7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by ff6735
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ff6735.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Played about 10 games on MET (PRO) in a row. Mid ball, Flippers stopped responding and balls drained.
Within about 15 seconds I noticed an electrical odor. Shortly after that I observed actual smoke coming from behind the playfield. Immediately shut down the game, pulled the translite and raised the playfield.
Turned the game back on, heard 2 arching noises but could not decipher where they were were coming from exactly.
Popped open the coin door as I assumed it was coil related as the flippers stopped working.
Observed proceeded with Coil Test (none would activate) even when holding the coin door interrupt in. Closed coin door and confirmed that F-10 (LED) is NOT on.
Obviously I'll have to replace the fuse, but before doing so I'd like to diagnose what caused the failure to begin with. My guess is it is a coil that perhaps locked on. I attempted to visually inspect the coils and associated connections and cannot determine which may be the issue. On a side note I did rebuild my stand up target assembly earlier today and all seemed well with it but I cannot eliminate it as the potential problem.

So my questions to you folks is where to begin? How do I test or determine if it was a specific coil? Secondly, I'm assuming I need to start testing resistors on J6/J7 part of the driver board with a DMM to determine if one of them failed (again, a guess). Open to all suggestions and thanks in advance. (I'd call stern but it's after hours)

#3 7 years ago

After digging further, the coil wrap on Sparky looks like shit and I'm fairly certain that sparky is my issue.
Having said that.....why would he fail or lock on? Resistor issue?

#5 7 years ago

After searching through some old threads I think I have it narrowed down to the single transistor board located beneath sparky. Seems other pinsiders have had the same problem a few times after digging through old threads. Having said that I have ordered a new transistor board and coil to replace and see how it works.

Thanks LTG.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
7,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 25.50
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ff6735.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-10-fuse-blown-smokeodor-help-diagnosing?tu=ff6735 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.