(Topic ID: 115279)

F-14 Displays. Difference between early and late production.

By MrArt2u

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by lg
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider LongJohns.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 4 years ago

Display boards are fairly easy to troubleshoot.

Refering to the display schematic.

U5, U1, U6, U2, U13, U12 and U9 are simply drivers for the displays - converts low voltage to high voltage to drive them. If you have a signal going in, it wil drive the corresponding segment.

U13 = player 1 & 2 display (extra characters), U12 = player 1 & 2 display (numeric characters only), U9 = player 3 & 4 display. U13, U12 and U9 are driven by non-inverting buffers for the inputs to the drivers (voltage in = voltage out).

U5, U1, U6 and U2 basically control which display is being updated.

U3, U4 ,U7, U8 are a TTL logic buffered NOR gate (datasheet here: https://www.fairchildsemi.com/datasheets/CD/CD4011BC.pdf ) NOR gate truth table here: http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Projects/CAL/digital-logic/gatesfunc/index.html#norgate

Basically if you have both inputs low you will get a high output, so for U8, pin 12 and 13 have to be low to geta high output on pin 11.

So measure voltage at each input and see if the output corresponds - if not bad chip (make sure you check the voltage supply is present on the IC's as well).

You also need to check to make sure you have high voltage for the displays as well: R10, R12, R14 and R17 should have +90v while R11, R13, R15 and R16 should have -100v.

Hopefully that makes some sense.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from StylesBitchly:

LongJones
Are the U chips driving my pinscore as well. I am having intermittent LED segments on Player 1 and 2 windows. Or is this a problem with the Pinscore display board?

Sorry not familiar with the pinscore display.

The U chips I mentioned above are located on the original scoreboard - if you replaced the OEM board with a pinscore one, then you don't have those chips (they would be using some other driver chips for LED's). I would guess you have a problem with the pinscore unit.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Canfield, OH
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider LongJohns.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside