(Topic ID: 85836)

F-14 Diverter - How's it supposed to work.

By boneman91

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Gorno
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I just brought home an F-14 today. Looked great at the guy's house, and played well as best I could tell. But when I got it home and started to actually play it, I realized that the diverter system in the upper left wasn't working. Can anyone who owns this game tell me how it is supposed to work? Which wire rack does the ball go down first? What makes the diverter arms activate? Is it random or do they go in some sort of order? Do the arms activate only if the Lock is lit?

I'd like to know how it's supposed to work before I start messing with it. Hard to know if I have it fixed right if I don't know what right is.....

Thanks

#2 10 years ago

Mine was random to which gate it sent the ball to not sure if mine was right tho either

#3 10 years ago

You light targets spelling TOMCAT which then lights red light on the correct diverter. Then shoot ball in the upper right vuk and ball is shot into wire rack and rolls down to the diverter, diverter fires and puts ball into the lower wire rack. Then another ball is put into the shooter lane, you lanch into play and spell TOMCAT again and so on until you have three balls locked then spell TOMCAT with forth ball and put ball in VUK and a four ball multiball starts.

#4 10 years ago

Go into solenoid test mode and see if the diverter arms work.

#5 10 years ago

I believe they should go in order from bottom to top if you are looking at the lanes where the lights are. The bottom lock will light first, then middle, then top.

#6 10 years ago

Thanks guys. Only the top diverter works in solenoid test mode......During game play the ball usually goes into the bottom rack, occasionally into the top rack, but never in the middle rack. During switch test mode none of the three switches on the wire rack work. I'm ordering replacements..... Gonna take the ramp apart and start tracing wires, etc tomorrow. I'll let you know what I find.

10 months later
#7 9 years ago
Quoted from boneman91:

Can anyone who owns this game tell me how it is supposed to work? Which wire rack does the ball go down first? What makes the diverter arms activate? Is it random or do they go in some sort of order? Do the arms activate only if the Lock is lit?
I'd like to know how it's supposed to work before I start messing with it. Hard to know if I have it fixed right if I don't know what right is.....
Thanks

I am curious about this as well. Is it random? Also during the initial plunge of the game, what gate should the ball be entering? I noticed that during the plunge I have managed to get it into either of the top gates.

#8 9 years ago

It will always divert the ball into a lit lock if there is one. Otherwise I think it's fairly random. I sometimes think it diverts into the centre lock with the most TOMCAT targets still to shoot for. That way when the ball ejects and loops round the top, when it gets to the flipper you've got better chance to light something.

#9 9 years ago

The diverter sends the ball to the center lock that will shoot the ball out the loop to set you up for the best shot on the top TOM CAT targets.

So, it you have TO_ and C__ the diverter will drop the ball in the right lock, the ball Shoots out around the inner loop so that your lined up to hit the AT targets.

If you've already hit the CAT targets, the diverter drops in the left lock, so your lined up to hit the TOM targets once the ball is shot around the inner loop.

I thought I read this in the manual, but I might have just figured it out through playing around.

#10 9 years ago

Thanks for the replies. It looks like mine is functioning correctly.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-14-diverter-hows-it-supposed-to-work and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.