large resistors in the bottom and tracked them to resister boards scattered around the bottom of the playfield. Apparently these are used to provide warming voltage for the flasher bulbs. So I ordered a bunch of replacement resistors of both 330 ohm and 5 ohm varieties. I replaced them and went into the flasher test. It worked fine for about a minute. The flasher in the ramp diverter by the right flipper stopped working. When I checked, the 5 ohm resister had popped the wire on one end and the other end had popped the trace right off the board.

Based on a little research it looks like the best option might be to replace the #89 bulbs with LEDs and remove the resistors altogether.

Before I do that, I would like to know why this brand new resistor broke like that and if that presents a danger to the LEDs once they are installed. So if you have replaced the incandescent bulbs with LEDs, which of the two major processes did you use. (a) remove the 330 ohm resistors or (b) remove the ground(s) to the resistor boards.

Thanks in advance for any input. I have a few days as I still need to source and purchase the LED replacements. I would just like to do this once the right way the first time for a change.

ken

#4 7 years ago

Thanks for the replies.

I replaced the resistors with exact replacements both wattage and ohmage (5 ohm 10W and 330 ohm 7W wire wound ceramic bodies) from Great Plains Electronics. The only difference was the new ones were bright shiny white.

The resistors were mounted about 1/4 off the PCB for ventilation, matching the originals as well.

I should have the LEDs in a few days. I will just need to schedule some time to finish them up.

ken

#6 7 years ago

It was just the one. I'll try to remember to take pictures before I mod the boards for LEDs.

ken

#8 7 years ago

It was the 5ohm 10W resister that broke. See attached pictures. Second picture shows where the trace was blown off (in red circle). The first pic shows the end of the 5 ohm resister where the wire broke right at the surface of the resistor.

ken

20160910_220510_001 (resized).jpg20160910_220510_001 (resized).jpg
20160910_220542_001a (resized).jpg20160910_220542_001a (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Yellowdog.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-14-flasher-issues?tu=Yellowdog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.