(Topic ID: 83508)

Extremely strange behavior from Monopoly chance kickout solonoid.

By CadillacMusic

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Dayhuff
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

This monopoly will be the death of me. It keeps developing odd solonoid behaviors. Originally, it was with the 20v solonoids. They'd pulse very weakly - weakly enough that the electric company couldn't kick out. They'd behave fine in test mode, but during the game they'd just barely fire. We brought it in from the field. I changed out the driver board, the solonoid, the ROM, the transformer...everything I could think of. Didn't fix the problem. I just gave up and started stealing parts from it.

I stole both boards for other games, and the CPU board seemed to be messed up. So I thought I'd try getting it working again. Put back the parts I stole, put in a brand-spankin'-new CPU board, a known working driver board, and turned her on. Original prblem gone (yay!). New problem arises. The Chance kickout solonoid now won't kick out properly. Similar symptoms. I can literally put a ball into it during play, and watch it struggle and not kick it out, then hit the test mode button, and watch it kick the ball like a mule. What the heck is going on? If it were a code issue, other people would have this problem. If it were a transistor, wiring, or solonoid fault, it wouldn't be able to kick during test mode. I've tried turning off both the bank, motor, and motor relay. No dice. Any ideas, anyone?

#2 10 years ago

Roms.... Recently experienced something similar in TSPP with the Otto kickout..... Worked all day long in test, behaved exactly as you stated (super weak) during game).

You said you swapped them, but were they both burned from the same .bin file?

#3 10 years ago

No, one was the original 2.02 ROM, the other was a burned 3.02 Rom, at least according to the file. It was the ROMs in your TSPP?

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from CadillacMusic:

No, one was the original 2.02 ROM, the other was a burned 3.02 Rom, at least according to the file. It was the ROMs in your TSPP?

Yep... For whatever reason, version 5.0 was causing the issue and version 3 was not. I didn't do a full burn on the whole set of roms though, just the CPU and display. I don't have the game, but the next step would have been to reburn the full set of roms (including sound) just to eliminate any logic that may be hanging out there.

#5 10 years ago

I didn't try a display ROM switch...not like it could hurt, I guess. I did swap the board though. Might as well try a different version CPU ROM as well. How very weird, though. Is it some kind of bug brought about by running a ROM that was build for a version 1 CPU in a version 2 CPU?

#6 10 years ago

Ok, I took all the sound ROMs out, because if they're not there, they can't interfere. Tried a new display ROM, nada. Tried the 3.20 cpu: wouldn't boot for me. 2.33 booted fine, but same problem. Anyone have a real early rom, like version 1. something?

#7 10 years ago

I am assuming you also did a factory reset after install?

#8 10 years ago

To be honest, no, I didn't think of it. Will try tomorrow. Thanks for being so helpful, Ralph.

#9 10 years ago

No better with the factory reset on either the 2.33 or the 3.02. Can't think of what else to do.

5 years later
#10 4 years ago

Sorry to bring this old post back but has anyone figured out what makes the kick out coils so weak? I have TSPP, Monopoly and Apollo 13 all with the same problem.

John

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Vienna, VA
4,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fishers, IN
$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, NY
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/extremely-strange-behavior-from-monopoly-chance-kickout-solonoid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.