Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20170427_175550 (resized).jpg
AdvanceStrobes (resized).jpg
High-power-96-LED-Car-strobe-Led-warning-light-Flashing-blue-red-white-dash-lamp-Police (resized).jpg
005 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
#1 6 years ago

I have a F-14 Tomcat that I will say has a nice patina. Due to monitory issues I don't see a full restoration in the near future. Years ago I guess that the beacons failed and someone removed them and covered the holes up with a piece of plywood. Since I am on a budget I assume a set of original beacons are out of reach. I don't have any of the becon parts except for maybe a stray wire connector and a set of belts that came in my rebuild kit.

Has anyone come up with a reasonably priced alternative for the beacons or should I just get a nicer piece of plywood and call it done.

#2 6 years ago

Without the mechs, the best approach I could think of would be to come up with a board that takes the motor wiring as an on signal and then cycles a few flashers mounted where the beacons are.

Not sure what you'd use as lens, but I'm sure you could think of something. Turn a few of these upside down.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

Ok, silly, but where there's a will there's a way.

#3 6 years ago

I mounted red and blue LED strobes to the top of my High Speed when I had it, about $25 from EBay. You could easily do something like that. There's even some red, white and blue strobes out there.

005 (resized).jpg005 (resized).jpg

High-power-96-LED-Car-strobe-Led-warning-light-Flashing-blue-red-white-dash-lamp-Police (resized).jpgHigh-power-96-LED-Car-strobe-Led-warning-light-Flashing-blue-red-white-dash-lamp-Police (resized).jpg

#4 6 years ago

Depending on what reasonably priced means and if they run off of 12v like the Gottlieb beacons do you can look at car lights. On my mario mushroom world I just bought one of these beacons off of amazon and added the correct molex connector. The hardest part is finding a clear light, those seem to be more expensive models.

https://www.amazon.com/Wolo-3105-B-Rotating-Emergency-Warning/dp/B000BNH0UE/ref=sr_1_1

These wouldn't be nearly as cheap but would look sort of correct.
AdvanceStrobes (resized).jpgAdvanceStrobes (resized).jpg

Thanks to the powers of the internet these just showed up in a sidebar ad for ebay after I had searched, not bad for $35 shipped:
ebay.com link: 10W LED 12V 24V Vehicle Roof Beacon Flash Warning Strobe Emergency Light Blue
ebay.com link: 10W LED Vehicle Roof Beacon Flash Warning Strobe Emergency Light 12V 24V White
ebay.com link: 10W LED 12V 24V Vehicle Roof Beacon Flash Warning Strobe Emergency Light Red

#5 6 years ago

Good Afternoon.

Thanks for all of the responses.

I especially appreciate the last one with the eBay links... That is what I call affordable.

I know for the purest it isn't right but unless I get lucky and find someone parting out an F-14 the last choice seems viable.

Might anyone know the size of the original beacons?
These seem to be 3.5" wide by 4.5" tall

I know that the wiring diagram is somewhere around the house but I am not sure where.
Can anyone tell me if there the motor was 12-24 v and more importantly, when did these run?
Do they turn on during scoring or constantly when the machine was on?

I hope that they didn't strobe constantly otherwise I might have to install an inline switch.

#6 6 years ago

From memory, they turn on during attract mode and during multiball. They aren't on constantly during play.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Bobster99:

I know that the wiring diagram is somewhere around the house but I am not sure where.
Can anyone tell me if there the motor was 12-24 v and more importantly, when did these run?
Do they turn on during scoring or constantly when the machine was on?
I hope that they didn't strobe constantly otherwise I might have to install an inline switch.

Motor is 24V AC. Replacements are available at Marco
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/14-7946E

The beacons are controlled by an automotive style relay turned on by a transistor just like any other controlled coil, at certain times, if I remember correctly they turn on when you have locked all the balls to prepare for multiball, at the end of the game they go on for a bit during attract and then shut off.

#8 6 years ago

Wayout440 is correct, it is a 24vac motor and lamps.

I have all the parts to put another beacon mechanism together but am short the pulleys at the moment, just need to order some. Price is $215 plus shipping. It is plug and play as long as you have the factory 3 pin molex connector on your harness. Does not come with the 3 dome lenses but Marco has the White and Blue, I might let go of my spare red dome.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-7981-10 Blue
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-7981-5 White
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-7981 Red is currently out of stock

IMG_20170427_175550 (resized).jpgIMG_20170427_175550 (resized).jpg

#9 6 years ago

You can do it with 12vdc car beacons. I have them in my F14

I think 25vac got half wave rectified and fed through the relay that kicks on the beacons. Use a piece of wood across the top hung on some wing nuts to hold them in place.

#10 6 years ago

I have a used becon assembly, think it will need belts. Don't think I have any domes left but I will look.

#11 6 years ago

Beware of beacons that simply "Blink" or Flash. Since all three are turned on and off via the same power source, unless you can adjust the blink speed, All three would be on and off at the same time.

For a sub, ideally you would want the ones with the LEDs strips that are sequenced in a circle to simulate the spinning reflector but these can get expensive and you might not be able to find white or clear.

Based on the Wolo Hawkeye videos on youtube for the ones linked above, they are indeed spinners. But the Clear one features blue and red LEDs (not white).

Original domes measure 5.25" inside diameter, 5 5/8" OD, with a flange (that mounts on the top of the head) of 6 3/4" Diameter.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Beware of beacons that simply "Blink" or Flash. Since all three are turned on and off via the same power source, unless you can adjust the blink speed, All three would be on and off at the same time.
For a sub, ideally you would want the ones with the LEDs strips that are sequenced in a circle to simulate the spinning reflector but these can get expensive and you might not be able to find white or clear.
Based on the Wolo Hawkeye videos on youtube for the ones linked above, they are indeed spinners. But the Clear one features blue and red LEDs (not white).
Original domes measure 5.25" inside diameter, 5 5/8" OD, with a flange (that mounts on the top of the head) of 6 3/4" Diameter.

I still had the original domes in my F14. Just no beacon assembly. The wolo ( think that was the brand) fit right up into the existing holes and domes.

1 month later
#13 6 years ago

Anybody know the best place to get replacement beacon bulbs?Original or led?I checked with pinball bulbs this morning with no luck.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Brian541:

Anybody know the best place to get replacement beacon bulbs?Original or led?I checked with pinball bulbs this morning with no luck.

I think those bulbs are the same bulbs used in the turn signals on cars/trucks.

Check your local auto parts store.

3 years later
#15 3 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I think those bulbs are the same bulbs used in the turn signals on cars/trucks.
Check your local auto parts store.

I realize I'm digging this thread up from the dead, but just in case anybody else is looking at it from a search - no - the F14 beacon bulbs are 28V #1683; if you use a common 12V automotive bulb it will go off like an old school flash bulb the very instant the game lights it up.

You can find 1683 bulbs at many sources, not just pinball suppliers. They were used in military vehicles which have a 24V system. While some suppliers *really* price gouge on them, if you do some hunting you will find them extremely cheap, like less than $1/ea in small quantities...in my hunting just now, found a seller on the 'bay with a good supply of 10 count boxes for $6.

Richard

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-14-beacons and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.