(Topic ID: 230031)

F-14 Coil locking on w/ mpu disconnected?

By megalo17

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by megalo17
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

snubber (resized).jpg
snubber (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
2F423C86-704D-4BF5-BCEE-C534196AC36B (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
189FCD34-B46A-415C-B5F1-85D91B50E733 (resized).jpeg
3AF1DAED-C4DF-43EF-B1AB-BF8C3862CA17 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider megalo17.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

F-14 (system 11A): What could cause a coil to lock on with the mpu disconnected? Locks on immediately upon power up and will blow the fuse within 1.5 sec. It's the right center eject. Snubber board has been removed and inspected. Resistor is shot, like most, but relay seems to be ok (open b/w GND and COIL lugs). Coil diode was failed open, but this shouldn't lock it on, correct? Coil resistance is 4.2 ohms, which is proper (AE-23-800-11 coil). Scratching my head. I've got to be missing something on the snubber board? Nothing else in the circuit, right?

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Check the violet\green wire on the coil to see if it's grounded.

I tried that. Not sure if the gnd wire in the front of the cab was good, but showed open, however, I didn't get continuity from that wire from snubber to mpu. I'll double check my results. And thank you for all the help you provide us! All the old posts I research have a few names that always pop up to offer assistance...

#5 5 years ago

I believe so. I thought I read that C-11232, -1, or -2 could all be used. Trying to find that. C-11232 is what was there.

189FCD34-B46A-415C-B5F1-85D91B50E733 (resized).jpeg189FCD34-B46A-415C-B5F1-85D91B50E733 (resized).jpeg3AF1DAED-C4DF-43EF-B1AB-BF8C3862CA17 (resized).jpeg3AF1DAED-C4DF-43EF-B1AB-BF8C3862CA17 (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#6 5 years ago

Nevermind. I misinterpreted the notes in the solenoid table.

#7 5 years ago

Manual shows this coil should be "A" part of A/C relay. Mine shows its the "C" side?

2F423C86-704D-4BF5-BCEE-C534196AC36B (resized).jpeg2F423C86-704D-4BF5-BCEE-C534196AC36B (resized).jpeg
#8 5 years ago

This is what I'm seeing for actual wiring...

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#9 5 years ago

Bounced it off another F-14 and the wiring looks correct. I get my brain wires crossed between the a/c relay and the snubber board.

#10 5 years ago

690 ohms between purple/green wire and ground.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

The picture shows your coil is mounted incorrectly. It looks like the diode leads and coil terminals are shorted to the coil bracket. The coil should be rotated to the right 90 degrees.

Yeah, noticed that. Bought this at auction... It's mounted correctly now and still fires immediately at power up. Thanks tho!

2 weeks later
#16 5 years ago

Sorry, just getting back to this. A nice snowy day to work on pinball... D5 reads good. The 600 ohm reading I was getting was with the purple/green driver wire connected to the snubber board. After disconnecting (and starting to replace it), I realized it was measuring the resistance across the snubber relay coil to ground. I checked D5 and D13 (both sides of the a/c select relay) w/ wires disconnected (unnecessarily) and they read good. Grey/green wire from diode board to Q31 isn't shorted. +24V brown wire on snubber board is reading 150 ohms, same as on the other snubber boards. I don't really understand why a power wire would be grounded, although some of the snubber schematics show it tied in to the gnd pad. I'm gonna chase that, as it's all I've really got at this point. Hoping my logic isn't flawed...

#18 5 years ago

I would assume the same thing. Purple green reads open when it's disconnected.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Disconnected from the relay board but connected to the diode board, correct?

Correct. I think I'll power it up with the snubber board disconnected, ensuring the fuse doesn't blow. Then methodically reattach one lead at a time (w/ power off obviously).

#22 5 years ago

Welp, not sure what I did, but it works... Cleaned off the diode board. Maybe that did it? Regardless, thanks for the help! I have a good understanding of the snubber boards and a/c relays now (at least for the next month). Pinsiders like Grumpy and Ken are great assets to the community.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider megalo17.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-14-coil-locking-on-w-mpu-disconnected?tu=megalo17 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.