• Latest reply 12 years ago by GenericGuy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo.JPG
#1 12 years ago

Over the weekend I picked up an F-14 machine that has what I hope is a minor display issue. The game plays fine, but the "C" line on the display is not displaying on both Player 1 and Player 2. (See photo.) All other parts of the display appear as normal.

I have downloaded the manual and started going through the schematics. I've checked the ribbon cable and am pretty sure that is not the issue.

Is there anybody who has encountered this problem before who has a few good ideas about what to check next?

photo.JPGphoto.JPG

#2 12 years ago

First step is to make sure the connections from board to display are both secure. You can even disconnect and re-seat them to make sure you have a secure connection. That is always the first step with this issue since it is easy to do and often solves the problem. Try that and let us know if it works or not.

#3 12 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

First step is to make sure the connections from board to display are both secure. You can even disconnect and re-seat them to make sure you have a secure connection. That is always the first step with this issue since it is easy to do and often solves the problem. Try that and let us know if it works or not.

I completely unplugged the display, removed it, visually inspected it for anything abnormal (all looked good) and checked resistors on the display with my multimeter. All that seemed fine. I think it is probably a problem on the main board of the machine.

#4 12 years ago

Try reseating the Roms

#5 12 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

Try reseating the Roms

The game powers-up and plays just fine. I just checked the ROMs and it does not seem to make any difference. I have removed the display board from the machine and noticed it is model D-11610, which does not match the schematics I found online.

Anybody have an idea if I took a logic probe (I would need to buy one) if that is the right tool to see if data is being sent to the display? I assume that would allow me to isolate whether the problem is on the main board or on the display board.

#6 12 years ago
Quoted from GenericGuy:

checked resistors on the display with my multimeter

If your resistors where still in the board you will get a false reading. You either need to float a pin or remove it completely to get a good reading.

#7 12 years ago
Quoted from jrrdw:

If your resistors where still in the board you will get a false reading. You either need to float a pin or remove it completely to get a good reading.

Thanks for letting me know. Just found the right D-11610 schematics is the manual for Cyclone, and R7 will be the first component I investigate.

#8 12 years ago

How are the batteries in this machine? Any sign of leakage? Bad connection??? I may be mistaken but I think I read somewhere that bad battery holder would cause the symptom...

#9 12 years ago

Someone had a similar problem in the past with the top row of digits not illuminating. The problem turned out to be broken traces on the MPU board due to battery corrosion. Check behind the battery holder.

#10 12 years ago

I would agree with the broken traces assesment. Follow the traces on the board from the pin connector. Look for broken or corroded resistors or traces. Check solder joints too. Sometimes all it takes is a solder reflow to get things going again. Do all of this with the machine OFF! I fried a display board doing it the wrong way.

#11 12 years ago

I would put a high priority on loose pins too. I'm thinking that it would likely be in the connections because it is happening across the whole display.

Also, check all the easy stuff first. I hate it when I try everything difficult before checking the easy stuff. It takes ten times as long, and is way too much work.

#12 12 years ago
Quoted from donjagra:

Also, check all the easy stuff first. I hate it when I try everything difficult before checking the easy stuff. It takes ten times as long, and is way too much work.

Great advice!

#13 12 years ago
Quoted from jrrdw:

How are the batteries in this machine? Any sign of leakage? Bad connection??? I may be mistaken but I think I read somewhere that bad battery holder would cause the symptom...

Well, popped the batteries out of the holder and they look fine. I have no idea if the battery holder is original, but there is absolutely no sign of corrosion around it. A repair was done to the transistor for the pop bumper, but that is in another part of the board and does not look related. The player 3 display has been replaced, but looks well done and doesn't appear related to the current problem.

I only purchased the machine this past weekend, so I am unsure how long the problem has existed.

Thanks for the advice so far everybody.

#14 12 years ago

Went back one more time with my multimeter and checked each pin leading from microchip U41 through SRC2 up to the pins on IJ22. The part between U41 and SRC2 is what goes under the battery holder. Everything seems to be fine in terms of the circuit being closed. I then double checked each pin for shorts and found no problems. So, I do not think it is related to broken traces under the battery holder.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-14-display-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.