5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by evanc
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DE47F912-43C9-4F0C-B5A3-0E3ADF47CF2F (resized).jpeg
    #1 5 years ago

My eyeglasses have a coating that is starting to wrinkle making my glass annoying to wear. I keep cleaning, but they aren't dirty, it's whatever is coated to the lenses. Has anyone used Novus to clean their lenses? I have read about other solutions for polishing/removing reflective coating, but I have Novus 1, 2, and 3 sitting in the closest. I figure one of the three would work. Thoughts?

#2 5 years ago

I don't think I'd try that.

#3 5 years ago

It’ll probably buff the coating off.

That could be a good thing. Could also be a bad thing.

If they need replacing what have you got to lose? Buff em up!

rd

#4 5 years ago

If your referring to an anti reflective coating novus will not work , if the scratch resistant coating is peeling it will not work. Next time get the basic plastic lenses as they do not have a coating to peel off.
    Polycarbonate lenses have a greater tendency to craze or peel.

#5 5 years ago

I’m with Jeff1960.

I’m sick of paying for the anti reflective coating only to have it deteriorate over time to the point you can’t use the glasses. I won’t be purchasing that in the future.

The product in the photo has worked well for me in completely removing the coating leaving a clear lens. You can find some good YouTube vids demonstrating the process.

DE47F912-43C9-4F0C-B5A3-0E3ADF47CF2F (resized).jpegDE47F912-43C9-4F0C-B5A3-0E3ADF47CF2F (resized).jpeg
    #6 5 years ago

Oh yeah, the coating is a no go. I had some expensive sunglasses and the coating started off within 6 months. Crappy.

rd

#7 5 years ago

Thanks guys. I read about the Armour Etch when G searching, but I'm really not sure if I have plastic or glass lenses. They are transitions, but could go either way. However, I'm pretty sure it has the feel of plastic which is why I thought Novus might be able to take the coating off. I'll order some Armor Etch and if it messes the lenses up; oh well, need now ones anyway at this point.

#8 5 years ago

As an optician, anywhere you guys are going that won’t warranty your AR coating for at least a year, if not two depending on the brand of AR, isn’t worth revisiting. That’s a standard warranty and anytime AR crazes or peels it gets a warranty remake. I always always always recommend AR, best thing you can do to a pair of glasses. It’s like standard glass vs the invisiglass on a pinball machine. I would just call your optical shop before messing them up in case the lenses are under warranty. Now if they’re a couple years old and it’s time for new lenses like you say, I’d have some fun.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eyeglass-restoration-novus?hl=evanc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.