DSC01339.JPG
f14 early.jpg
f14 late.jpg
212881.jpg
DSC01337.JPG
DSC01336.JPG
DSC01334.JPG
#1 8 years ago

Just picked up a project F-14. Need some help in determining if it is late or early in the production run. Here's what I can tell you. Model 554 SN 104643 date of man. 87153. No domes on top, no score display ( wiring harness for it is there ) red flasners in the back of the playfield and no flashers under the plastics. By the look of the 2 holes near the missing flashers, it appears to never had a screw driven in the small holes. I feel it is a later production but wanted to make sure before ordering the score display. Can you tell by the score display wiring harness? Thanks for the help.

#2 8 years ago

Thanks for all the help.

#3 8 years ago

late production. Early have clear flashers and beacons etc

#4 8 years ago

Do the playfield arrow inserts have individual lamp sockets or are they on a long circuit boards?

The boards came latter.

#5 8 years ago

also there is different cab art on some and a different display with gi in it like millionaire with the credit and ball in play display gone.

#6 8 years ago

If I remember correctly, when it comes to early or late as it relates to the displays, the mounting and/or display openings in the speaker/display board are different between early and late. You may want to take some measurements of that area and send it to your aftermarket display provider and ask which one will work.

#7 8 years ago
DSC01334.JPGDSC01334.JPG DSC01336.JPGDSC01336.JPG DSC01337.JPGDSC01337.JPG
#8 8 years ago

need to see the other side of the display board and hopefully I will be able to see if it looks like my early f14 or like my millionaire display mounting style [same basic size display as early f-14 with ball and credit still onboard]. My f14 is packed up right now but I do not mind breaking it out to help.
Would you happen to have or have access to; fire , cyclone or late space station pinball machines? They use the same display as a late f-14.

#9 8 years ago

The early display has 4 holes for the lamps below the readouts

212881.jpg212881.jpg
#10 8 years ago
f14 late.jpgf14 late.jpg
#11 8 years ago
f14 early.jpgf14 early.jpg
#12 8 years ago

I do not have any display boards, I will take a pic of the backside of the display board. Vid, I posted those other pics to show you what kind of lights are under the insert arrows. The insert arrows hear the flippers have a board with lights mounted to them but as you can see from the pice the 2 long set of insert arrows and seperate mounts. Pic in a few of the backside of the display, thanks again for all the help.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from gjm:

The insert arrows hear the flippers have a board with lights mounted to them but as you can see from the pice the 2 long set of insert arrows and seperate mounts.

So your game is not a late one.

#14 8 years ago

Sorry about the typo above, I meant to say I do have the display board to take a pic of the back of it. Been a long day.

#15 8 years ago

So then some early models had red lenses in the back of the playfield and no flashers (2) under the plastics"tomcat"?

#16 8 years ago

My F14 has separate light sockets on the inserts and a later display board, so if you are trying to determine what display board you need, that would not be the best indicator.

#17 8 years ago

LouMatt, what would be then the best indicator in your opiion?

#18 8 years ago

Just look at the mounting bracket for the display.

You can see the spacing difference.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from gjm:

So then some early models had red lenses in the back of the playfield and no flashers (2) under the plastics"tomcat"?

Many owners have switched their lenses over the years, trying to make their game look like an early one.

One guy was even trying to say his game was a "prototype" because he had installed clear lenses.

#20 8 years ago
DSC01339.JPGDSC01339.JPG
#21 8 years ago

Vid1900, Interesting, if that therory is correct, then why not switch the red lenses to clear in the back of the playfield and install flashers under the 2 plastics? You have forgotten more than I know about this pin but I am asking out of curiosity not disrespect.

#22 8 years ago

Because as stated above, I have red lenses, not clear, no flashers under the plastics and no top domes.

#23 8 years ago

yup the early displays have the gi for ball in play, credit and game over like on millionaire [no point on f-14 as there is no highlighted text to backlight] and it lacks the 5th display...but its the same size and shape.

ALSO the early games have a U shaped channel the backglass sits in not an H shape. Mine is an early game and has no H style metal/plastic trim holding the speaker panel facia in that the backglass sits in when installed....know what I mean?.
It is also like millionaire with the plastic speaker display panel mounted with glue/2sided tape. IE;You could remove it with out even pulling the backglass off.
I would bet on looking at your front trim [speaker panel bg mount trim is H not a U] and display mounts..its the later model.

I will verify 100% when I get a picture or 2 of mine with the display off for all to see.

#24 8 years ago

Lots of info in this thread, if you haven't seen it:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/early-model-f-14-display-question

Although odds are you have a later one...looks like it based on your mounting pic and Vid's pic of the later pin score display replacement.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-14-early-or-late-production and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.